Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think
  Yes
  No
View Results

As The Pokeball Turns

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:41 pm
I've been curious. What is ya'lls opinion on giving advice to unbelievers. What I mean is how should I or anybody for that matter give advice based on biblical principles or based on earthly principles? (I hope this is clear enough)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:16 pm
Do as Jesus did: meet the person where they are.

If my atheist friend his having a complicated problem with his parents, I'm going to give him advice from the heart, be there to listen to his troubles, and do my best to help. Quoting Bible verses isn't bad... if I say something "worry not about tomorrow" and make it apply, it's very sound advice. But he doesn't need to hear me tell him "ask Jesus for forgiveness and all will be well"!

If they'll just get annoyed with Biblical advice, then don't shove it down their throats. Just... see where they are at and do what you can to meet them at their level, you know?

Preach the Gospel at all times, when necessary, use words.  

Ablazed
Captain

As The Pokeball Turns

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:56 pm
Ablazed
Do as Jesus did: meet the person where they are.

If my atheist friend his having a complicated problem with his parents, I'm going to give him advice from the heart, be there to listen to his troubles, and do my best to help. Quoting Bible verses isn't bad... if I say something "worry not about tomorrow" and make it apply, it's very sound advice. But he doesn't need to hear me tell him "ask Jesus for forgiveness and all will be well"!

If they'll just get annoyed with Biblical advice, then don't shove it down their throats. Just... see where they are at and do what you can to meet them at their level, you know?

Preach the Gospel at all times, when necessary, use words.

I see, that's not bad at all. But I have to admit it can be quite troubling giving advice at the same timeknowing I can't push the button as far as I usually would if I was talking to a believer.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:25 pm
Seeing as I'm an atheist (and therefore not a believer), I'll tell it to ya straight: I love religion, but I do NOT like it when people weasel their religion when they are trying to give me advice. It's okay if you quote the Bible for something that is uplifting, but, as Ablazed said, if it's something like "Just go to Church and pray to Christ for forgiveness!", then, kindly, shove it.

I don't mind having conversations involving religion with my more-religious friends, but I detest when people try to force their beliefs on me. That's the quickest way to get my Why-I'm-An-Atheist rant.

b-asinine

lordstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 pm
listen to them and speak from your heart of only what your heart knows is true. With this there is no need to quote passages and if you feel the need they shouldn't know that is what you are doing  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:31 pm
lordstar
listen to them and speak from your heart of only what your heart knows is true. With this there is no need to quote passages and if you feel the need they shouldn't know that is what you are doing

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. The reason why I ask this is although I deal with non-believers and their problems on occasion I also plan on becoming a counsler/therapist. And sometimes our beliefs are different from the worlds. For example, we believe in forgiveness and giving people second chances while this world teaches us to never forgive and never forget. Revenge is the answer and whatnot.  

As The Pokeball Turns

lordstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 pm
Friendly Yoshi
lordstar

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth. The reason why I ask this is although I deal with non-believers and their problems on occasion I also plan on becoming a counsler/therapist. And sometimes our beliefs are different from the worlds. For example, we believe in forgiveness and giving people second chances while this world teaches us to never forgive and never forget. Revenge is the answer and whatnot.

a counsler?
well then
my advise to you
make sure your motives are always pure

now ask yourself
what is this crazy person talking about  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:49 pm
lordstar
Friendly Yoshi
lordstar

a counsler?
well then
my advise to you
make sure your motives are always pure

now ask yourself
what is this crazy person talking about

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks guys for ya'lls opinions.  

As The Pokeball Turns

Neferet -House of Night-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:45 pm
As a non-believer (non-believer being gramatically correct) having people preach at me about how great Jesus is and how he is God is a major turn-off. As it is for most non-believers. You have to psychologically analyze humanity as a whole. (Yeah I know that most people can't do that but you have to really think about what goes through people's heads). Humanity has an inferiority complex. We all know Jesus lived as a human. So hearing about someone being higher than them is going to make a lot of people mad. So will preaching at people. Most of us non-believers have actually read the Bible and don't need to have Bible verse preached at us. Start a convo with them without using a single Bible verse. If you have to use a Bible verse, put it in your own words so people will know what you're talking about and try to input a popular culture reference that fits with that verse. It will make it seem less confusing. (you can use psychology and sociology too for those who are very intelligent). If you are going to talk about Jesus talk about him like you would talk about a philosopher (he had his own philosophies, some of which most people should take to heart). In others talk about him like you would talk about John Lennon (he had good philosophies), Socrates, Aristole, Francis Bacon, John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, etc. You may think "Whoa! These guys are human, Jesus is God man" Again. Jesus lived as a human. It's a fact you can't forget and talking about him like a philosopher would more than likely get people to understand better and not show any animosity towards you.

Hopefully this all helps. ~__^  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:03 am
Ok since I too plan on being a counsler, I know a little about where you are coming from.

What I have come to find is the best route of action, is thinking biblically while speaking wordly.

Now what this means is regardless of who you are speaking to, you should never compromise you're moral foundations in Christ, during the entire conversation you should be thinking how would Christ respond?

Remember when Christ was on the world He didn't talk in a holy than though aren't attitude. He expressed love first and for most.

Also when He talked to people He didn't use big religious words, instead He spoke in parables that allowed the people to relate to what He was saying. He spoke wordly while thinking biblically. Every parable he told was based on a worldy matter, but had underlying Godly principles. In the same way thats how we should counsel people. Make it relatable, but make sure it isn't unbiblical.

If you have more questions fell free to pm me.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me in a pm. I would love to answer them  

EWC1989

Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff