Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Tyler the creator... of utter crap

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:20 pm
on the 13th my favorite singer posted on her bands website saying "When will misogynistic and homophobic ranting and raving result in meaningful repercussions in the entertainment industry? When will they be treated with the same seriousness as racist and anti-Semitic offenses? While an artist who can barely get a sentence fragment out without using homophobic slurs is celebrated on the cover of every magazine, blog and newspaper, I’m disheartened that any self-respecting human being could stand in support with a message so vile.

As journalists and colleagues defend, excuse and congratulate ‘Tyler, the Creator,’ I find it impossible not to comment. In any other industry would I be expected to tolerate, overlook and find deeper meaning in this kid’s sickening rhetoric? Why should I care about this music or its “brilliance” when the message is so repulsive and irresponsible? There is much that upsets me in this world, and this certainly isn’t the first time I’ve drafted an open letter or complaint, but in the past I’ve found an opinion – some like-minded commentary – that let me rest assured that my outrage, my voice, had been accounted for. Not this time.

If any of the bands whose records are held in similar esteem as Goblin had lyrics littered with rape fantasies and slurs, would they be labeled hate mongers? I realize I could ask that question of DOZENS of other artists, but is Tyler exempt because people are afraid of the backlash? The inevitable claim that detractors are being racist, or the brush-off that not “getting it” would indicate that you’re “old” (or a f*****t)? Because, the more I think about it, the more I think people don’t actually want to go up against this particular bully because he’s popular. Who sticks up for women and gay people now? It seems entirely uncool to do so in the indie rock world, and I’ll argue that point with ANYONE.

No genre is without its controversial and offensive characters- I’m not naive. I’ve asked myself a thousand times why this is pushing me over the edge. Maybe it’s the access to him (his grotesque twitter, etc). Maybe it’s because I’m a human being, both a girl and a lesbian. Maybe it’s because my mom has spent her whole adult life working with teenage girls who were victims of sexual assault. Maybe it’s because in this case I don’t think race or class actually has anything to do with his hateful message but has EVERYTHING to do with why everyone refuses to admonish him for that message.

It is not without great hesitation and hand wringing that I enter into the discourse about Tyler, the media who glorifies and excuses misogyny and homophobia, and the community of artists that doesn’t seem remotely bothered by it. I can only hope that someone reading this might be inspired to speak out. At the very least, I will know that my voice is on record."

yeah he anwsered with something along the lines of "If Tegan and Sara want some d**k they can hit me." on television. I know he's just another hater but he's a rapper. he's in the media. the media effects the minds of children and they're the future. anyways this entire thing can be summed up into one sentence: tyler, the creator of complete and utter crap is an a*****e.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:02 pm
Tyler the creator is a troll, a successful one if you can't see that he's trolling. In fact, he's performed at gay rallies before he hit the mainsteam, not to mention two members of his crew are in fact gay. In his song "We all Try", frank ocean of ofwgkta said "I believe that marriage isn't between a man and woman but between love and love". The fact remains though that tyler(the persona) doesn't give a ******** about anything or anyone, he's a hate machine and he wouldn't really be a convincing one if he says ******** god, ******** blacks, jews, but you homosexuals are ok. No, his character is unbashed visceral for everything, he's a nihilist, he compares himself to satan and big ups hitler for christ sakes. He's not singling out gays or women persee, just everyone and you guys are caught up in that and you feel some way about that. I don't mind his racist lyrics like because they're genuinely clever and they have a mean sting that soothes the darkest recesses of us all. It's the same logic behind why people enjoy violent movies, not because they are violent people necessarily, it's just an escape and personally if I had to only listen to softcore progressive music I would probably kill myself.

"Somebody tell Justin Beiber that I'm ********' coming
Ain't no point in runnin', I'm a *****, just a little eager
So I catch him stretchin', have him guessin' where his cracker throat
Chop his balls off and use his skin to make a baby coat"- Tyler the Creator, "Cult s**t"

"when you hear a sound that doesn't make sense like n*gger kids wearing cap and gowns"- Tyler the Creator "Cult s**t"

"Kill people burn s**t ******** school" Tyler the creator, Goblin, Radical

"Then you smoke a J of weed, and take his kids to the churches
Uh, f*ck church, they singin' and the s**t ain't even worth it
In the choir, whores and liars, scumbags and the dirt, b*tch
You told me God was the answer
When I ask him for s**t, I get no answer, so God is the cancer
I'm stuck in triangles, lookin' for my angel
Kill me with a chainsaw, and let my balls dangle
Triple six is my number, you can get it off my Tumblr"- Anti religion, blasphemy and self mutilation.

The last one isn't tyler but you get the point.

He makes music for the Id, he doesn't pretend to be altruistic or self righteous. It's dark music for the sake of being edgy, not because he hates gays or women. Theres a difference between hatemonger music with an agenda and OF. I wouldn't quite put OF and a band like neo nazi screwdriver in the same category.

If you don't like his music, don't listen easy as that, but some are drawn to his style of nihilism. I would describe his music as take no prisoners, nothing is sacred. There's a bit of sex pistols with ICP there.  

ExodusNirvana

Dapper Gaian

825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

kittycross

Shameless Phantom

11,900 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:35 pm
Huh. Never heard of him.
It sounds essentially like what 2live crew was in the 80s: kill this, destroy that bitches, rape them with flashlights and they'll get to liking it because women are whores but maybe switch the whole pro-gang and gun thing for some more directed homophobic remarks.
Same s**t, Different day.
How is is this supposed to be innovative? is there some musical talent or it it just this generations 'negative attention is still attention so I'm going to get a lot of it' band?
Forgive me if I'm cynical in my old age of 34, but this will pass and there will be another just like him.
I agree with ExodusNirvana's summation that he's a 'troll' and the more you feed it, the bigger it gets. Look up the Parents Music Resource Center and all the chaos and money made off of controversy during the 80s.

I think time is better spent educating people, especially children, so they don't become Tyler the Creators rather than trying to censor someones choice or method of expression, no matter how repugnant it maybe.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:46 pm
kittycross
time is better spent educating people, especially children, so they don't become Tyler the Creators rather than trying to censor someones choice or method of expression, no matter how repugnant it maybe.

This.  

Robbie-fyed

Beloved Lunatic

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 pm
I don't like it when people abuse their right of free speech.
Whenever someone says something really rude and offensive and someone calls them out on it, they always have to play the "I have the right to say whatever the #@%$ I want. This is America" card.
People just need to be more considerate of others.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:26 pm
If Satan put a sign on the deepest, darkest pit of hell, it would have to include "Welcome to my hole! population:Satan and Tyler"(And any other mongers, I don't know any >.>)  

Squire Kaito

Newbie Noob

3,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Member 100

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:00 pm
It's funny to me that people think that they can still be successful by being a shock jockey in this day in age. We have the internet, now. Who but the youngest child has not been desensitized enough to find this "innovative" in any sense of the word?
And no, I've never heard of him, either. Why not talk about more famous rappers who make homophobic remarks, like Eminem?  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games