Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Herbalism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm
thanks for the info everyone

one of the really popular fluffies on youtube says she was working on a degree to become a "master herbalist" so i was curious as to how she was going about that process. i guess i could just shoot her an email.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:27 pm
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

Whats wildcraft?
I shall not indulge you until you make amends.

Quote:
Can you rekomned something?
Please put in the minimum effort to make your posts easy to understand by correcting common spelling errors. I recommend using a browser that has a spell check function. It helps me. I recommend Mozilla.

If you are going to act like that I shell just ask someone else.
I would use corrcet spelling if I could spell but having STAM makes that hard even with Mozilla.
There's nothing requiring Tea to help you. If you want to ask someone else, go ahead, noone's going to stop you. I mean, she's not asking much of you at all. So.. good luck finding someone else.

And I'm sorry, but I'm using Firefox. I can see the spelling errors even from quoting you. It's not very difficult at all. You just go over to the word with the red squiggly underline, right click, and click the correct spelling, or what you think would be the correct spelling. If that's too hard for you, I'm surprised you're even able to use a computer.  

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

redtearsblackwings

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:44 am
kage no neko
redtearsblackwings
TeaDidikai
redtearsblackwings

Whats wildcraft?
I shall not indulge you until you make amends.

Quote:
Can you rekomned something?
Please put in the minimum effort to make your posts easy to understand by correcting common spelling errors. I recommend using a browser that has a spell check function. It helps me. I recommend Mozilla.

I would use corrcet spelling if I could spell but having STAM makes that hard even with Mozilla.
There's nothing requiring Tea to help you. If you want to ask someone else, go ahead, noone's going to stop you. I mean, she's not asking much of you at all. So.. good luck finding someone else.

And I'm sorry, but I'm using Firefox. I can see the spelling errors even from quoting you. It's not very difficult at all. You just go over to the word with the red squiggly underline, right click, and click the correct spelling, or what you think would be the correct spelling. If that's too hard for you, I'm surprised you're even able to use a computer.

There is no need to be nasty, I staded what is wrong and why it is wrong. I do know how to use a spell checker. I write quite frequnely on Word.
But since you people have made it clear that you will not help me I'll have to ask other people on another forum.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:36 am
redtearsblackwings

I see. Well, I had hoped you would act in an ethical way.

Quote:
Mozilla has a built in spellcheck.

It will highlight the incorrect spelling with a red underline.  

TeaDidikai

Opalescent_violet_14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:20 am
redtears, you are being pretty difficult in my mind. I think you should respect the people in here, as they are much more experieced that you or me, and they're just trying to help. I'm 14. I don't have a shoebox flat, because I still live at my house. 3nodding But I still grow herbs. Most of the windows we have are north or south facing. I found an herb growing set at the dollar store. It had a long metal planter with handles, the soil, and seeds for parsley, sweet basil, and chives. They had other ones with fragrant herbs like lavender, thyme (i think), and mint. The set only cost 6 dollars. You do need a spell checker and a better attitude. If you want herbs, start being creative and put some time into them, instead of using your time to criticize and argue.

Now, to TeaDidikai, kage no neko, Collowrath, and any others, I'm interested in becoming an herbalist. I really didn't know that you could degrees in it, but I can take a Botany and Agronomy class next school year. I was wondering what I can really do to get started. I know I should get some good books. It seems pretty much everything on here starts with reading. Thats fine with me, I was just looking for suggestions or links. 3nodding And another question, should I start growing herbs inside and then transplant them in the spring (except for mint, most likely), or should I wait til spring for other herbs, and just keep growing my parsley, sweet basil, and chives?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am
a n n i v i
I really didn't know that you could degrees in it, but I can take a Botany and Agronomy class next school year. I was wondering what I can really do to get started.
Sounds like you've already found an amazing state sponsored starting point!
Quote:

I know I should get some good books. It seems pretty much everything on here starts with reading. Thats fine with me, I was just looking for suggestions or links. 3nodding
Kinda depends on how deep you want to go into Herbalism.

For example, there is what I am left thinking of as "Shallow Herbalism". Someone somewhere at some point in time decided they liked the way a certain plant-product smelled and it reminded them of something else. They constructed a correspondence chart, and bang: they have an herbal system. Some of these systems have been perpetuated thoughtlessly. This has happened with other things too- like gemstones for example.

Beyond that you get into "Folk Herbalism"- someone's great grandma did such and such (possibly for similar reasons as stated above, or perhaps because there was some unknown medicinal/psychological value to it) and it has continued that way since.

The next step up from that is more "Medicinal Herbalism"- a fraction of a collection of larger healing traditions that include various cultural practices and region specific plants and mythology combined with methodology that produce results.

The final class would be something akin to "Scientific Herbalism" wherein the experiments have yielded chemical compounds from plant sources that produce specific effects. These effects can be replicated, species can be painstakingly cultivated to produce different potency which are tested and categorized etc.

Note: These are not official titles. These are nothing but my personal observation largely from my time working at a metaphysical shop and my participation in High school and University level botany and horticultural programs etc.

The question I would pose is where do you feel comfortable and where do you want to end up on this spectrum?

Quote:
And another question, should I start growing herbs inside and then transplant them in the spring (except for mint, most likely), or should I wait til spring for other herbs, and just keep growing my parsley, sweet basil, and chives?
Not enough information for me to make a call on it. Soil type, climate and the like are factors I would use to make such a call.  

TeaDidikai

Opalescent_violet_14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:51 pm
TeaDidikai
a n n i v i
I really didn't know that you could degrees in it, but I can take a Botany and Agronomy class next school year. I was wondering what I can really do to get started.
Sounds like you've already found an amazing state sponsored starting point!
Quote:

I know I should get some good books. It seems pretty much everything on here starts with reading. Thats fine with me, I was just looking for suggestions or links. 3nodding
Kinda depends on how deep you want to go into Herbalism.

For example, there is what I am left thinking of as "Shallow Herbalism". Someone somewhere at some point in time decided they liked the way a certain plant-product smelled and it reminded them of something else. They constructed a correspondence chart, and bang: they have an herbal system. Some of these systems have been perpetuated thoughtlessly. This has happened with other things too- like gemstones for example.

Beyond that you get into "Folk Herbalism"- someone's great grandma did such and such (possibly for similar reasons as stated above, or perhaps because there was some unknown medicinal/psychological value to it) and it has continued that way since.

The next step up from that is more "Medicinal Herbalism"- a fraction of a collection of larger healing traditions that include various cultural practices and region specific plants and mythology combined with methodology that produce results.

The final class would be something akin to "Scientific Herbalism" wherein the experiments have yielded chemical compounds from plant sources that produce specific effects. These effects can be replicated, species can be painstakingly cultivated to produce different potency which are tested and categorized etc.

Note: These are not official titles. These are nothing but my personal observation largely from my time working at a metaphysical shop and my participation in High school and University level botany and horticultural programs etc.

The question I would pose is where do you feel comfortable and where do you want to end up on this spectrum?

Quote:
And another question, should I start growing herbs inside and then transplant them in the spring (except for mint, most likely), or should I wait til spring for other herbs, and just keep growing my parsley, sweet basil, and chives?
Not enough information for me to make a call on it. Soil type, climate and the like are factors I would use to make such a call.

I would like to know enough to be able to suggest a remedy for an ailment. For example, if someone had a sore throat or something, I would know what sort of herbs or tea (should I use the Tea Forum?) someone should use. This is just a guess of some sort. I'm not sure if there really is something like this, but that's sort of what I mean. I would like to be generally knowledgeable about plants and herbs. I would like to know their properties and uses. I'm planning on making an herb garden indoors for now. Should I bother transplanting them in the spring and fall or should I just leave them inside? I live in central New York. We have pretty rocky soil, and it's very claylike. That's most of the information I have. Ask any more questions. I'll be happy to answer. ^-^  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:26 pm
a n n i v i
I would like to know enough to be able to suggest a remedy for an ailment. For example, if someone had a sore throat or something, I would know what sort of herbs or tea (should I use the Tea Forum?) someone should use.
I know it's not as thrilling as herbs or special tea, but I find salt water gargling works wonders for that kind of problem. 3nodding  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

whiporwill-o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 pm
Byaggha
a n n i v i
I would like to know enough to be able to suggest a remedy for an ailment. For example, if someone had a sore throat or something, I would know what sort of herbs or tea (should I use the Tea Forum?) someone should use.
I know it's not as thrilling as herbs or special tea, but I find salt water gargling works wonders for that kind of problem. 3nodding

agreed biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:01 pm
Byaggha
a n n i v i

I prefer honeyed tea. I'm not sure if it actually has any healing properties but it makes me feel better to drink something so nummy. xD  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:50 pm
a n n i v i
I would like to know enough to be able to suggest a remedy for an ailment.
My ethics dictate that I recommend that you study for a degree in medicinal herbalism then. Here's the thing- a lot of the resources have errors in them that can get people killed. Others are better, but if you are looking to heal people, you should carry the responsibility of a Healer.

Part of the reason we have standards in this country when it comes to medicine is to protect patients. People who think it will be cool to look at someone and say "Oh sure- brew these herbs up and you'll be just fine", lack the ethical and moral fortitude to take on the serious responsibility that is another person's well being.

Let's look at your example:
Quote:
For example, if someone had a sore throat or something, I would know what sort of herbs or tea (should I use the Tea Forum?) someone should use.

My family has a set of protocols for this. It's something most of my family does every. You will never see me suggest it for a stranger. I don't know what their allergies are. I haven't looked at their throat or taken a detailed history. If my cousin calls me and asks which herbs Baba used- I'll tell him because he's having a lapse of memory, not seeking me out as a medical professional.
Quote:

This is just a guess of some sort. I'm not sure if there really is something like this, but that's sort of what I mean.
Over the ages, there have been lots of things recommended for this. Some of which are deadly poisonous.

Quote:

I would like to be generally knowledgeable about plants and herbs. I would like to know their properties and uses.
What kind of properties? Chemical? Psychological?

Quote:
I'm planning on making an herb garden indoors for now. Should I bother transplanting them in the spring and fall or should I just leave them inside? I live in central New York. We have pretty rocky soil, and it's very claylike. That's most of the information I have. Ask any more questions. I'll be happy to answer. ^-^
What is the PH of the soil?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:51 pm
Aino Ailill

I prefer honeyed tea. I'm not sure if it actually has any healing properties but it makes me feel better to drink something so nummy. xD
Debatable. There are elements of it that, depending on the person and the kind of sore throat, may yield benefits. Alternatively, there are some people that can be very hazardous for.

To say nothing of the fact that I don't know the kind of honey or tea being used.

I suppose all this is just a perfect demonstration of how a**l retentive I can be.  

TeaDidikai

Opalescent_violet_14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 pm
TeaDidikai
a n n i v i
I would like to know enough to be able to suggest a remedy for an ailment.
My ethics dictate that I recommend that you study for a degree in medicinal herbalism then. Here's the thing- a lot of the resources have errors in them that can get people killed. Others are better, but if you are looking to heal people, you should carry the responsibility of a Healer.

Part of the reason we have standards in this country when it comes to medicine is to protect patients. People who think it will be cool to look at someone and say "Oh sure- brew these herbs up and you'll be just fine", lack the ethical and moral fortitude to take on the serious responsibility that is another person's well being.

I actually was leaning towards using the term Healer, but I wasn't sure if that was right. I think that's what I meant. 3nodding I understand the thing about those standards, too. ^^

Let's look at your example:
Quote:
For example, if someone had a sore throat or something, I would know what sort of herbs or tea (should I use the Tea Forum?) someone should use.

My family has a set of protocols for this. It's something most of my family does every. You will never see me suggest it for a stranger. I don't know what their allergies are. I haven't looked at their throat or taken a detailed history. If my cousin calls me and asks which herbs Baba used- I'll tell him because he's having a lapse of memory, not seeking me out as a medical professional.

Edit: I didn't exactly mean just a sore throat. I was just coming up with a rather common ailment. I do understand that; I would never want to be responsible for someone getting hurt. 0.o
Quote:
This is just a guess of some sort. I'm not sure if there really is something like this, but that's sort of what I mean.
Over the ages, there have been lots of things recommended for this. Some of which are deadly poisonous.

Quote:

I would like to be generally knowledgeable about plants and herbs. I would like to know their properties and uses.
What kind of properties? Chemical? Psychological?

I would like to know their psychological properties, I guess. For example, I know that lavender is very calming, while mint "energizes you".

Quote:
I'm planning on making an herb garden indoors for now. Should I bother transplanting them in the spring and fall or should I just leave them inside? I live in central New York. We have pretty rocky soil, and it's very claylike. That's most of the information I have. Ask any more questions. I'll be happy to answer. ^-^
What is the PH of the soil?

I have absolutely NO idea what the pH of the soil is. I'll try to find out, though.

P.S. Sorry this quote tower is off. I'm still learning how to make it look right. ^-^

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:04 pm
a n n i v i
I actually was leaning towards using the term Healer, but I wasn't sure if that was right. I think that's what I meant. 3nodding I understand the thing about those standards, too. ^^
If you want Shallow Herbalism, I wouldn't suggest that Healer would be the correct word myself.

Quote:
I didn't exactly mean just a sore throat. I was just coming up with a rather common ailment. I do understand that; I would never want to be responsible for someone getting hurt. 0.o
Part of what I am doing is trying to illustrate flaws in the approach. A "common ailment" has a number of possible causes. Is it strep? Is it the common cold? Flu? Did they strain their throat? Were they exposed to harsh chemicals?

I know for a fact that most people with access to quality medical treatment don't treat Strep the same as the common cold. They're different critters. The symptoms may be similar, but part of the difference between being a Healer and being someone who is using Shallow Herbalism relies on being able to identify the cause and appropriate course of treatment for the disease, rather than merely masking the symptoms.

Quote:
I would like to know their psychological properties, I guess. For example, I know that lavender is very calming, while mint "energizes you".
Why ask someone else? Make up your own.

Just as an FYI, I find lavender (all forms apparently) completely agitating, not calming. Mint for me depends. I mean, Hells Bells- some of it's highly poisonous!

Quote:
I have absolutely NO idea what the pH of the soil is. I'll try to find out, though.

P.S. Sorry this quote tower is off. I'm still learning how to make it look right. ^-^
Sounds good.

As for quote function it looks like this:
[quotex] and end [/quotex]only without the x. To quote with someone's name use [quote="Username"x] and [/quotex] with the body of text between the initial quote and the quote with the /.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces