Reply [IC] Abandoned Temple [IC]
[PRP] Scent the air [Tifua/Vian]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Successful Edit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:15 pm
It wasn’t that she didn’t like her job. Tifua-cha loved being a Priestess now even though as a tomboy cub she’d never been able to imagine herself as anything but a Guardian. So she could fight, so she could take out some of her anger in a way that helped the pride. But time and love, even unrequited as it was, had smoothed her rough edges and devotion to her religion had brought her peace she’d never felt as a child.

Times like now though…she huffed out a breath of air and readjusted the grip of her teeth on the thick stick that was the branch of a tree she was dragging towards the smaller temple of Sakhmet and Bastet. It was fragrant wood and the old branch had withered and stopped perfuming the shrine air. She’d dragged that out and now felt exhausted dragging in this replacement.

"Need a little help?" Vian stopped at the side of his pridemate, turning his head and leaning down slightly towards her level. He offered a smooth, simple smile and waited for a response. He'd be more than willing to help, but he respected an independent woman. After all, he knew two very special ones and would not change a thing about them. Although he guessed his mate Meilin would be more willing to accept help if she needed it than his sister Adanna. She was stubborn to the point of foolishness, but he supposed that was one thing he loved about her.

She released the branch so she could speak. Normally she would struggle on, independent to a fault. But today she just didn’t feel like it. Tifua wanted the tiresome chore out of the way. The tree branch was much larger than usual, for she’d thought that the fragrance would last longer that way. But oh did it add some weight!

“Please, Vian, that would be very kind of you.” She offered a smile back at the elder lion.

"Of course," he dipped down his head, fastening his jaws around the branch. As he pulled upward he lifted it with a powerful grace. He did not have the greatest amount of brute strength in his family, but he had quite a bit to speak of. His side of the branch lifted fairly easily and even a bit of the other side rose too. Theoretically he could carry it himself, but he would not deny her that role if she chose to take it. He would be as helpful as she wanted him to be, nothing more, nothing less.

Not to be outdone, Tifua took up her half once more of the huge branch and forced herself to put her strength into the task too. It was much easier with help – Vian’s side lifted off the ground and hers lifted better because of it, there was less drag. They could manoeuvre the branch into the smaller temple-within-the-Temple where Tifua spent so much of her time. Soon as it was in place she let go, nodded to Vian.

“Thank you. Tasks always a bit awkward. Much easier with - ” Her head tilted briefly, eyes diverted, then focused back on her pridemate. Guilty little smile. Caught distracted.“ – two to drag it.”

Vian raised his eyebrows a little. He was usually pretty observant, as being such was required of a good leader, something he had been more in the past. But her distraction was rather obvious anyway. What it was about, however, he would not assume. He knew Tifua, but not well enough to guess her mind with certainty.

"True. You're quite welcome," He nodded his head and asked with a slight double meaning in his tone, "Is there anything else I can help you with?" It was an offer to share anything she had on her mind, if she chose. That was what pride-mates were for; looking after and supporting one another.

“No, that’s everything done for me for now. Just the rituals later on.” She explained, patting some of the leaves on the branch. All done. It was here, correctly placed, and while it wasn’t the most refined way to fragrance the air (not like she could n** out for some incense sticks) in this part of the temple least it was effective. Smelt soft and spicy.

“Any way I could return the favor? Or maybe you could join me for a drink?” She said. Vian wasn’t a member she knew /that/ well but Tifua had seen him about. Besides, pride-mates should socialize and get to know each other. Could only be a good thing.

Her lack of openness did not offend him. After all, they were not too close due to their lack of interaction. Why share her troubles with him if she didn't have to? And he sensed no direness about whatever the issue was, so he felt content to leave it be. He was a concerned individual, but he knew when concern was truly needed.
"A drink would be nice, thank you," Vian agreed. Getting to know his fellow pride-mate would be nice. Unity within a pride was important and the only way to strengthen those ties was to strengthen individual bonds. He had done his hunting job for the day, so a little bit of socialization was in order.

She gestured towards one of the rooms opposite the shrine rooms, where there were a few things stored, that was a comfortable place to sit. Inside there was also a large low metal dish. Dented, old, ancient in fact (it had only survived so long being metal) but full of water.

“Takasika found this under the sand that was in piled in here.” Her expression softened at the High Priest’s name. Enough that one could notice. “Fill it from the lake every now and then.”

Vian took a moment to examine the bowl, though he did not miss her change of expression. Though he was a desert dweller by birth, he had never encountered something quite like it. It was impressive and he wondered vaguely if the gods had made it, or something else had.
"It's quite an amazing find. Takasika is very fortunate," He commented, going over to the bowl. Before he took a drink he asked, giving her plenty of time to answer, " He is your mentor, isn't he?" He dropped his eyes to the water, lapping it up conservatively with this tongue. He kept his ears turned attentively in her direction.

“Yes he’s very lucky with such finds. They’re getting rarer and rarer as time goes by.” It was true. Stone and metal, glass beads and gems, these things lasted best through time. Besides statues they were getting few and far between though so good examples of the old like the bowl were highly valued. Only in the deep of the tombs up in the western branch of the mountains were there many artifacts left and those belonged to the dead.

“He’s a wonderful teacher.” She replied. She lay down in a favoured spot, delicately crossing her paws. “Though your nephew – I believe? - is a wonderful teacher too, so I hear. Ilori. My young friend Hiba was singing his praises just yesterday.”

"And they've been, of course, rare to start with. I've never seen one." Vian sat back, licking the drops of water from his maw expertly. Every drop mattered out here, even if they were able to access water when they needed it. It was just best not to waste.
"Ilori?" Vian smiled as he settled back to make himself comfortable opposite her. "Yes...he is. I'm not sure where he gets it from...certainly not from his mother." He laughed a little at the joke, but not enough to seem presumptious if she could not share it. Those who knew Ada might understand, but he didn't want to assume she knew Ada well.

“Ah Adanna. I once thought she’d be my teacher once I’d finished basic classes. I swore I was going to be a Guardian when I was a cub.” Another member she didn’t know that well but one she greatly admired, Adanna’s basic temperment was known to her. It showed in her smile she understood.

“Now though I have no idea why I once wished for battle….now it’d take dire need to get me to fight.” Tifua chatted. "Takasika said it's like I turned from a lioness of Sakhmet into a lioness of Bastet."

"We want many things as children," Vian laughed. He remembered how spirited and recklessly Ada had sought adventure as a child. Sure, she hadn't changed much, but there was a slight difference. It was all a part of growing up.

"Often when you grow up, your views changed. It's rather common, I'd say. Though, perhaps Takasika has something to do with it? I hear he's quite inspirational as a mentor," he replied. He was glad she had found peace, regardless of the cause, though he was beginning to suspect he knew what it was. But such things were healthy for those as young as she; he was no old man, certainly, but he was experienced enough to know what was happening.

The extra time spent with Takasika was a bonus she had to admit. Oblivious though he was to her love for him. She had to wonder if it was as obvious to everyone else as it had been to those who knew her best that she was smitten with the High Priest? Oh dear…that might set them thinking that that extra time was her only reason to follow this path.

“Yes he is and as much as I..." Her face fell for a second as she chose a word " admire Takasika it was my cousin Tesni who was really the one who inspired the change in me I think. She asked me to go traveling with her in our adolescence and she herself is so passionate. You've travelled to I think? Well the desert and these gods were the only place that felt like home to me and her passion was infectious.”

She smiled.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm
Vian had to think that he was glad that Takasika wasn't the only reason she had stuck with her profession. No matter how much you loved someone, you shouldn't completely base yourself upon them. People came and go, both purposefully and on accident. To invest yourself in a person is to leave yourself lost the moment they leave. It wasn't healthy.

"I think that's wonderful," he said with a genuine smile, "Not many people get that sort of feeling, no matter how long they live." He had it, with his family. It had been a long time since he had felt that feeling. He felt close now, but it just wasn't the same, not without his brothers.

“It is truly a blessing.” She said and took her turn to lap up some water from the long shallow bowl, pleased that Vian seemed to understand that Takasika wasn’t the entire reason for her existence. He just helped fill that existence with light – and shadow. It could be heartbreaking sometimes knowing he didn’t see her as she saw him.

She settled down again.

"Well, I should probably get back," he said casually, slipping up to his paws again with a simple stretch. "Can't lay down on the job too long." A light chuckle tickled his voice and soon disappeared as he pawed across the room.
At the exit he stopped, pausing the pass her a sideways glance and add warmly,

"Keep your chin up, kid." He then disappeared heading back out through their home into the warm desert air.

"You're always welcome." Tifua said softly, and laid her head on her paws. Metaphorically her chin would be kept up and she was quite happy - she could hear Takasika outside, hear his voice. So near and yet so far away.

Vian's visit had been good though. A new friend and a bit of hope did wonders.

THE END.

((And Vian's a member properly now~! =) ))  

Successful Edit

[IC] Abandoned Temple [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff