Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Advice
What do you do when your brother is being illegal?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll?
  A Mushy Melon.
  A Response.
  A Hippo.
View Results

emeebee

Fashionable Nerd

6,350 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:36 pm

My brother has recently decided to smoke pot. It's illegal and if I don't say anything, am I doing something illegal too?
My parents know and aren't doing anything for a reason that sounds logical to me.
But... I'm still not sure.
Help?
-Aza

Just Listen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:13 pm
Azarahael Morganti

My brother has recently decided to smoke pot. It's illegal and if I don't say anything, am I doing something illegal too?
My parents know and aren't doing anything for a reason that sounds logical to me.
But... I'm still not sure.
Help?
-Aza

Just Listen.

no all rules are based in logic

as long as he isnt being silly about it or hurting anyone perhaps it is best to leave him be  

lordstar

divineseraph

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:18 pm
My suggestion- Learn to think critically.

Here's what I mean by that, because I know you will need to be guided like a blind horse through a house of mirrors.

Ask questions, and answer them. Yourself. With suitable answers.

Your logic against marijuana, right now, is something along these lines, and I can tell by your attitude here- "Marijuana is bad because it is illegal." Well, why then, is it illegal? The answer will probably be "Because it's bad." Which is circular logic that repeats forever without answering the question fully. Marijuana is considered bad because of years of smear campaigns a long time ago. It is no worse for you, mentally, than alcohol, and is at least predictable in effect.

Have you ever heard of a happy drunk or an angry drunk? There's no such thing as an "Angry Stoner" who smokes a bowl before punching his girlfriend in the face. I wouldn't suggest driving stoned, but it's actually less likely to be harmful in terms of psychological effects.

If the concern is health risks, cigarettes are far worse due to the synthetic chemicals added to addict smokers.

If the concern is driving while impaired, that should be illegal no matter what substance you're on and isn't relevant to the drug itself.

Neither of these two are illegal- Why, logically and reasonably, would you illegalize something like the two combined, but safer? There were political motivations including hemp as an energy source, but that's not really relevant to the point.

However, we see here that the circular logic fails once we look into the "Marijuana is bad" beyond the fact that it is illegal for the sake of being illegal, and that, therefore, marijuana should probably not be illegal- That, or alcohol and cigarettes should be.  
Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games