Reply Advice
Is This Silly of Me? Relationships and Religion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haydnator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:26 pm
Hey so, this may be a long post. Sorry in advance. I am kind of lost and confused, so I don't really know what to do, or even where i should post this. If you know a better place, please feel free to more it.

I will start off with a hi though! I am new here, just joined today. My name is Haydn, I am 24 years old, still attending College. I am not Christian though...at least, not yet. Technically I am Jewish since my mom is Jewish. She proclaims that she is an atheist though and hates anything to do with religion, especially Christianity. My brother is pretty much the same, only not to the extreme that my mom is. Lastly, my dad is Catholic, but ever since coming to this Country, he hasn't gone to church much or anything. So i haven;t grow up with any religious influence really. I always said i was impartial to whether God existed or not, maybe Agnostic even, but never an Atheist.

Even though I wasn't sure as to whether there was a God or not, I will admit that I used to like to talk to him, or liked to think i was talking to him and not just being crazy XD. Anyways, being the greedy child I was, I would mainly just wish for things. The thing I would wished for the most was a boy. I was always a hopeless romantic, but I was always pegged the nerd in school, so no one really ever liked me like that. That made me lonely. So i always asked God for a boy to save me from this loneliness.

is this starting to sound familiar? It may because 2 weeks ago I had posted it on the morality and religion forum. I retracted it a few days later because people were tearing me apart, so i deleted it because they had made me feel ashamed of myself. People can be so harsh at times.

Anyways on with my story. So about 2 years ago I met this boy, and we eventually became boyfriend and girlfriend. His family and him are Christians. At first my mom wasn't so pleased with the idea, so I told her he was questioning what he believed in (which was kinda true anyways). She felt better about it after having me tell her that. Anyways its been about a year and a half, and we are still together. My family loves him. He's family.....i don't think loves me as much. I think mainly because i am neither a Christian or Republican, but i think I am growing on them.

The other day we were talking about the future, and he was telling me that he would like to raise his kids Christian, and that if we were to get married he would want me to learn everything there is to learn about the faith and teach it to our kids. I never really thought to much about religion until then, I guess mostly because my mom would kill me or kick me out of the house if i became religious (well maybe not Judaism, but anything else.) Anyways that has got me thinking about what i believe in. The part of me that believes there may be a God wonders if God really did listen to me, and sent me a guy who is trying to save me. I feel so silly when i think that though, and apparently, so did half of gaia.

I don't really know what to do yet. We got a few years, so it's not like i am pressured. If we do end up getting married though. My mom would never want to see me or the kids that's how much she would be against it. So it makes it hard , because this would cause a rift. He isn't going to force me though, he says if I want, I can still stay Jewish, and our kids can still be Jewish. He just wants to raise the Christian because that is all he knows, and he loves the community and support. He wants the kids to be able to have that.

Anyways, I want to be open minded, so he bought me a Bible (one study to keep at his place, one normal to read at home( have to hide it from my mom)). He just got it a few days ago, so i will get it next time I get over there. Any recommendations as to what I should start reading. I am pretty new to everything, so I don't know where to start.

sorry for the long, rantish post. I am just confused. I got to do a lot of soul searching, and i didn't know where else to go. anyways, i look forward to meeting all of you. Thanks for hearing me out.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 am
It's possible to be ethnically Jew and not believe in the religion. If you're a Jew by birth then you should at least take pride in who you are and study more on that versus Christianity, which to most Jews is considered idolatry which is a massive sin against Hashem, again, according to most Jews.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:20 am
If she is that much against religion, than your mother is an idiot on the level of the Christians who hate atheists.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:37 pm
Most Christians recommend those who are searching to start by reading the New Testament. This is why so many bibles out there are only New Testament. This is the text that is more manageable, understandable, and relevant to newcomers and faithful saints alike. This, of course, does not mean to completely disregard the Old Testament all together. There are many instances where people in the New Testament refer to something from the Old. Still, though, since you are seeking and relatively new to Christianity, it is generally recommended you start reading the New Testament. Many Christians will probably tell you to start by reading John, then the other gospels (the gospels account for Christ), but Romans is good too. I hope this helps.  

Orizion

lordstar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:29 am
So to start

I am 23 and a student at UCD (ECI major)
I am also Jewish by blood raised in a "Catholic" family

Nerd-Five ftw

Anyway

I'm not sure you give your mother enough credit. I have a feeling she would want to be close to you and share the joys that come with a new family.

I don't really think it matters what choice you make as long as it is your choice and I'm sure you will give that same choice to your children.

I could go on about parental roles and parenting theory but perhaps another day.  
Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games