Reply Advice
Food

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:22 am
Ok, here's something I don't understand- God doesn't seem to be the type to micro-manage, shown by global disasters, evolution, Jesus dying... point being, he seems to like people having the freedom to do anything, hence free will. There are things he doesn't WANT us doing, like killing or harming others or stealing, but they are options we can make.

But if his view is on these simple, obvious goals of being kind and not hurting people and generally being a good person, where does food come in to this? It seems like a very odd logical transition.

"Do not kill. Do not steal. Do not covet your neighbors spouse or property. Also, don't eat pork."

It just seems like a stupid rule, honestly. I'm sure it was snuck in there by the writers of the bible because in those times, they did not know how to prepare pork or shellfish, and thus it often gave them diseases. Best way to keep the people from killing themselves with it? Tell them God is against eating it.

But here is a question- Why do people actually think God cares what food you eat?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:45 pm
Well, as you said, back then if it made you sick they basically said God was against it so as to prevent people dying from diseases. Now? Its based on millenia of tradition of not eating the certain foods because when the rules were made the people believed them full heartedly. And its just continued since.
People care now because it has been so ingrained that if you eat a big or shellfish, you are automatically condemned to Hell so they keep away from it. Kosher means clean, for the most part means pure, means they go to heaven.  

Ricette

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:04 pm
But why don't they realize logically that there is no "impure" food? There is food that if prepared wrong will kill you, yes. And folks in the olden days thought it was because God didn't like that food. They also thought that lions were born dead and that lizards came from fire.

Yes, I get that they wanted to protect folks from trying to eat bad food. But that doesn't mean that eating it will make you go to hell. So why don't people now realize this?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:50 am
Well now it is a tradition based on their faith. I am very sure they realize the whole logic of there now being no "impure foods" and that they won't get sick and die if they prepare it right. But again, it is a traditional part of their faith and they feel if they go against it, it makes them unclean, impure, what have you. If they stopped eating the once "impure" animals, I am not sure they would feel their faith is the same. Its a show of trust and belief in God, they trust that He knows whats best for them so they stay kosher.  

Ricette

divineseraph

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 am
Ricette
Well now it is a tradition based on their faith. I am very sure they realize the whole logic of there now being no "impure foods" and that they won't get sick and die if they prepare it right. But again, it is a traditional part of their faith and they feel if they go against it, it makes them unclean, impure, what have you. If they stopped eating the once "impure" animals, I am not sure they would feel their faith is the same. Its a show of trust and belief in God, they trust that He knows whats best for them so they stay kosher.

I disagree with tradition. God doesn't care about tradition, or so I believe. I find his criteria to be quite vague- mainly the obvious things that flow through all religions- Don't kill, steal, harm or hate, and generally be a good person.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:43 pm
divineseraph
Ricette

I disagree with tradition. God doesn't care about tradition, or so I believe. I find his criteria to be quite vague- mainly the obvious things that flow through all religions- Don't kill, steal, harm or hate, and generally be a good person.
Oh I know, but, to them, He does care about tradition. Then again they tend to worship the more archaic version of God if I remember correctly.  

Ricette

Zora Dee

Aged Raider

2,950 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:41 pm
God tried to correct this way of thinking by saying "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean" in Acts 11:9, After he presented several types of edible animals for Peter and Peter said "Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth."

Jesus even said "Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, 'The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it' ... If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you" ... "whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" - different parts of 1 Corinthians 10

I think a lot of people just take traditions too far and too seriously.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:35 pm
Zora Darkblade
God tried to correct this way of thinking by saying "Do not call anything impure that God has made clean" in Acts 11:9, After he presented several types of edible animals for Peter and Peter said "Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth."

Jesus even said "Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, 'The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it' ... If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you" ... "whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" - different parts of 1 Corinthians 10

I think a lot of people just take traditions too far and too seriously.

Also, Jesus was the New Covenant. He was there to change things because of how distorted they had become. Also, in the times of the wandering chosen, they continuously fell and made idols and sacrificed food to them. Pig and cow were main animals of sacrifice. Also, they happened to carry diseases more often than lamb. And they could kill you. so could shellfish is not cooked properly. They did not know of sanitization then, they had no concept of germs.

On things like this, make sure you check with the New Testament and what Jesus said, THEN look at the Old Testament.

Oh yeah, it was not "snuck" in there... Moses wrote it because God said to.  

SloanSage

Advice

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff