Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Practice foreign vocabulary/World countries& feed the hungry

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:06 pm
I've been to the rice giving site before, but had no idea it had language choices eek

It has Spanish, French, Italian, and German.
And you just translate the word, it's really helping my vocabulary and giving free rice x3

You can also identify countries and cities on a map...Is this stuff new or has it always been there? XD

I hope some of you can benefit, and in turn, benefit the hungry.
http://www.freerice.com/subjects.php?t=11833259236

What do you think? :O  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 am
They have languages now? Hmm, strange how it's so Eurocentric: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish. . .
Though I should be kind and assume that those languages were the easiest for them to set up and that they intend to expand.  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:43 pm
Britomartis-the-Valiant
They have languages now? Hmm, strange how it's so Eurocentric: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish. . .
Though I should be kind and assume that those languages were the easiest for them to set up and that they intend to expand.

Well those are just commonly spoken, last time i was on the site, there was no choice, it was just English ^^

I'm sure they'll expand to the Middle Eastern languages ;D  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:11 pm
I didn't know free rice had a translation feature. I'll have to try it out. xd  

RubyLight

Verderbnis
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:37 am
Britomartis-the-Valiant

Maybe it's because the european culture expanded very aggressive during colonial times. Just think about how many people speak those languages outside of europe at least as second language...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:59 pm
I don't get it... Who is donating? how do they pay for it? If they can donate 60 billion grains of rice why should there be an online game for them to do so, they can just do that, can't they?...  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:53 pm
Im A Little Pea
I don't get it... Who is donating? how do they pay for it? If they can donate 60 billion grains of rice why should there be an online game for them to do so, they can just do that, can't they?...

They are trying to provide free education as well, at least according to their website.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 am
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Im A Little Pea

They are trying to provide free education as well, at least according to their website.
That's really cool... But why should it depend if you get the answer right or not? If they can donate this much rice they can just do that anyway, right? It's a little confusing to me.  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:56 am
Im A Little Pea
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Im A Little Pea

That's really cool... But why should it depend if you get the answer right or not? If they can donate this much rice they can just do that anyway, right? It's a little confusing to me.

Well, they are paying for it with advertising, so maybe they get more money from advertising if more people are on the website for extended periods of time.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:41 pm
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Im A Little Pea
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Im A Little Pea

Well, they are paying for it with advertising, so maybe they get more money from advertising if more people are on the website for extended periods of time.
You know, I thought it might be it. But I don't see any ads there, except for that little Harvard logo... I'm not sure this is the thing. 0.0  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces