Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Adviiice

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Medias Res III

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:56 pm
So, I have known this girl online for years, YEARS. 6 now? And she became a very close friend of mine annnnd she has had some issues with drugs and what not, that my mother is aware of and is fine now.

I want to go visit her and finally meet her BUT my mother will go crazy and start screaming and tell me no and all that other BS.

I'm 21. Yes, I do need a job and I WILL get one (mother just threatened to cancel my insurance to make me house arrested and unable to drive because I don't have a job) when mother stops nagging.

I could afford to buy a plane ticket tomorrow but I want to go in a few months.

What can I do?

How can I convince my mother that it's OKAY, that I can take care of myself?

Haven't I travelled enough?

Why is it that I can walk around town alone at 2am in Istanbul, even Cairo, but I can't go for a walk in my own neighbourhood past like 7?

I want to go to Utah, I HAVE to finally meet her.

Advice?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:10 pm
if it was me...i would give it a break >>
I mean...How did you come up with all this money for Jordan and Egypt anyway??  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

In Medias Res III

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:07 pm
PiercedPixie2
if it was me...i would give it a break >>
I mean...How did you come up with all this money for Jordan and Egypt anyway??

I can assure you that it wasn't from my parents. My grandfather was a very wealthy man who made sure his grandchildren would be well taken care of.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:52 am
Maybe you should just tell her that you're going to do it, and do it. If she doesn't like it, try explaining her that you'll be fine, but it doesn't depend on her. At some point, comes the time to just let go.  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

In Medias Res III

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:32 am
Im A Little Pea
Maybe you should just tell her that you're going to do it, and do it. If she doesn't like it, try explaining her that you'll be fine, but it doesn't depend on her. At some point, comes the time to just let go.

LOL with MY mother?

She's trying to make me feel guilty about going to Turkey, in fact, she just cancelled my insurance so I CAN'T DRIVE, so I can't even look for a job! But she's yelling at me for not having a job and going on about how she and my father are kicking me out because I don't have a job.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:09 am
In Medias Res III
Im A Little Pea

LOL with MY mother?

She's trying to make me feel guilty about going to Turkey, in fact, she just cancelled my insurance so I CAN'T DRIVE, so I can't even look for a job! But she's yelling at me for not having a job and going on about how she and my father are kicking me out because I don't have a job.
I don't really know how it works there, but - can't you get an insurance? Find a job once you've got it, that's probably going to make things easier. That's the only way for you to be independent and not having to consider your parents' reactions to every step you take.  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:34 am
How is the public transportation there? And how far is your home from the down town area or any commercial places?  
The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games