Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Here's a poll.
  = 3=
  o 3o
View Results

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:00 pm
Since people out there have been wondering about this, here's a screenshot from the last episode:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
(Click for larger view)

So, what exactly is "MU"?

It's basically "nothingness". Here's what I found in google:

Quote:
The character "MU" can be translated as "has not", "is without", "without", "lack of", "absence".
(source)

Quote:
When discussing Zen Buddhism, one often encounters the character for emptiness, mu, in expressions such as "no self," "no ego," "no holiness," and "no permanence."
(source)

So there is a possibility that this "Mu" mentioned belongs to buddhism (not 100% sure tough, it's just a possibility).

So what's my point here? None, really. Just wanted to share this lil piece of information. And this little discovery (that Mu belongs to budhism, not that DN users disapear after they die) made me think about that there are probably more religious implications (besides the obviously christian one) hidden somewhere in this anime - and we probably don't notice them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:34 pm
*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

lol I saw that and I was readinfg it like "M" "U" as individual letters. Now I Realize its "Mu" Japanese Pronunciation.
Because DN users cant go to Heaven nor Hell I kinda figured it be something along the lines of "Nothingness"
Basically I think their "soul" just ceases to exist, like when a Shinigmi "dies" so they CANT go to Heaven or Hell.
Just my opinion tho ^_^ Glad some1 also kinda realizes this and shares xd  

Amon Abaddon

Lonely Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Nova Novice 100
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

IceStormWolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:22 pm
That sounds about right, since at the beginning of DN the rules (or w/e it was) said that the user can neither go to hell nor heaven for eternity, to be honest I thought that when the DN user died they became a shinigami?!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:08 pm
I remember, I think it was in the manga, it was said that Mu is "nothingness." But, I wonder if it's being in nothingness for eternity, or if it means that there is just nothing after death?  

starlight aquatic

Gekko

The Illusive Fish

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:50 am
this is what i think in the 2 hour special i think the shinigami talking to ryuk was light i mean take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fPN_gp1oM  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:07 pm
Fishstyx360
this is what i think in the 2 hour special i think the shinigami talking to ryuk was light i mean take a look at this video

]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fPN_gp1oM

agreed.

Possible spoiler-

I'm pretty sure Ryuk considered the death god realm as "nothingness" since there was nothing of interest there, hence his boredom until he decided to have fun in the human world. I'm pretty sure that when a death note user dies, they end up as a death god without memories. I wonder about how Rem and Ryuk were like when they were humans >.>.  

valkyr

ToXiKdInOsAuR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:11 pm
Like it says Mu is nothingness there is nothing more to it than that... neutral Is it really that hard to grasp the concept that something once dead is just gone forever? neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 pm
The rules, Ryuk, and Death note 13 say they can cannot go to heaven nor to hell...  

Lady Pureblood

Mileena Chardonnay

Dangerous Sex Symbol

8,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:16 am
I say there is two possibilities.

The first, as aforementioned, is that they become Shinigami.

The second, which may be considered as being seen in the What's Up People? montage, is that they end up in the realm of the Shinigami as a human soul, to be consumed by the Shinigami of the Note upon return. Light was in the Shinigami world in that montage, so it is a possible spoiler, and I'm pretty sure that Shinigami don't just sit there and let the life force flow into them...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Yes, Ryuk clearly states that there is no Heaven or Hell for deathnote users. They simply enter nothingness, as all humans. And although this information is wonderful, I was very dissapointed when I read DN 13 to find that the writer, Tsugumi Ohba, never intended for Death Note to produce such indepth debates about philosophical and moral issues. Nor did she mean to put such emphasis on little details. She says that the book was purely meant for entertainment. And just when I thought there was some great underlying message crying  

Aya und Wolf

Inquisitor

Psychadelic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:31 am
Aya_Teien
Yes, Ryuk clearly states that there is no Heaven or Hell for deathnote users. They simply enter nothingness, as all humans. And although this information is wonderful, I was very dissapointed when I read DN 13 to find that the writer, Tsugumi Ohba, never intended for Death Note to produce such indepth debates about philosophical and moral issues. Nor did she mean to put such emphasis on little details. She says that the book was purely meant for entertainment. And just when I thought there was some great underlying message crying

LOL O.O Are you serious? Now that's dissapointing Oo'
Well, I mean, the latest DN stuff (the new chapter, tv special) do seem to follow that path, but I've always tought the TV series (at least the first half) were supposed to make you think.

Well, they do make you think if you are that kind of person that likes thinking.
I mean, DN originated sites like this -> http://deathnotes.kefi.org
I say it can be tought provoking in its own way <.< Not exactly deep, but makes you wonder about the sort of world you live in, amongst other things.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:11 pm
Psychadelic
LOL O.O Are you serious? Now that's dissapointing Oo'
Well, I mean, the latest DN stuff (the new chapter, tv special) do seem to follow that path, but I've always tought the TV series (at least the first half) were supposed to make you think.

Well, they do make you think if you are that kind of person that likes thinking.
I mean, DN originated sites like this -> http://deathnotes.kefi.org
I say it can be tought provoking in its own way <.< Not exactly deep, but makes you wonder about the sort of world you live in, amongst other things.

It is very disappointing. But, that hasn't stopped we loyal Death Note fans from thinking in a deeper level on the series' moral statements about the world. I personally think that plot was amazingly constructed, and if anything has allowed the rest of us to, as you said, really think about the world we live in =)  

Aya und Wolf

Inquisitor

emiri_06

Quotable Werewolf

5,625 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:49 pm
is it possible that when his soul (or what he had left of it) ended up in pergatory?

I never really wondered about where Light went after his death. I was just wondering what all the religious looking imaging at the end of volume 12 was supposed to mean.  
Death Note Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games