Submit

Lune the Looney

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:45 am
So how do Muggle Borns get magic?

My theory is there was probably wizard in the family at some point. So maybe it is like the squib theory, it passes through some generations. Because, there is a good chance that there is a little magic blood in a family line, and in the small proportions, had to be compatible with something? Maybe some magic blood is only compatible with certain blood types.

Or, there was a squib in a pure blood family who married a muggle, and eventually it became a muggle family, and there was a witch or wizard eventually, so maybe it was passed from the squib.

Anyway, what do you all think?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 am
Hey I thought of this therory...kinda biggrin cool.
I think it could either be a very distant wizard in the family, or it could be very opposit the squib theory and maybe they just got lucky. The parents could have been in contact with a highly powerful magical artifact or attacked, and that little bit of magic rubbed off onto the baby when they had the spell in the mother's body.

Sunnie_prep

Lune the Looney

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 am
That makes sense...  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:50 am
Don't they say that when you look at a muggle born's family tree, you will always find a witch or a wizard somewhere in the family? I also like the theory that a squib married a muggle, and eventually the family became a muggle family til a witch or wizard was born.  

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200

gerp91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm
I think that is true. I think that there was a wizard somewhere in the family and that gene got hidden for many generations and then suddenly appeared. I also have a question, kinda bout the same thing. When a wizard and muggle get together and have a baby but the baby can't do magic, would that make them a squib or a muggle?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm
its all about genetics with dominant and ressesive traits  

ZackyBakerVengeance

Liberal Entrepreneur

6,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Team Edward 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Lune the Looney

5,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 pm
True, and I think muggle  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 pm
It depends on how far back in the family tree one is willing to trace.

The Death Eaters and their like judged on the grandparents' magical ability which is where we get "Muggleborn" if all four grandparents cannot do magic, "pureblood" when all four can, and "halfblood" for any other mix of magic and nonmagic grandparents. Oh, plus they counted Muggleborn grandparents the same as Muggle ones.

I think that the magic gene can be both dominant or recessive, for if it was dominant all the time, we wouldn't have Squibs and if it was recessive all the time, we wouldn't have overflowing amounts of halfbloods. In fact, a better way to describe it would probably be that it is akin to the genes for skin color or eye color in Muggles.

For Muggleborns, and how they get the magic--the gene is there. A wizard or witch or squib was in their family, just far enough back that it would get ignored by the Wizarding Community.

As for the nonmagical child born of a wizard and a Muggle, well why don't you compare it to hair color? Say the mother had brown hair and the father had red. If the child is born with brown hair are you going to call it a non-redhead? It's a nonmagical child that takes after her mother. It's a Muggle.

A Squib is someone that is as pureblooded as the Malfoys or the Blacks or the Weasleys. Mrs. Figg and Mr. Filch both are purebloods. They just can't do magic. If Dean Thomas or Seamus Finnigan ended up nonmagical, do you think anyone could effectively call him a Squib? He's a half-blood. According to the DE, that could be the only result possible from tainting your blood by mixing with a Muggle.

Also, how pure indeed is the wizard? Are his magical genes strong enough to carry to the next generation? Or is he one step away from being a Muggle himself? Because, theoretically, if he's pureblooded, the children will have a hard time not being magical. That's how we get half-bloods, and there are plenty of those.

Going back to the original question, it could be either a Squib or a Wizard or Witch that married into a Muggle family and provided the gene for all the carriers.

And according to Jo, mixing the magic gene with the genetics of someone like Vernon Dursley is enough to kill the gene. So, I'm not sure how to apply that, except be thankful that not everyone in the Muggle world is like Dursley and that we even get Muggleborns.

Matelia legwll

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff