Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Lesbian Book found in school library? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Milady Tabbs

Beloved Sex Symbol

5,800 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:35 pm
Art Greylace
Chibi-Neko-chan-Konami121

I read Boy Meets Boy. So. Good. I had to hide it in my mattress, though, so my parents wouldn't find me reading it.

I loved it too. I found it so much fun! I'm an arty kid so I found the colors thing really funny.

And Twilight scares me a little. I mean, I can deal with het, depending the book I can love it, but Twilight... umm, there's something decidedly creepy about a male who claims to be a 108-year-old virgin despite being turned at age 18 which makes him an eternal beautiful teenager.

Also, I just remembered. Streched REALLY far, my school owns one book that is LGBT. Harry Potter. It has a gay character! And he's NICE. I don't think it counts though. Because she only mentioned that in interviews.

I can't remember what my high school has. I'm in college now, and I read it junior year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm
DeathStarXII
Kira-Ayame Yamasaki
DeathStarXII
Tch. You don't see me throwing out typical hetero dating books. (Unless it's Twilight. I burn Twilight).

And I find schools/people throwing books and art out offensive. As an artist/author myself, I know the hard work and time that goes into them. A lot of artists and authors do.

And I can understand that they dont want their children growing up gay, or else society wont have any straight children and then society won't continue. stare Idiots. If the kid's gonna be LGBT, then let them! I say embrace it and support them, not freak out and/or punish them.

Yes! please BURN twilight. Anyway your right about society! And most people don't know this: If one child is placed with a straight family, and one with a gay couple at childbirth, The one raised in the gay family will be better "rounded" than if with a staight couple. Parents let your kids be gay, they'll make good parents. biggrin

Lol. And it's funny how children raised by straight parents in a straight enviroment can still turn out to be LGBT, and people still think things like books will just suddenly turn their child gay? Ha. Just shows hoe intelligent humans can be. I really don't understand their logic.

ps-Twilight makes very good firewood. twisted

I know right! humans are are stupid, why do you think twilight was written? eek  

KittyKattRP

3,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250

The Green Apple 101

1,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:45 pm
TylerAnnihilate
My local library threw out a children's book called "billy loves dresses".

I think that's bullshit.
I think children should have access to books like that, especially y'know because alot of transgenders realize they're transgendered at an early age. But I mean they're kids, so they may not understand what's wrong with them.
And therein lies the problem, right? If kids don't understand it, they may resort to making fun of kids who are in the process of realizing this... This is where solid parenting needs to come into play, but how often does that happen for complex situations like this?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 pm
TylerAnnihilate
My local library threw out a children's book called "billy loves dresses".

I think that's bullshit.
I think children should have access to books like that, especially y'know because alot of transgenders realize they're transgendered at an early age. But I mean they're kids, so they may not understand what's wrong with them.
And therein lies the problem, right? If kids don't understand it, they may resort to making fun of kids who are in the process of realizing this... This is where solid parenting needs to come into play, but how often does that happen for complex situations like this?  

The Green Apple 101

1,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Full closet 200

Vicious Bollocks

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:36 pm
We can request books for our library to order. So far I've only gotten them to buy FOXFIRE. But still, a victory is a victory. My school has one book with queer characters and it makes me feel good.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:23 pm
I love Julie Anne Peters smile That book is fantastic. So is She Loves You, She Loves You Not, her new book.  

xXx_SidxVicious_xXx

Liberal Lunatic

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:39 pm
I found Annie on My Mind in my school. My friend found it and pointed out the section which had tons of other LGBTQ books. I would of read more but I had way too many classes to read.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:35 pm
Junior year or there abouts I found a book in my high school library. I wasn't in it much, never had much reason as I bought most of my books for reading, but either way when I decided to look about I found 'Annie on my Mind' by Nancy Garden. I read it in two days, all in that library. Then went out and bought it.

I had never been so surprised by what I could find in that library.  

Siobhan Nyx

Aged Survivor

13,000 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Invisibility 100

Misharu Foxrayne

Dapper Werewolf

5,000 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:42 am
That's super cool ;3 Sometimes you'd be surprised what you'll find in a library. My friends found a book about homosexuality in animals at their school ^^ And the GSA at my school helped raise money to buy a copy of the book from the It Gets Better project for our school library.

I think it's good that we get books like these in school libraries, so that kids looking can find them. And it doesn't have to be ostentatious or really out there, because if they really need to be found they will be, and it doesn't have disturb those who'd be 'offended' by it.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff