Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Traditions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Im A Little Pea
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:04 am
I'm curious on this one.
I've grown up in a secular home. I was pretty much raised not to believe the idea of a god or any form of deity. You could say I took my parents' words on this one (I'm not intending to offend anyone here who does believe in a deity; that's just how I see things).

However, my family has kept some of it's Jewish traditions - I'm sure many of you know this situation - you might not be all that religious, and you fellow Christians might not all go to church every Sunday, but you do celebrate Christmas and Easter. Holidays have become a form of getting families closer, and thus, a very fun, secular aspect is drawing people into keeping on celebrating them even when religion is almost not even involved anymore. Plus, most people would usually follow their parents' habits.

So now, Channukah is getting near. I've talked to my mom, who offered I should do something to celebrate it with my flat-mates, since I could not come over to her and my dad's home. I've given it some thought. And I think I wouldn't, because I feel no connection towards it. I would play along with my flat-mates if they decide to do something, as I would if they have decided we should all spend an evening together to watch a movie. But I'm not taking an active part.

I feel like the only thing holidays are good for in my case, not being a theist really, is just spending time with family; but I won't be doing this anyway. And more importantly, when I'm older and have a family of my own, I would want us to spend time together on a regular basis, not having to wait for some holiday for quality-time. So this tradition has become somewhat void to me.

So I think I'm not going to cast away those traditions. I don't think I'm going to celebrate any holidays at my future home. If I have a son, I wouldn't circumcise him. He wouldn't have a Bar-Mitzvah. Since I don't seem to find a good reason to keep those traditions, I suppose I won't.

Is there something in your culture you have, or you are planning to, just let go? Or do you see yourself starting a home just like the one you grew up in?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:50 am
Frankly, I love traditions because they make certain times special and different. Some traditions I know I must carry on- making Swiss Anise cookies for Christmas for example- but I'm sure I will adopt new ones as well, especially if I end up marrying a non-American. I might even celebrate holidays of other cultures as to teach any children about other people's cultures.

In a busy life today, I think it's important to set aside certain days as dedicated to family and celebration alone. I see so much in families how spending time together often falls behind other priorities, and I think it can be damaging to the kids. I know that when I was younger, I would always wish that my family could do something fun together more often. Set holidays can also give children something to look forward to that is not changeable as well.

However, I'm sure my view of holidays is affected by my religious views.  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

Einllikoach
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:21 am
I am also from a secular family that doesn’t really care about most Jewish laws and rituals, accept for holidays; sometimes I find it funny, if considering the fact that neither of us believes in God or anything like that, or when my brothers can combine ham-meat and Mozzarella in Friday’s dinner, yet they put a lot of importance towards it.

Actually, today is Chanuka’s eve; it turned out that today I am staying at my base, and I had quite lots of doubts whether I will mention that with the other soldiers I am about to stay with or not; but one of the other girls brought candles and Chanukiyá (a traditional lamp that we light by candles in each day of the holiday, as a part of the ritual), and since I brought Sufganyót (a traditional cake; it’s pretty much like Berliner) for my fellow brave soldiers, anyway.. apparently, we will celebrate it no matter what. ;D  
The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games