Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
You're an atheist, but are you spiritual? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you spiritual?
  Yes
  I don't know
  No
View Results

Undecillion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:05 pm
Dathu
I think you're going through "the process."

I used to be religious as well, and went through the typical process.

God + religion = true. Then add doubt in religion.

Religion = false. God = true, but varies.

God = true, but is indescribable.

God = only plausable.

Atheist.

No god, but fate, destiny, the force = true.

No fate.

Something like that. I see where you're coming from though. From our point of view things do seem oddly convenient, but that's why we have the word 'coincidence', to remind ourselves that no matter how planned things may seem, it's really all just random chaos. = my 2 cents.

Interesting, I believe that my process went something like this:

Belief in God, Santa, Ghosts and Magic + parents telling me that Santa, Ghosts and Magic aren't real = "How is God any different?"

hence my process was a rather brief transition to atheism. :p  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:07 pm
Jagdflieger
Well I'm an Atheist because I use evidence and the scientific method as a means of acquiring knowledge, so spirituality kind of goes out the window for me because there really isn't any decent evidence.

This is pretty much my opinion on the topic of spirituality. I'm open to convincing, but so far I've not seen or heard any compelling evidence.

1) : of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit : incorporeal <spiritual needs>
2) a : of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs> b : ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
3 : concerned with religious values
4 : related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
5) a : of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena b : of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : spiritualistic

Spirituality is by definition nonphysical, making spiritual belief as insupportable as belief in a god.

Steel-Avatar
Oh, and the people who bash you are probably anti-theists. I wouldn't let them get the best of you...They're no better than the evangelists.

Antitheism means opposition to the belief in a god and anti-religious. All that means is that one thinks that religion is a negative influence and that one is opposed to it. That doesn't necessitate that one be obnoxious or conversionary about their opinion. I am an antitheist myself, but I'm never vicious about it with my religious friends. I would only be aggressive about it in a debate, and even then I would remain tactful. I know you're only generalizing for convenience, but I thought I would put in my 2 cents on that subject anyway.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Koravin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:46 am
I don't think I would qualify for spiritual. I'm moving to the camp of not believing in souls. I think about this stuff every day, though. Right now I'm stuck on the nature of insanity. It seems to me that Christian belief, and obviously other religions, are delusions. They're not true, they're not real, so they're delusions. But a Christian is not seen as a crazy person. But other delusions are called out as crazy. From my perspective, it seems that the vast majority of humans are entirely mad. I'm not sure where that leaves me.

But meh. My process was about 2 years of paganism before finally giving up. It just took me some time to dismantle the fears that had been instilled in me since birth. Indoctrination is an insidious mental disorder that is very difficult to recover from.

I'm not saying any form spirituality is wrong. I think it could be beneficial to one's state of mind if done right. But no, I am not spiritual.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:30 pm
I'm an atheist because I didn't even know what any religion was till I was like 13. I kind of heard of xtianity when I was a kid, but only in a superficial way. So no one had chance to indoctrinate me.

I don't know what this "spiritual" means. When some people say it, they seem to mean "happiness and love". Some people mean believing in ghosts or something. I think, whatever you mean by it, it's either BS or an unnecessary uncommunicative label.  

Prince Rilian

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces