Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Insight to how other countries look - photos maybe? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:00 pm
@ Verderbnis

Okay, why is there a US checkpoint in Germany? sweatdrop

@ Little Pea

Bloody beautiful eek  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:25 pm
PiercedPixie2
@ Verderbnis

It's left over from the Cold War. It's famous Checkpoint Charlie between East and West Berlin where they would exchange prisoners and the like.  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:52 am
Britomartis-the-Valiant
PiercedPixie2
@ Verderbnis

It's left over from the Cold War. It's famous Checkpoint Charlie between East and West Berlin where they would exchange prisoners and the like.

Ah okay, i didnt think they'd keep it alive this long x3
Thanks for the info ~  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:27 pm
They did not keep it alive with it's original purpose, of course now there is a museum and the "live" exponate. It was also famous because of a woman called Jutta Gallus who got discarded from the GDR (German Democratic Republic, Soviet Sector) and given to the federal republic and demonstrated for the release of her two daughters, who were still kept there.

Btw, the agent exchanges were mainly in "Staaken", the western exit of Berlin.

I can remember an episode of Mc-Guyver which started with such a scene.

But that what I have shown to you was really more footage from the younger history of Berlin, we also have old stuff, concerning prussian aristocracy and lots of scene-places...  

Verderbnis
Crew

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:07 pm
Verderbnis
They did not keep it alive with it's original purpose, of course now there is a museum and the "live" exponate. It was also famous because of a woman called Jutta Gallus who got discarded from the GDR (German Democratic Republic, Soviet Sector) and given to the federal republic and demonstrated for the release of her two daughters, who were still kept there.

Btw, the agent exchanges were mainly in "Staaken", the western exit of Berlin.

I can remember an episode of Mc-Guyver which started with such a scene.

But that what I have shown to you was really more footage from the younger history of Berlin, we also have old stuff, concerning prussian aristocracy and lots of scene-places...

Crap i thought i responded to this earlier.
Thank you for the information, we learn something new each day ;D  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:21 am
Verderbnis, can I pester you with an endless string of questions about Berlin? I'm going to be in Germany over the summer, and will hopefully spend a few days in Berlin, so I want all the information I can get.  

lili of the lamplight

Bellalisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:04 am
This is a picture of a Tampa, Florida sunrise at a bus transfer station taken about 2-3 years ago.

User Image

I have some pictures of theme parks which are a big part of American culture, at least, I think. I live in Florida too, one of the theme park capitals of the world!

A picture of the Cinderella castle during Christmas time at night in Orlando Florida's Magic Kingdom, Disneyworld.

User Image

Below is a picture of a waiting area at Disneyworld's Animal Kingdom's ride called "Primevel Whirl"

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 am
I've said I would do this and put it off... I moved to Jerusalem about a month ago. It's a pretty nice area.

Uni,
User Image
User Image
User Image

City,
User Image
User Image
User Image  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:56 am
That's so gorgeous!

Ah man, now I really want to go to Israel. emo  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 am
User Image
This here is a bootiful pikchurr of the sunset and Emirates Palace I took while walking along the Corniche with my friend. :]  

Precious Munchkins

7,650 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100

vmag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:01 pm
Behold! Afghanistan  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff