Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Target...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Verderbnis
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:07 pm
I don't know I find this word funny it consist of tar and get...

I wonder where this word comes from. I know where I get my tar >_>

Ok, this is rather a random thought finding its way down on a keyboard, but some words really make me curious...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Etymology Dictionary
Target: c.1400, "shield," dim. of late O.E. targe, from O.Fr. targe "light shield," from Frank. *targa "shield" (cf. O.H.G. zarga "edging, border," Ger. zarge, O.E. targe, O.N. targa "shield"), from P.Gmc. *targo "border, edge." Meaning "object to be aimed at in shooting" first recorded 1757, originally in archery. Verb meaning "to use as a target" is attested from 1837.

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:52 am
Some words do look quite funny.
I also hate how Oprah pronounces it, like the store? She pronounces it 'tar - gay' trying to make it sound French stare  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:05 pm
^ Haha, that's what my family jokingly calls the store too, except the J is soft: "Tar-zhay."  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

Verderbnis
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:54 pm
It has been "Tarjet" (jet, like "jet") a long time and then I just had an ear on original english and now use the "tar-get"...

And yes, foreign people crippling foreign languages is not really funny, in my area there are a lot of people with immigrative background. They often don't even speak their own language properly, which results in an also crippled german.  
The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games