Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
BAN the Golden Compass. A CALL TO GODS PEOPLE!! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

View Results

But Be Respectful

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 pm
While I do believe that *possibly, i haven't read it but people I know have* later in the series the books do bash religion, I don't think that the first one is that bad. But of course, that's probably the point. Get the kids hooked on the series and then throw in the religion bashing stuff.

However, should we ban the series? No, I don't think so. In fact, I believe that Christian parents should expose their kids to stuff like this so they can walk them through the Christian beliefs on the subject. That way, the kids aren't facing it alone when they encounter it in the real world and have a better foundation of their beliefs.

Not to mention the fact that we have freedom of speech in this country, regardless of one's beliefs. *And that means that Atheists can't tell Christians that they're wrong any more than Christians can't tell Atheists that they're wrong*  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:34 pm
Attempting to ban a movie is a silly idea.

A movie is an investment. Anyone who invests in anything only does so to gain a positive result. Mainly money.

On "The Golden Compass". I don't know if it's bad, but I think people should be able to decide wether or not they should watch it rather than get told that they're not allowed.  

Mike Oxlittle

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:25 am
Yes, let's ban something because it expresses view different from our own! Hurray fascism!

rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:01 pm
I think trying to ban The Golden Compass is just as silly as boycotting Disney because they have a gay day at Disneyland (is that even true? I just heard it a few years ago, but never looked into it). It's not going to change anything, really.

I mean, it's a parent's job to supervise their children's reading (I don't watch movies if they're obviously made from a book). For me, I'm going to read the dang books (I have the first one, but haven't gotten around to reading it), and then whenever I have children, I'll let them read it as long as they know what the author's intentions were in writing it (I read somewhere that he actually said in an interview that he wrote it to undermine Christianity ... not sure if that's true, though).

Mountain Rose

Mountain Rose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:14 pm
Hmm ... this is where the article used to be, but apparently, they didn't want it read anymore. stare "The Last Word"? from the Washington Post

Here's another one on the subject, though: "'Golden Compass' Author Denies Promoting Atheism in Books" from The Christian Post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:15 am
Mountain Rose
I think trying to ban The Golden Compass is just as silly as boycotting Disney because they have a gay day at Disneyland (is that even true? I just heard it a few years ago, but never looked into it). It's not going to change anything, really.
I heard that as well.

Silly me, thinking that every day was Gay Day at Disney Land. rolleyes  

SinfulGuillotine

Perfect Trash

brad175

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:44 pm
divineseraph
Well, God has kinda been a d**k in the past... There was that flood...You know, to wipe out the b*****d children of angels and humans? Because we all know that they DECIDED to be born as half mortal and half immortal...

Why would you call God a d**k? Creation is here for him. He can do what he wants and his standards are the highest and the only ones that matters. Therefore, really whatever he does is justified. Thank God he decided to love us.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:29 pm
let them say what they want about us... we know better
when you know the truth why argue about it...
Its our responsibility as christians to be higher then thoughs who would resort to such low tactics
and a complete ban on the books who do nothing but put us in the wrong when we already know we are write.
let the atheists toil in there hate of us...they will se the truth in the end...i just pray that they will wake up before it is to late...  

yashua_freak

Ricette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:46 pm
brad175
divineseraph
Well, God has kinda been a d**k in the past... There was that flood...You know, to wipe out the b*****d children of angels and humans? Because we all know that they DECIDED to be born as half mortal and half immortal...

Why would you call God a d**k? Creation is here for him. He can do what he wants and his standards are the highest and the only ones that matters. Therefore, really whatever he does is justified. Thank God he decided to love us.
While true that his will is law, or however you see it, its still showing him to basically be a kid with an ant farm. He can smite us if he so chooses even i he loves us. You ever notice how many murders are committed by a love one? And well I suppose its good thing that he supposedly loves us, he an still be a d**k. You can love a parent but still think they are a d**k for doing certain things, reacting in certain ways.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:31 am
nobody understood what the film was about until somebody told them..
i think people just saw it because its a"OOO!!! polar bears in armour!! nicole kidman!!! little creatures talking! i love fantasy im gonna watch it!!" kinda of film and they didnt understand.  

No place like 127 0 0 1

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:51 am
No place like 127 0 0 1
nobody understood what the film was about until somebody told them..
i think people just saw it because its a"OOO!!! polar bears in armour!! nicole kidman!!! little creatures talking! i love fantasy im gonna watch it!!" kinda of film and they didnt understand.
Or maybe it's because they don't care and just know that boycotting something is only going to help it not hurt it. By boycotting something you are making the public curious about it. And what happens when you make the public curious, they want to see it for themselves. So yeah. Just by boycotting it, you're making "the problem" worse. If you don't like the movie, okay, dun watch it. Simple as that. biggrin  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff