Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
My cats hate to be brushed.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pompoennetje

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 am
But they both somehow (No idea what the reason could be) hate to be brushed.

Suki, she has semi-long hair. A mix between a tabby and a Maine Coon. She has no undercoat (is that even the correct word?) So first I thought I used a brush that was too sharp for her? But no matter what kind of brush I buy, she hates it. (she'll end up biting and walking away. Holding her makes her pissed off). So I gave up on her.

Hiro, A white with black kitty, who has an undercoat. Hates to be brushed as well. His fur is thicker and less softer. And whenever I try to bruh him he uses his paws and nails to grab onto the brush to bite in it.
Makes it hard for me to brush him. gonk

Anyone else has this same experience with their cats?
& Should I just let them take care of their own fur? I mean, things are getting a little bit too hairy here in the house.  
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:55 pm
Annabelle doesn't like it, so what I tend to do is give her some catnip before hand so she's euphoric and 'high'. Seems to work pretty well, she purrs like a little monster.

Otherwise, show them tough love. Take them into a designated room, hold them by the scruff and run the brush over them for a few strokes every day. They'll get used to it. Maybe they'll never like it, but eventually they'll learn that it's not a bad thing at all. Do you have them on a feeding schedule? If so, brush them right before you feed them so brushing=food.  

Azusanga

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:58 pm
I have a cat who doesn't like being brushed. I jokingly call him my ADHD cat - he hyper-focuses on things and can't handle stuff he's not familiar with or weird sensations. The first few times I tried to brush him, he flipped out a bit and darted away. What I've done lately is started using my hands sort of like a brush - sometimes instead of normal petting, I run my fingers down his back kind of like brush bristles. Sounds kind of funny, but it's helping him so far. I can brush him a little bit without him freaking out.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games