Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Which creation myth do you like best?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:17 pm
I love hearing different creation myths that are out there.
let me share mine...[ Summarized! ]

I like the Greek Creation myth:

With Zeus defeated his father Kronus and he began to furnish Gaia with life and Uranus with stars.

Zeus had his sons Prometheus & Epimetheus, he told them to go to Earth and create men and animals and give them each a gift. When he went to see what gift to give man Epimetheus said he had used all the gifts.

Pandora was convinced that because the gods and goddesses had showered so many glorious gifts, that this one would also be wonderful. One day when Epimetheus was gone she opened the box.

Out of the box flew all of the horrors which plague the world today - pain, sickness, envy, greed. Upon hearing Pandora's screams Epimetheus rushed home and fastened the lid shut, but all of the evils had already escaped.

Later that night they heard a voice coming from the box saying,

"Let me out. I am hope."

Pandora and Epimetheus released her and she flew out into the world to give hope to humankind.

* Which one do you like best?
* Is it mythological, religious, cultural based?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:56 pm
Yeah but.. which Greek creation myth? Hesiodic or Homeric? Theogony for the win!  

In Medias Res III

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm
In Medias Res III
Yeah but.. which Greek creation myth? Hesiodic or Homeric? Theogony for the win!

I have no idea, which it is. XD
I took a class on Mythology it and that was one of the stories which stuck with me.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:04 am
The Maya account of creation in the Popol Vuh is my favorite. There's something lyrical about it even when it's written in English. Unfortunately I can't read Classical Maya.

Here is a link. It's worth a read; the whole thing, not just the creation myth.  

Eccentric Iconoclast

Bellalisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:39 am
Besides my own?

It is some sort of creation were both a male and a female cascaded down from a vine from heaven at the same time.

Its either from Africa or the Middle East, I forget which.

Sorry, that's all that I can remember.  
The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff