Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Awkward times with a family who does not speak your language

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:36 pm
So a friend of mine lives in Denmark and kind of wants me to visit him.
I dont speak much Danish at all, and he is the only one in their house who speaks English.

I was thinking....what would I say to them? Since i would probably be staying in their guest house. I can thank them for the meals, i can ask about the weather, i can tell them i like to watch handball...But what happens if my friend is out of the house and its me and his mom or sister?

Do i sit there awkwardly and smile?

Have you ever been put this in this situation?
How did you cope with it?
A lot of people say, language is but a small barrier, is body language really the key?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 am
It wouldn't be that bad. You'd be surprised by how much body language plays into language to begin with. I've had my own family members here who don't even know one word of English, as long as someone in the family can be a mediator, all goes well.

You know, you could always teach them some English and vice versa.

I remember sitting in the middle of a desert with Arabic men who spoke very minimal English and we spent the night smoking shisha and being taught how to count in Arabic and say dirty words mrgreen  

In Medias Res III

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:00 pm
In Medias Res III
It wouldn't be that bad. You'd be surprised by how much body language plays into language to begin with. I've had my own family members here who don't even know one word of English, as long as someone in the family can be a mediator, all goes well.

You know, you could always teach them some English and vice versa.

I remember sitting in the middle of a desert with Arabic men who spoke very minimal English and we spent the night smoking shisha and being taught how to count in Arabic and say dirty words mrgreen

Well i know SOME Danish xp

So i could just say 'How do you say ( ) in Danish?' and just learn random words like couch, fork, whatever is handy xD

I could also pretend i understand more Danish than i speak, and ask her the history of things xD Ah yes..that shall fill the time nicely.

I cant believe you smoke >>  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 pm
Don't pretend to know more Danish than you actually do! That would be awkward XD.

I don't really smoke, it's a cultural thing! I like smoking shisha but wouldn't do it here, and it also depends on who I am with.

I once tried to get addicted to nicotine (don't ask) and I couldn't do it.  

In Medias Res III

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm
In Medias Res III
Don't pretend to know more Danish than you actually do! That would be awkward XD.

I don't really smoke, it's a cultural thing! I like smoking shisha but wouldn't do it here, and it also depends on who I am with.

Good! Nicotine does worse than it does 'good'
You are organic and vegan arent you?
Smoking kind of defeats the purpose of loving your body by only eating organic ^^  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:18 pm
PiercedPixie2
In Medias Res III

Good! Nicotine does worse than it does 'good'
You are organic and vegan arent you?
Smoking kind of defeats the purpose of loving your body by only eating organic ^^

I'd LOVE to be vegan but I can't, I'll get really ill. I am, however, as kosher as I can be. I'll starve myself for days on end sometimes so being a vegan would only facilitate it.

I doooo use organic products though mrgreen  

In Medias Res III

Soni Amarelle

Dapper Gekko

8,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:16 pm
nope, although i speak pieces of like, every language on the earth, except maybe chinese and specific dialects, but you know, it's better than nothing! and seeing as though i haven't been out of the continental us i've got time to practice before i go to that country!

currently working on: german
japanese  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:05 pm
In some cultures nodding means no.

I successfully manage to avoid smalltalk with body language:
"Do you have a lighter?" -> Put the Hand to the mouth and move the thumb up and down.

It really helps on concerts... sweatdrop  

Verderbnis
Crew

LadyLoriel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:04 pm
Sounds like when some of my relatives comes to visit. They only speak russian and don't know english and can only say hi and thanks in swedish, and all I can say in russian is cheers.
So the only way for us to actully try to understand eachother is to use our hands to make signs or similar things to try to understand eachother. This far it have worked pretty good, even if you might look kinda weird at some moments.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:59 am
It's awkward at first, but through your broken Danish and body language, plus probably some very minimal English from them, it works. Bring a dictionary, but you'll learn more if you don't use it in conversation. Dictionaries are better for written stuff, and to look up a certain word you keep hearing/seeing but don't understand.  

Affy Tapple

The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff