[PRP] A New Type of Sand

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:53 pm
The small yellow male paused at the edge of this desert. It was a desert, yes, but it was different. The smell was different, the sand looked different. And yet...it touched his heart. How he had missed the softness of those gold grains beneath his paws, the burning heat on his pads, the striking sun against his back.

He could not help it. He felt the tears rise unbidden to his eyes and, childlike in his manner, he danced out across the sand, kicking it up into the air, sending it clouding up around him. Laughing with joy he turned part way to see if the others followed.

The others being his friends. His family. He had only known them for a week or so but he knew already that he loved them dearly. They had lifted him from his despair and shown him that the world could be kind. The world could offer hope.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:02 pm
For the others, who had never seen the desert with their own eyes before, it was a bit of a shock coming to an expanse that wasn't green or brown, but simply blue and gold with sparse specks of white to mar the blue overhead, those thin clouds growing further and fewer between the closer they came to this new land. For Uddhava it was returning home, but for the rest it was coming into a whole new world.

Kimya'ukilia traveled at a slower pace with her son and daughter, as well as her other granddaughter, Amavasya. Her heart was ringing with joy to hear the timid male laughing so freely, a smile coming unhindered to both muzzle and eyes.

Amavasi, however, had taken up running right along after their golden-brother, despite the heat soaking into her dark coat, grinning like a childish lunatic.

"You're in a good mood!" She observed, slowing to a stop with a light pant, ignoring the heat, but body still aware of it.

Tahja Estes

Fashionable Loiterer

4,475 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:06 pm
Grinning as Amavasi came up towards him, he nodded, eyes shining. "I am." Did that mean he wasn't normally? He hoped that he had done well to cover up the sadness that he still harboured in his heart. Perhaps it still showed their in his eyes. Even still, he wouldn't dwell on it and he certainly didn't feel ready to tell them about his past. Not just yet.

"This is almost like home. The grass is beautiful but...but its not sand. I don't think I could ever replace the feel of it beneath my paws."

He sniffed a little and tilted his head. "Are you okay? Having a dark pelt can't help much...Maybe some shade might be a good idea."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 pm
"It shows. You just seem lighter out here than you did back there." She answered casually, happy though, to see the change. It wasn't that he'd been gloomy before, but just as her own mother had always been happiest when she was in her element, nothing else compared to that. Here Uddhava seemed even more at home than usual in their company, it was difficult to explain, and since he didn't ask, she wasn't going to try further than that. It was a good change.

Attention called to the temperature around them then Amavasi shook herself, as if to shake some of the heat loose. It really didn't do anything for her at all though, so she shrugged.

"I'll get used to it! So, you came from a place like this, huh?"

She had another look around, tail flicking with manifested curiosity, black eyes scanning the sands.

"There's supposed to be a pride out here, too? Don't know how it is we're going to manage to find the place! Is there some kind of trick to navigating the... sands?"

Amavasi turned trusting and almost expectant eyes on him then, hearing the rest of their group drawing close again. Maybe they'd be lucky, and someone would come find them, but-- might be better to let her grandmother rest, leave her in the care of the others. If Uddhava had experience with this heat, and as one of the oldest, she took it upon herself to volunteer to go with him, but for now she waited on his answer.

Tahja Estes

Fashionable Loiterer

4,475 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 pm
"I hope so. But if you do feel like you're overheating, let one of us know. It can be dangerous." Or so he had heard, though he hadn't seen or experienced it himself. Perhaps they shouldn't have come into the lands when it was so early in the afternoon. It was always hotter then.

He nodded thoughtfully. "The sand was a little different, but it's very much like, this, yes. I just hope it's not the same in its ethics, too..." His ears dipped a little shamefully. It would break his heart to be thrown out of the lands now. And yet he knew he still risked that it might happen. He knew nothing except what Kimya had told him about these lands and he had to put faith in that they weren't all desert-toughened warriors like the ones in his old home.

"A trick?" He blinked, feeling suddenly embarrassed. He hadn't been aware of any trick. "Someone told me you can...um...navigate by the stars but...night is ages away and...well, I don't know any other way than that. If we...if we scent water, that will be our best bet. A pride can't thrive without it. There must be an oasis close to where they live."

He paused as the others drew closer. "But...we could wander for days...and getting lost in a desert...well, it's not a good thing."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:31 pm
Hmm, well, the stars were out unless they waited, and she wasn't sure if her mother had been given any real directions either, not that kind. Of the options he listed, scenting for water definitely seemed best, but...

"Alright."

She thought, then looked at him.

"What if just the two of us went ahead? See if we can't find someone to help us navigate to this pride? They're bound to have border patrols, right? My other grandmother was constantly wandering around the borders. If we don't find someone before too long we can head back?"

She glanced back to their group catching up with them still.

"If you've got experience with the desert heat, and I'd feel more comfortable if it was me that went with you... that way grandma doesn't have to strain herself in case we can't find anyone, or an oasis."

Tahja Estes

Fashionable Loiterer

4,475 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kimaria

Fuzzy Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:35 pm
He nodded again, seeing sense in her observation. It wouldn't do to tire the others, especially not Kimya. Besides that, the two of them would move quicker and would have more of a chance of reaching this pride's borders. He assumed it would also bode better if it was just the two of them when they met with a patrol member. Less of them meant that they looked less of a threat and he in no way, shape or form wanted to start a fight. He didn't know how to fight and he worried that if it happened, he'd cower rather than protect his new found friends.

He drew in a deep breath. "That's a good idea. Probably our best option at the moment. We can go ahead and see if we can find one of these patrols and let them know of our plans. That way things can be organised for when Kimya and the others arrive." If they were allowed into the lands, that was...

He shook the thought away.

"It's a plan then, so long as Kimya agrees."

[IC] Abandoned Temple [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces