Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Cross-Cultural Dating

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:22 pm
As society becomes more and more globally oriented and interconnected, inter-racial, cross-cultural, and international dating and relationships are bound to be more common.

Inter-racial relationships are natural and healthy. According to tests, women are more likely to be attracted (via smells according to one test) to someone whose genes are very different from their own. This prevents inbreeding and decreases the likelihood of children having to defected, recessive traits.

There is also a phenomenon called hybrid vigor. A heterozygous (mixed breed) individual combines strengths of both homozygous parents.

Cross-cultural relationships, however, can be tricky, especially when cultural awareness is lagging.
Some stories and other information can be found here: http://www.dateculture.com/

So, anyone dying to share stories about their inter-racial and/or cross-cultural dating experiences? Please, please do! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 am
Well, I've dated a guy from Hong Kong, a Vietnamese, a Japanese, and a Chinese/Viet. >.<

Had a slight infatuation (sp?) with a full Aussie, but I cut it off. Because of the difficulty of stepping away from an Asian environment. And the disapproval of parents, and friends.

An Unknown Kunoichi

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:55 pm
An Unknown Kunoichi
Well, I've dated a guy from Hong Kong, a Vietnamese, a Japanese, and a Chinese/Viet. >.<

Had a slight infatuation (sp?) with a full Aussie, but I cut it off. Because of the difficulty of stepping away from an Asian environment. And the disapproval of parents, and friends.

I think disapproval of the family is one of the most major hurtles that can exist in an interracial relationship. Often you never find out your parents are racist until you mention your significant other.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:20 pm
Hmmm I know my parents are racist alright, told me from day one whom I should not date. I find myself to be attracted to cute, young hardworking Mexican guys... tee hee. Asians are pretty cute too, although there's not a lot of them over here. It's good to live in a city where many cultures clash. I'm not marrying an Albanian guy ever... they scare me.  

birdspee

Im A Little Pea
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:59 am
Being, if you could say so, a 'by-product' of interracial marriage, I couldn't be against it, and I'm not; I've never had a relationship with someone of a very different racial / cultural background than my own, but I have no problem with that in general. It could be very cool.

However, I don't think I could date someone who is very religious, because I don't want to adapt myself to those ideas. I don't like the "no sex before marriage" thing, neither the way women are looked upon in many religions. It would have enormous effects on my lifestyle. I don't want these standards imposed on me, no matter how much I like the guy. It just could never work out.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 am
I'm Czech and my love is a Salvadorian.
We've been a couple since October 2006, after being first email and chat friends. It's miraclous how well we fit together - in personality, values, age, interests, physical appearance too I would say XD [he's as pale as me, unlike the stereotype, and we're also of the same height.] We've been emailing, chatting and talking on the phone a lot, having decided to be patient till the time we can be together.
He came to visit me last year, in May and June, it was awesome time.
And next year after I finish the uni I'm coming to there if everything goes well... an earlier visit is not possible yet because of money [he has been saving up a lot for the ticket for me to come and generally for our future] and time [I have duties for my university and he works as a programmer in a company where they hardly ever give him any free days sad and if so it's rather on time when they decide and not the time when he would need them].  

Ametrin

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:46 am
Luz Melian
I'm Czech and my love is a Salvadorian.
We've been a couple since October 2006, after being first email and chat friends. It's miraclous how well we fit together - in personality, values, age, interests, physical appearance too I would say XD [he's as pale as me, unlike the stereotype, and we're also of the same height.] We've been emailing, chatting and talking on the phone a lot, having decided to be patient till the time we can be together.
He came to visit me last year, in May and June, it was awesome time.
And next year after I finish the uni I'm coming to there if everything goes well... an earlier visit is not possible yet because of money [he has been saving up a lot for the ticket for me to come and generally for our future] and time [I have duties for my university and he works as a programmer in a company where they hardly ever give him any free days sad and if so it's rather on time when they decide and not the time when he would need them].

That is so awesome, and i assume you mean he lives in El Salvador.
Central America is so lovely. The long distance thing can be very hard, but i think they work out more often than if you dated someone in your city.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:28 am
Yes, he lives in San Salvador - the capital of El Salvador.
It's complicated but he's wonderful and the only person I want to be with <3

And what is still left for you two to have to arrange till you can live together, Pixie? I hope it all goes well for you heart  

Ametrin

Bellalisa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 am
I am mostly attracted to lantinos.

I am white.

The only boyfriend I have ever had was Cuban-American, and he was from Miami.

He was ok, since he was into the skater culture which is predominately a rock subculture which means alot of white influence, and he has lived in places other than Miami, and I was exsposed to spanish culture from living in Tampa, so we were ok.

I tend to dress, for lack of words, a little "goth" I suppose. Even when I try to look more "normal" it doesn't work much because then I end up looking like a bohemian. xd

Which was fine with him, but for the longest time, his mother hated me, she wouldn't let me come over (so he would invite me over when his mother and step-dad were working). She just said that I was weird, and unfourtonately, she mostly judged me on how I was dressed.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:59 am
I've been in relationships before, but my current one is the only one that I've ever told my family about. My parents already don't approve of me dating period, despite me being out of the house and a college student, but to find out the girl's not Cambodian made them rage in disbelief. She's full Chinese. I guess they thought I was kidding and well, they're saying she wont last. Their reasons for saying that was what actually angered me. They said she wont be with me for long because no girl or person in general would stand being involved with a family that doesn't want her. They went off on how they'd constantly tell her she doesn't belong or that she's a good for nothing. I think it's just ridiculous how unreasonable and childish my parents are being. I mean, to intentionally try and hurt my relationship? I knew my parents were racist, but I didn't think it was this bad. I'm hoping they'll come around and they're just being a little ignorant for now. My brother and sisters all want to meet her. It's the first time I've actually involved them in my relationship and my siblings are taking it rather nice.  

DaisukeBabi

The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff