Reply *~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild
7 Churches

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 am
My friends and I were having the Bible Study about the 7 Churches that are described in Colossians 4 and Revelations 1 - 3. I will only give a brief view on it.

Colossians 4:13 - 18 says "For I bear him record, that he hath a great zeal for you, and them that are in Laodicea, and them in Hierapolis. Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you. Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea. And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it. The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen."

Now this letter was to a Church, not sure which. But there are 7 Churches that described in Revelations that resembles the 7 Church Ages. When Paul was writing this, he was in the Ephesus Age.

Did you know that these Churches have meanings to their names? What does the word "Church" means anyways? It is translated into called out ones. We are to be called out of this world and to live for God and to serve Him in all of our ways.

I am not going to list all of the Church, but only 3 I will go into a little detail. Ephesus means "The ones that left their first love." This was the 1st stage of the Church. This is when Paul is writing this letter. He wrote to Ephesus. There were actually all 7 Churches there at that time, but each Church will have its own age as well.

So Ephesus is the 1st age. I will skip a few and go into the 6th age. This is called the Philidelphia Church era. When did this occur? I believe it occured in the late 1800's and early 1900's. This was the most beautiful age. This is where most of the missionaries that have a heart for the Lord and go to all 4 corners of the World to spread the Gospel.

Now, we come to the last age. I believe that we are in the Laodicean age. The word for Laodicea means "People Rule." Let's read Revelations to see about this Church era.

Revelations 3:14 - 19 says "And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent."

I am hoping that I am not sounding too judgemental, but this is strictly from the Word of God. I believe that is what we see in the World around us. A lot are not on fire for God, and a lot are not cold or in need of repentance, but a lot are lukewarmness.

And do you know which Church Age is coming next? There is none left. It says after this age, it is the Rapture, which is the beginning of Chapter 4. So we could be gone by tomorrow if the Lord Wills. The time is short and the time to witness to people will soon be over.

Speaking of which, I also have a little thought as well. Basically 150,000 people die everyday. And most are not making it to Heaven. It says "Many are called, but few are chosen. For the straight and narrow is the way. The wide and curvy path will lead to distruction."

When I think about it, I humbled myself. I said, "Lord, there are so many people dying everyday. Their souls are going into an eternity with the Lord Jesus Christ in their lives. What can I do?" Then the Lord did reply, "Witness to the ones that I come into contact with and shed my light through your Life. If you live for me, then your heart's desire is to win souls for me."

Anyways, that was some thoughts that I wanted to share with everyone.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:50 pm
I find issue with a number of these statements.
Quote:

Colossians 4:13 - 18 says "For I bear him record, that he hath a great zeal for you, and them that are in Laodicea, and them in Hierapolis. Luke, the beloved physician, and Demas, greet you. Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house. And when this epistle is read among you, cause that it be read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and that ye likewise read the epistle from Laodicea. And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it. The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen."

Now this letter was to a Church, not sure which.

The letter is addressed to the church in Colossae (the KJV uses "Colosse"), as you can read in Colossians 1:2:
Quote:
To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Since you seem to be using the King James Version, I'll do the same, despite my ready use of... well, another translation. At any rate, the city of Colossae was a few miles southeast of Laodicea, so it would be reasonable, if the churches were trading letters with one another, that Laodicea and Colossae would trade letters with one another. Actually, one of the major pieces of evidence for letter-swapping between churches comes from that Colossians 4 passage that you use.

I frame this as an "idea" because... well, it is.

Quote:
But there are 7 Churches that described in Revelations that resembles the 7 Church Ages.

Two issues with this:
1. You seem to imply that only the seven churches mentioned in the book of Revelation: Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamos, Thyatyra, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea, are the only churches that "matter" in your interpretation of the "ages." Really, if we're to be fair, we should consider the churches at Corinth, Jerusalem, Phillipi, or in the region of Galatia--and the states of their spirits (it would appear that the Galatians are in some deep trouble). However, due to the mainstream trendiness of apocalypticism (see: Left Behind, etc.), seven seems to be an appropriate, apocalyptic number.

2. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention such "Church Ages."

Quote:
When Paul was writing this, he was in the Ephesus Age.

Again, at no time does Paul actually write that he is "in the Ephesus Age."

Quote:
Did you know that these Churches have meanings to their names? What does the word "Church" means anyways?

While your definition of "church"--that is, "ekklesia"--is good, John's seven churches... are just John's seven churches.

Quote:
Ephesus means "The ones that left their first love."

No, it doesn't.

Quote:
This is when Paul is writing this letter. He wrote to Ephesus. There were actually all 7 Churches there at that time, but each Church will have its own age as well.

1. Paul did not write the book of Revelation.
2. Paul wrote Colossians to Colossae.
3. Colossae, as well as the seven churches mentioned in the book of Revelation, are in the same region.

Quote:
And do you know which Church Age is coming next? There is none left. It says after this age, it is the Rapture, which is the beginning of Chapter 4. So we could be gone by tomorrow if the Lord Wills. The time is short and the time to witness to people will soon be over.

Revelation 4... doesn't feature the rapture. Rather, it's the throne room. And that is awesome.

------------

At any rate--your concluding thoughts are spot-on. We do, indeed, have an unknown amount of time left. Hundreds of thousands of people die every day. We should be urgent in our evangelism.

The thing is, we should seek to interpret the scriptures in a proper manner.  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:02 am
I apologize for some of the not being so clear the first time. Not only did I not take notes from the Bible Study that well, but I was writing late at night. So allow me to go into a little depth of what I mean about the 7 Churches.

I was reading in Revelations, John was revealing the 7 Churches. What is very interesting to me is that each Church as its own angel. Now why is that? I will talk about the 7 Church ages a little more and maybe we can answer this question.

The first age of the Church is the Ephesus Age. And yes, Ephesus age does mean "Left their 1st love." I did a lot of research on that. The time frame of this age is 35 - 70 AD. Now it is very interesting. Why does it say that they left their first love? You know, there is a difference between leaving something and losing something. It is not like you lose your way and you will find yourself over here or over there, but it is the matter of leaving something.

Peter and Paul covered this era, with Paul singularly at the forefront once he began his ministry. The time frame of this period is subject to interpretation because nothing in the text gives a clear definition of the time covered. However, from Pentecost until the fall of Jerusalem does seem a special period of time--the most robust and dynamic for preaching the Gospel and establishing Christian churches in the region.

We can understand how some may mark the fall of Masada in CE 73 or how others may view this time frame to extend to John’s closing days. However, CE 70 seems to be the time when the leadership of the church at Jerusalem was broken.

Many of the apostles had been martyred or in flight. Clearly, great changes were precipitated here, and the status quo ended. The fall of Masada ended all hope that somehow the past conditions of the Jewish nation could be regrouped or recreated.

"I know thy works, and thy labor, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars;

"And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name’s sake hast labored, and hast not fainted." Revelation 2:2, 3

Jesus takes extravagant notice of the works of each of the churches, and, for the most part, was much pleased with this early church of Ephesus. The fall of the beloved city ended the Jewish Christian dominance. With both Peter and Paul martyred, and with Jerusalem in ashes, the Gentile Christians and even the Jewish Christians were left clinging to John as the last outpost.

In Ephesus we find false apostles making an appearance and Nicolaitanes grasping for ascendancy. The Nicolaitanes were allegedly followers of Nicolas, who may have been the proselyte of Antioch, who was chosen to be one of the seven deacons to wait on tables (Acts 6:5).

He may have fulfilled the meaning of his name, which is, "conqueror of the people." He started out as a servant of the church, but may have become an ambitious leader with his own agenda. This always becomes a problem when any of the Lord’s people create their own agenda.

Next, we go to the next age: The Age of Smyrna. The time frame for Smyrna is 70 - 313 AD. This name means "Synagogue of Satan."

The church at Jerusalem had been the hub of the whole Christian world. Its fall would send shock waves to all the churches and would also give rise for ambitious leaders to step forward into roles of leadership for which they were ill-suited. The Lord knew this would happen.

"And unto the angel [John] of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and last, which was dead, and is alive.

"I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews and are not, but are of the synagogue of Satan.

"Fear none of those things which thou shall suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have great tribulation for ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life." Revelation 2:8-10

However, it was not the pagan persecution alone that made life bitter. Within the church, false leaders arose grasping power and prominence. Even the leaders of pagan Rome became enamored with them. Gibbon says of the later days of the church at Smyrna--

"The corruption of manners and principles, so forcibly lamented by Eusebius, may be considered as not only a consequence, but a proof of the liberty which the Christians enjoyed and abused under the reign of Diocletian. Prosperity had relaxed the nerves of discipline. Fraud, envy and malice prevailed in every congregation. The proselytes aspired to the Episcopal office, which every day became an object more worthy of their ambition. The bishops, who contended with each other for ecclesiastical pre-eminence, appeared by their conduct to claim a secular and tyrannical power in the Church" (THE TIME IS AT HAND, p. 292.00GoldSquare.jpg (705 bytes) Reprinted 1983, Divine Plan, P.O. Box 144, Edison, NJ 0881 cool .

We see the fulfillment of the words: "I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan." Revelation 2:9 Yes, they claimed to be Jews or spiritual Israel, but they were not. The church had become infested with men who were seeking to use Christianity for their own purposes.

There was power and status to be found in the church, and those who had the same ambition as Satan found opportunities to fulfill that ambition. Alas, the true Christian found persecution from the pagan forces without, and corruption eating like a canker within.

However, the Lord observed: "I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich)." Revelation 2:9 Yes, a faithful nucleus was "rich" in faith and in the eyes of God. To these the encouragement is given:

To the overcomers rich promises were given for which they must wait until the "first resurrection." Those seeking personal gratification and power often found it, but that would be their only reward. None awaited them in the resurrection, for they were nothing more than "tares" at best and "wolves" in the worst scenario.

Next is the Pergamos age. The time frame is 313-1157. It means Antipas.

Pergamos, according to Dr. Young, was "A celebrated city of Mysia, near the river Caicus. Here parchment was first perfected, and a library of 200,000 volumes formed, which was eventually sent to Alexandria.

Pergamos also had a famous temple of Esculapius, who was represented under the figure of a serpent. Clearly it was elevated intellectually over other places, but as the Revelator observes:

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days where Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth." Revelation 2:13

Arius is commonly believed to be the messenger of this era.

Until this period of time there was enough respect for the apostles, and especially for John, to keep some semblance of Christianity in the leadership.

However, when Constantine took over the church and made Christianity the religion of the empire, persecuted Christianity was lifted from the scaffold to the throne.

Only two bishops voted with Arius against the Athanasian heresy. Not that the bishops who voted for it truly believed in Athanasius arguments, but they trivialized the meaning of their vote to curry the emperor's good graces. This set the stage for the demise of the doctrine of Christ.

For his faithful stand against the Nicene Creed, Arius and two other bishops were banished.

"Undaunted, Arius composed a rival creed to that of Nicea which so impressed Constantine that he was recalled. But on the very day of his installation ceremony in Constantinople, Arius died suddenly under suspicious circumstances, leading his friends to suspect he had been poisoned."

The stakes were high. Once bishops tasted the sweetness of power they were not going to let anything threaten the gains they had secured with Constantine. It is strange how so-called Christians have shamelessly done so many vicious and evil things in flagrant violation of the Christian law of "love."

Arius defended the truth on the nature of God and Christ. He also stood against the ascending aspiration of the bishops to become enthroned, refusing, as he did, the Episcopal throne of Alexandria. His learned and blameless Christian lifestyle made Arius an example to the flock, and even his enemies could not fault him in this area.

Fittingly, the temple of Esculapius, employing the figure of a serpent, indicated this was Satan’s dwelling place and that he was capable of using his false apostles to martyr Arius.

Generally, Satan is the prince of darkness but when he wishes to cast himself into an angel of light he can prepare conditions to grind out 200,000 volumes of learning as at Pergamos. All kinds of information were generated here to make the Gospel less distinctive.

"And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges." Revelation 2:12

Here was a powerful reminder to Arius and all the faithful to stand squarely with the One with the "sharp sword with two edges"--the Old and New Testaments. It is significant that the Nicene debates centered on the Word of God concerning the nature of Christ.

It should have been have been an easy victory for the truth because Constantine was not the least qualified to determine the Scriptural weight of arguments presented. The Athanasian double-speak seemed the best route for Constantine to side with because it provided a foggy philosophical explanation that even pagans might find trouble understanding and even more trouble in refuting.

There sometimes are advantages to a lack of clarity. The legal profession makes much use of foggy contracts that the average person simply surrenders and signs on the dotted line, hoping for the best, later learning some bitter lessons.

"I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth."

"But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

"So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes, which thing I hate.

"Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth." Revelation 2:13-16

Despite the efforts of the faithful to resist the rising aspirations of those who wanted central power invested in an earthly head, the pope, the tide was coming in and their efforts could not prevent the antichrist influence.

Additionally, there were two other forces at work.

First, the doctrine of Balaam was a calculated endeavor to seduce God’s people into false worship, so God would punish them.

Second, the doctrine of the Nicolaitaines, the tendency to wrest the power from the congregations and centralize it with the bishops.

The clergy and laity here emerged and the churches no longer were autonomous. They now were controlled by bishops, by councils and synods, and by the devil himself. Yes, the devil crowned the winner pope.

It is during this period that the antichrist arose and established itself in power. First, it crushed the truth and turned Christianity into a central religious ruling authority. Following this, the false church, under Pope Leo III, crowned Charlemagne the "Roman Emperor" in CE 800. There began the long and terrible reign of the Holy (?) Roman Empire. The noonday of the papal reign was the midnight of the world.

The message to this church was to "repent." How difficult that would prove when the church was having unparalleled success in centralizing power within and being accepted by the world as the queen of the civil powers. Before the antichrist, lay an open road to power and riches and glory.

None of this was conducive to repenting of their sins. All the corrective mechanisms God had placed within the church had long since been destroyed. No deception is stronger than self-deception. Here the church viewed its great rise to power and glory as evidence that Heaven was smiling upon them. The delusion was complete.

Next, we go into the Thyatira age. This age occurred between 1157-1367.

The general consensus is that Peter Waldo was the messenger of this period.

Waldo produced the first translation of the four Gospels into modern French. The next two messengers would translate the Bible into a common language to spearhead further reforms.

Waldo was a rich merchant of Lyons, France, who decided to advance true Christianity with Biblical knowledge. He shunned the luxurious lifestyle of the church and advocated simplicity of life and adherence to Biblical teachings.

In CE 1156, Waldo wrote The Last Age of the Christian Church. He and others were alerted to the brevity of life by the sudden death of a friend in 1157. In CE 1160 Waldo met with citizens at Lyons to begin his ministry. In CE 1170 he had sold all his goods and had given the proceeds to the poor.He and others were alerted to the brevity of life by the sudden death of a friend in 1157. In CE 1160 Waldo met with citizens at Lyons to begin his ministry. In CE 1170 he had sold all his goods and had given the proceeds to the poor.

Waldo formed a lay ministry of evangelists composed of propertyless and celibate men. They were known as "The Poor men of Lyons."

They seemed to be a breath of fresh air to the world at that time. The Waldensians and Albigenses gathered followers who were subsequently driven into Italy and the Alps while their faith spread throughout Europe.

"And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass." Revelation 2:18

The church had splendid leaders dressed in ermine and gold, but the Son of God had searching eyes of "fire" that penetrated into the hearts of those who claimed to worship him. He could see their sins. Christ’s feet were of "fine brass," showing that those who walked with him were justified and pure.

"I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first." Revelation 2:20

The work which Waldo and his followers had begun, grew into significant dimensions. The Waldenses and Albigenses had a tenacity that prospered in spite of the terrible persecution of papacy. God does not overlook the faithfulness of His people.

At the same time there were many in the papal system that must have had a conscience that was being suppressed as they saw the pain and persecution that old system never tired of perpetrating. It is not human to be so cruel. God speaks to those with some conscience in these words:

"Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel [the unfaithful church], which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce my servants to commit fornication [with the civil powers], and to eat things sacrificed unto idols [man-worship]." Revelation 2:20

There was a lot of collective guilt within the church of that time. They "suffered" these things because it was the easiest thing to do, to remain quiet while the wicked system did wickedly. This is succumbing to the "roaring lion [Satan]" and not resisting him steadfastly in the faith.

"And I gave her space [360 years, from 1160 to 1520, Luther’s trial occurred June 1520, where 41 of his propositions were condemned as heretical and he was pronounced a heretic. This ended all hope that the papal church under Pope Leo X would repent.], to repent of her fornication; and she repented not.

"Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds.

"And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works." Revelation 2:21-23

Somehow retributive justice never seemed to catch up with the papal reign of terror. Here is the promise that it would. Actually, with Luther’s reformation the papacy saw itself exposed. That reformation ended with the French Revolution. The papal head was wounded and almost slated for death. The uninhibited power of the papacy to persecute seemed to have been broken here. Who could have believed that priests of the Catholic Church would be led away to the guillotine and the pope taken to prison where he died?

"But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden.

"But that which ye have already hold fast till I come." Revelation 2:24, 25

To those who would not bow the knee to the wicked church and who had not known the "depths of Satan," the Lord did not lay any extra burden. Apparently the faithful of this period had the Lord’s care and sympathy. He just wanted them to "hold fast till I come."

Yes, during his second presence, the true church would be triumphant and the antichrist church would be destroyed.

Next is the Sardis age. The time frame is 1367-1517.

Sardis was a city of Asia Minor, formerly the capital of that wealthy monarch Croesus, king of Lydians.

It is difficult to ascertain the meaning of the name Sardis, but Benjamin Wilson in his appendix of the Diaglott provides a different explanation than the traditional "that which remains." He says it means "prince of joy." While this was not a joyous period for the true people of God, it was a time when Christ’s sacrifice, who indeed was the "Prince of joy," began to be seen as a "once for all" sacrifice.

"And unto the angel [Wycliff] of the church in Sardis write: These things saith he that hath the seven spirits of God [Jesus has the "seven Spirits of God" here even though he does not receive them until Revelation 5:6], and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

"Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

"Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

"Thou hast a few names even in Sardis, which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy." Revelation 3:1-4

The "Sardis" messenger was John Wycliff of this period.

Significant changes began taking place when Wycliff commenced his ministry. The year of the Schism was 1378, when two popes claimed to be head of the church--one in Rome and one in Avignon. The Schism provided an opportunity to see what the papal church was all about.

Up until 1378, Wycliff had been occupied in a mixed way with religious and political matters. However, 1378 marked the turning point for him, when he focused only on doctrinal matters.

Wycliff published the New Testament in English in 1378 and finished the Old Testament before he died.
He also wrote some 200 articles mainly defending the ransom. Wycliff spoke out against the doctrine of Transubstantiation, the main teaching of the Catholic Church.

Wycliff's success may have been due in part to the problems the papacy was having with two popes striving for ascendancy.

They had enough of their own problems within, without trying to quench the brush fires started by Wycliff.

Three papal bulls were issued before the Great Schism to deal with Wycliff’s alleged heresy. The very year Pope Gregory XI died, both Urban VI and Clement VII (Robert of Geneva) claimed to be Christ’s vicar.

At Wycliff’s trial, two powerful princes accompanied him, to prevent his execution. The Lord prevented the powers of darkness from destroying the needful work of this Reformer.

Wycliff had attacked the doctrine of Transubstantiation that took away the efficacy of Christ’s one sacrifice for sin. However, this period was not a happy time for conversion to take place. While the Bible emerged in English, few Bibles were available and still fewer people could read.

It was at this time that Revelation 8:13 began, and the first of three "woes" began to be heard by the inhabitants of the earth. Conditions were such that people who really wished to step out of the shackles of false religion, were made uncomfortable by the flashes of light emanating at that time, but not able to fulfill their desire to have a true conversion. This period, while it brought some light, did not provide the conditions necessary for Christian conversion and growth on a larger scale. Even the Lutheran reform of 1517 did not provide a strong climate for reform until 1528. No one knew how the Reformation would eventuate.

The year 1528 was not only a critical year for Protestantism in England, but also in Germany. Charles V, Roman emperor of Germany, had risen to power, and this emboldened Pope Clement VII (Giulio De’ Medici) to induce Charles V to limit the spread of Protestantism.

Under the proposed law, no Protestant was to convert a Romanist to the reformed faith, nor would it be allowable for Protestantism to spread to other countries. It meant for all Protestants, an end such as the Huguenots came to in France, the suppression of the Renaissance with its "increase of knowledge," and the end of the prosperous and comparatively enlightened civilization of modern times.

The future of the whole world, and of the Divine Plan, was at stake! A general war was barely avoided to destroy Lutheranism. Philip Landgrave of Saxony discovered the plot, took arms, and in 1528 forced indemnity from a Catholic bishop. Other princes of Germany stood with Philip (MARTIN LUTHER, Vol. II, p. 486).

Quoting from MARTIN LUTHER, by Dr. Peter Bayne, LL. D., Vol. II, p. 486: "These (the princes of the reformed faith) were inflexibly determined that the decree of the majority should not be assented to. Philip of Hesse, John of Saxony, Markgraf George the Pious of Brandenburg/Anspach, the Dukes of Lunenburg and Brunswick, the Prince of Anhalt, and the representatives of Strasburg, Nurnberg and twelve other free cities, entered a solemn protest against the prospective revolution. They were called Protestants! All to this hour, who claim that Truth shall be unveiled, and that no Pope, or Kaiser, shall congeal the ever-advancing stream of progress and improvement, may take an honorable pride in tracing their spiritual descent to the intrepid Philip and the magnanimous and simple-hearted John."

"The Diet of Spires, on the 27th of August, 1526, they [the papists] succeeded in practically obtaining their object. The Edict of Worms, which had so long hung as a fiery portent and menace of coming wrath in the political firmament of Germany, was not swept finally from the heavens, but it was veiled in softening clouds of compromise and reservation" (MARTIN LUTHER, Vol. II, p. 455).

The more liberal papists were willing to let those areas where the Reformation had taken hold remain, and only wanted to stop the Reformation from spreading to new areas. This was unacceptable to Protestants. However, it gave Protestants a legal position in Germany. Then, in 1529 another Diet of Spires was held. The reactionary papist leaders would have forced the Diet of 1526 back to the old Edict of Worms with this provision:

"Where the Worms Edict had been enforced, it was, they urged, to be maintained; but all further propagation of the reformed doctrines, all religious innovation whatever, was to be forbidden, pending the assemblage of a General Council. That is to say, the friends of reformation were to accept defeat where their adversaries declared themselves in the ascendant, and at the same time to abjure all thought of progress" (MARTIN LUTHER, by Dr. Peter Bayne, LL.D., Vol. II, p. 484).

This papal plot formed the basis for Protestants to form the League of Schmalkald, Feb. 27, 1531 and again in 1537 when the reforms drew up articles of common belief (ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA, 1945 edition, Vol. 20, p. 80). This League formed a Protestant wall of defense against the alliance of Charles V and Pope Clement VII to contain the Reformation.

Also, in 1528 Henry VIII of England wished an annulment from his wife Queen Catherine of Aragon, aunt of Charles V. When the papal representatives Cardinals Compeggio and Wolsey did not grant Henry VIII his desires, he began moving England away from Rome.

Bad news for Pope Clement was coming from two fronts:
(1) the Protestant wall of defense in Europe, and
(2) England's turning fortune away from Rome.

In this critical time we see the window of opportunity opened to spread the reformation far and wide. It could not be contained or restrained any longer.

The period between 1378 and 1528 is the "five months (150 years)" of Revelation 9:5 in which "death" or conversion eluded the honest-hearted. They endured the "scorpion" sting which did not kill or convert them, but only succeeded in tormenting their hearts and minds with the realization that the door of opportunity for reform had not opened sufficiently for many of them to enter.

The help that came to the Reformers was due to the troubled conditions of the Papacy. First, Pope Clement VII found himself engaged in warfare with the army of Charles V. He was taken prisoner and was finally released in 1527. He came out from prison wiser, but not less hostile to Protestants.

Fortune smiled upon Pope Clement VII when "Charles [V] linked himself in bonds of family relationship with Clement, by bestowing upon Clement’s nephew, Alexander de Medici, the hand of his natural daughter. Such was the Treaty of Barcelona, signed June, 1529, by which the Vicegerent of Christ cut in before his allies and secured golden terms for himself" (MARTIN LUTHER, Vol. II, p. 483).

This reconciled Pope Clement VII and Charles V and also provided a basis for reconciliation between Charles V and Francis I of France. The losses sustained by the pope in losing England and the Reformation factions were rewarded by a better hold on Europe. This gives us a preview of what was going to happen in the Philadelphia church.

Next age was the most beautiful Church age: The Philadelphia age. This age occurred in 1517-1874.

"And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

"I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

"Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

"Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

"Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown." Revelation 3:7-11

Martin Luther, 1483-1546, was in all probability the messenger of the Church of Philadelphia.

The Lord promised that the door of Reformation could not be "closed."

No matter what the papal powers tried they still could not stop the reforms. The "door" was stuck open.

We need not conclude that only brotherly love characterized this era. It is filled with violence and struggle.

However, this period is without blame from God and indicates the faithful of this period were responding in ways pleasing to the Lord.

The reformation, though assailed from many quarters, could not be contained.

The One with the "key" of David (the Beloved), opened the door. It could not be shut.

For the papacy he shut some doors they could not "open."

A study of this period shows how wonderfully the Lord overruled affairs so that light could not be extinguished. There was favorable response to the light shining in the reforms that occurred. One must contrast this period with the reign of terror of previous periods, wherein papacy crushed and destroyed so many hapless victims.

It must be remembered that the Reformation was religious in many ways.

But it was also a civil revolt against the excesses of the papacy and emperors who ruthlessly conspired against any reform.

The powers of darkness did indeed try to "shut" the door of the Reformation, but could not. The reform movement had only a "little strength" and a desire to keep God’s "Word." It was only the power of God that kept it from floundering.

Jesus reminded the religious leaders that they would see "the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven" (Matthew 26:64). Here the faithful are promised that their persecutors would "come and worship humbly before thee, and to know that I have loved thee" (Revelation 3:9). What a wonderful promise!

The church of "Philadelphia" was promised a blessing. They were to be "kept from the hour of temptation."

What was this "hour of temptation"? It was to be a time when many voices would be calling. A time when truth would be available, but when a thousand voices would be calling in all directions.

Knowledge, true and false, would explode everywhere. Only those who knew the voice of the "true Shepherd" would not be fooled into following the myriad of false shepherds. The early days of the Reformation provided the privilege for people in general to follow the Reformers. People were simply marching behind leaders, without a great deal of knowledge or understanding.

However, when the Bible Societies began publishing Bibles in 1804 and onward, the world was filled with Bibles. Compulsory education enabled people to finally enter the "open door" of true Bible knowledge.

The last days of "Philadelphia" were a marvelous period. The response to the Bible was beautiful. Christians began to blossom like watered flowers. Those labeled laity became awake to the message of the "priesthood of all believers." However, this period would witness a massive distribution of error to dilute the reformation truths.

We believe that the seals, the trumpets and the churches are contemporaneous. Consequently, we read of the sixth trumpet in Revelation 9:15:

"And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour [the hour of the harvest under Bro. Russell’s ministry], and a day [day is not in the Sinaitic, but should it be. It might refer to Mr. Barbour from 1876-1877 in his "Herald of the Morning" and "The Three Worlds"], and a month [probably William Miller, from 1844 to 1874], and a year [Martin Luther, from 1517-18 to 1878], to slay the third part of men [separate the faithful right-hearted from the anti-Christ spirit]."

The year represents 360 years, the month 30 years, a total of 390. We believe this period covers from CE 1528 to 1918. Ezekiel 4:1-6 shows a similar siege against Israel (nominal spiritual Israel, particularly papacy) for the same 390 year period, but also shows that 40 years of siege were to be laid to Judah (Protestantism) which probably occurred from 1878 to 1918.

"And the angel [our Lord] which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven,

"And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time [chronos, 360 years] no longer." Revelation 10:5,6

The 360 years of the Philadelphian church from 1517-18 ended in 1878. The time for the consummation of the age and the "harvest," which is to be the end of the age then came. In Revelation 10:7 we read: "But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished." Hence, it is in the following Laodicean period that the climax of the Gospel age is reached.

The last age was the age of the Laodicea. The time frame is 1874 - Present. The name means "People rule" or "Lukewarm".

The messenger of Laodicea was Pastor Charles Taze Russell.

He not only returned many of the truths lost through the centuries, but started a systematic and topical study of the Bible that brought the entire weight of the Scriptures to bear on most Biblical subjects.

The reader watched the truths emerge verse by verse as the testimony of God’s Word was collected, while harmonizing the Bible as never before.

Never were doctrinal truths made plainer to the general student of God’s Word.

Not only was Bro. Russell a critical student of God’s Word, but he began a ministry which lasted some 40 years.

He incorporated a full company of believers on all levels to help accomplish the work of harvest.

His management skills enabled him to get every believer’s shoulder to the wheel.

The work accomplished far exceeded the potential for such a small company of saints.

While the harvest of the "wheat" continued, and still continues, albeit with less dynamic leadership and results, the work is still managed by the Lord of the harvest who knows what must be done to gather in the last grains of "wheat."

"Laodicea" is said to mean "justice for the people," or "judged people," and "just people."

This period, then, has to do with a people judged or just and to whom justice would prevail. This period is unique, and differs from all others. In this harvest, God rejected the great body of nominal believers, and calls his faithful out into a condition of separation.

The saints are called out of "Babylon." Most of the reformers tried to reform the Mother Church or Protestant factions. The Laodicean period, while it called for repentance, asked the true believer to separate from Babylon the Great. Small numbers left their church affiliations and joined the Truth movement. However, they did not all come out clean.

The truth movement, therefore, went through periodic siftings. Those who had some special interests, or who had a special agenda, were led by the nature of siftings to leave or try to make another movement. The dynamics of the truth movement were responsible for its growth and influence, far out of proportion to its actual membership.

"I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

"Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

"As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore and repent.

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me." Revelation 3:14-20

The condition described is rather pathetic for the Christian community.

They fancy themselves as being in a splendid condition and fail to realize that from God’s vantagepoint they are "poor" and "blind" and "naked."

However, the highlight of this period is that the "Lord is standing" at the door and will enter into every heart that will open unto him.

These may feast with the Lord who brings the supper, the best "meal on wheels" in our time (Luke 12:42).

The harvest is the "end of the age" (Matthew 13:39).

This was to be a time of separation of "wheat" from "tares." The time for them to be together was ended.

The "wheat" is to be gathered into the Gospel Garner. The "tares" are bound together in bundles. They obviously like being "bundled" because it gives them the allusion of strength and greatness. However, the "tares" fail to realize this "bundling" will lead to their being piled high and burned as "tares," or as professing Christians.

The "tares" look at the small clumps of "wheat" with disdain. They actually prided themselves in being bundled into large church organizations, and then in having these church groups join in Federated groups such as the World Council of Churches. Little do they realize this massive grouping is nothing more than piling high the "tare" bundles to be burned to their profession of being Christian. One of the ways the "tares" will be burned is when they come to realize "what is the real church of Christ" (Reprint 5951, par. 3).

The end of the "harvest" will find the remaining saints placed in a position to make a strong defense of the Truth acting as the "sword" of his "mouth" (Revelation 19:15).

We believe 1878 was the time when "Babylon" was cast off or "fallen" from God’s favor. No longer could "Babylon" be God’s mouthpiece.

Not only are the "tares" separated, but also before the harvest ends Elijah must be separated from Elisha. The "wise virgins" must be separated from the "foolish virgins." The harvest will not end before this happens.

The story of the "seven churches" covers the Gospel age, consummating in the triumphant completion of the true church of God. Each of the seven churches saw the Lord calling to his sheep and guiding the faithful. To all the churches were given the seven "spirits" or promises of God, All the promises were theirs. Jesus Christ, after opening the seven "seals," knew what would transpire and was thus able to prepare the "angel" of each church appropriate warnings and encouragement that would sustain the faithful while reprimanding the wicked.

The ending of the seventh church will see the separation of the "wheat" and "tares" completed. Then "shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father." Matthew 13:43

Victory, victory, victory at last comes for the true church.

All the "exceeding great and precious promises" will at last be realized by the "more than conquerors" of the Gospel age.

This will be the crowning moment in God’s eternity, when at last He has His jewels for an eternal possession.

In Zephaniah 3:17 we read: "The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

Also, I want to point out, there are 7 Church ages. What I mean, isn't it interesting that a lot of times, the Biblical principles often goes in 7s? For instance: 7-day creation, if someone was sick, they washed their selves 7 times, and a 7-year tribulation. I believe that we are in the last days, not only because we are seeing the signs, but we also are in the 7th Church age. In Revelations 3 only mention 7 Churches. And each one has its own angel, not only that but an age as well. And after that, there are no more ages.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:39 am
Once again, nowhere in the Bible does it say that there are "seven church ages." This is a (much) later interpretation.

Each church has its own angel because each church is being sent a message. It is a contemporary (that is, for that time) message. However, God uses these ancient verses to apply to our lives today--hence why we are convicted from time to time reading these things.

The number seven is a symbolic number of completion. Things happen in sevens to symbolize completion. This has been the standard, and will continue to be the standard in Biblical symbolism.

One last thing: Pastor Charles Taze Russell was the founder of the "Bible Student movement", out of which the Jehovah's Witnesses come. This, of course, makes sense--with your zeal for the end times and evangelism.
I don't agree with the Jehovah's Witnesses.
I find that the theology is rooted in an extremely strained interpretation of the book of Revelation. The thoughts concerning Christ are against Scripture.  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:17 am
It doesn't matter if it says in the Bible the exact same words. I did a lot of research of it, and there are a lot of hidden meanings in the Bible we can discover if we read, mediate upon it, and do a lot of research on it. Not only that, if you read any of what I posted, all of the Church ages did come to past.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:00 pm
Incidentally, that's what the heretics of old said.

The Bible can (and has, in the past: i.e. slavery, Nazism, etc.) be used to say unbiblical things--with just "a little bit of research and meditation."

It is with a hindsight lens that we are able to very easily say, "that is unscriptural."

I've done my research. People were so convinced that their obviously unscriptural interpretations were biblical.

Another thing to note: these are very arbitrarily picked periods of time.  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

Jessie-the-Foodie

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:48 pm
I really don't think that many are called, but few are chosen thing refers to death and making it into heaven.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:21 pm
Zerotheslayer
I really don't think that many are called, but few are chosen thing refers to death and making it into heaven.

Called to what, is the question. 3nodding  

Gambol

Shy Sex Symbol

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:11 am
Zerotheslayer

I think it is. I believe many are called, meaning we are to plant the seed of the Gospel in the souls of men. But only a few will only bare fruit. It also said that straight and narrow is the way. The wide road will lead to destruction.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games