Reply Death Note Guild
The rule that drives me crazy...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Think the rule's a fake?
  Definately! It's too unfair to be real!
  Nope. They're definately better off with the rule.
  hmm... It could be? I see where you're coming from...
View Results

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:27 pm
As you can see from my name, I'm an extreme fan of shinigami. Especially Rem. Some people say I should've been her in another life. I think she's the coolest! Anyway, I'm also a huge fan of pairing her with everybody's faveourite... Ryuk! (or as I call him, Ryukie! heart ) And always thought they shouldv'e made a cute couple in the series. But then while reading volume six of the manga I noticed the one rule that still keeps bugging me.

Death Note Rule XXXVI
exclaim Although there are male and female gods of death, it is neither permitted nor possible for them to have a sexual relationship with a human.
exclaim The gods of death can also not have sex with eachother.

And when reading that I suddenly yelled "Wait! What?!" and fell off my bed. sweatdrop
I can understand the part about shinigami not being with humans. But EACHOTHER?!
I know that many people say the shinigami are technically 'genderless' but then why would that rule be there in the first place? Besides Rem told Misa that she was FEMALE in the same volume when they were in the yotsuba building.
So... why does that rule exist? I mean if it was a definate fact then why would they need to put it in the death note? Surely shinigami would know that already? Or is it just a rule made as a killjoy by the old man so that there aren't too many shinigami around to kill off all the humans? Or maybe he just wants shinigami to completely stay away from eachother? I mean why would shinigami have 'gender' at all if all it meant was that one was slightly more feminine than the other? Okay that last sentence didn't make much sense sweatdrop
I did actually consider what would happen if a shinigami broke that rule. But I couldn't think of much of a punishment. Which is why I wrote the first few chapters of a fanfiction for a roleplay called "A Night OF Freedom" that can be located in the roleplay forum.
It just drives me crazy thinking why that stupid rule exists! Any ideas/opinions?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm
I think that rule was put in place to erase the possibility of bad DN fanfiction pairings.

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

Fluffy Inflatable Osaka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:59 am
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-
I think that rule was put in place to erase the possibility of bad DN fanfiction pairings.

User Image

They still exist though. xd

Here's £5. Buy Osaka something pretty while out killing monstahs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:19 pm
Fluffy Inflatable Osaka
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

User Image

hell yeah. look what I found!
User Image  

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

sneaker speaker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 pm
Wow..... you had me feeling really stupifd for a while because I didn't know what you were talking about..
sweatdrop i mean, i didn't know what you were getting at..
Heheh.. I think I do now, htough..

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:31 pm
The rule was designed to make the Shinigami-based romances that much more tragic and meaningful. The pairings can still exist, but it's more dramatic since it is doomed to failure.  

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:07 am
Mobius Nightshade
The rule was designed to make the Shinigami-based romances that much more tragic and meaningful. The pairings can still exist, but it's more dramatic since it is doomed to failure.

Who says they're gonna fail? twisted
When u write a fanfiction it can often end however you want. It can be funny, romantic, anything really. That's what I like about them 3nodding
I see what you mean tho.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:07 am
I don't really care for Shinigami pairings but I do think it's ridiculous to give the Shinigami a sex and not allow them to use it. Then you shouldn't establish them as "male" or "female" but refer to them by name. However, the gender's may have been put in place to justify the Shingami's actions. Not to stereotype, but women are generally more emotional then men and this may explain Rem's willingness to die for Misa, while Ryuk could care less about anyone.  

Aya und Wolf

Inquisitor

sea-rover

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:00 pm
Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note
Fluffy Inflatable Osaka
-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

User Image

hell yeah. look what I found!
User Image

LMAO  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:58 pm
Yeah the whole gender thing could've been a way to develope thier characters through stereotype, especially considering Rem seemed to *love* Misa lol

Well, enough to die for her, anyway. Nonetheless, when i first read the series, i was, i admitt, surprised to find out Rem was a female shinigami. She didn't seem any more femanine(?) then Ryuk sweatdrop lol that's just my opinion though. . .  

Hel_LokisDaughter

7,100 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Nerd 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50

UnderworldTorrent

Questionable Investigator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:16 am
Perhaps Rem chooses to identify more with the female sex despite being technically genderless. The same could be said of Ryuk, who identifies with a male persona. In that sense they are not male or female, but allow for distinction between each.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:52 am
UnderworldTorrent
Perhaps Rem chooses to identify more with the female sex despite being technically genderless. The same could be said of Ryuk, who identifies with a male persona. In that sense they are not male or female, but allow for distinction between each.

hmm... that may be true... but if it was, like I said, why would they have rule XXXVI in the death note at all? It's like if that IS true, then the rule is just there to pointlessly point it out even though (technically) all the shinigami would know it already. And if it isn't true, then the rule shouldn't really exist because there is no reason for it to. Either way it's just there as a killjoy.  

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

-Lasciate Ogni Speranza-

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:07 pm
Not really. It eases my mind to know that the writers would be just as horrified as I if Ryuk just one day jumped Light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:15 pm
UnderworldTorrent

I agree. This is almost exactly what I said before xD  

Aya und Wolf

Inquisitor

Death Note Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas