Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

We learned to change
  but did we change to learn?
View Results

chunkymonkey3991

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:41 pm
promised_child
simply. you dress up for the boss on a job interview, if the pres. of the usa was stopping by for tea would you wear a ratty t shirt and crappy jeans? no. show the same respect to the lord when you enter his house.
Acually, when I am old enough to get a job, I am not going to dress up for the boss, because I would then be expected to do that everyday. And if the president came to my house for tea, I'd walk over to him in my ripped jeans and t-shirt and say "Here have a Mt.Dew." We are always in the presence of the Lord so if you want to be dressed up for him you would have to be that way 24/7. If a poor man comes to the church and doesn't have fancy clothes, so what? The Lord, I'm sure, is not going to say "Oh look at you, your filthy, thats disrespectful, get out." Modesty is a good policy, and that is what we should go by. Other than that the Lord doesn't expect everyone dresses up fancy. In fact this creates a more tense environment at the church I believe. Our pastor, a couple of years ago, requested that the men to not wear a tie because he didn't want guests that came in to feel under-dressed. There's nothing wrong with getting all fancy for church, but there's also nothing wrong with wearing what your comfortable in, if it's modest of coarse.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:42 pm
actually, i dont really dress up. i wear my best jeans and ncest shirts. that was a paraphrased quote from my pastor. my best cloaths and my worst look very much the same.  

promised_child

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:17 pm
promised_child
PoppyDadswell
zz1000zz
PoppyDadswell
I belong to a very strict religious group.Men are not allowed long hair and women are not allowed short hair.Women are to dresss modestly and with no make up,trousers or jewerally and no one is allowed to dye theur hair,wear hats in church,have tattoos or pierceings.This is all mentioned in the new testament.On sundays we dress very soberly,but even in day to day wear we still look apart from most people.People who wear jeans to church and scruffy clothes on a sunday have no respect for God.

In the Old Testament many men refused to cut their hair to show their devotion to god. How do you justify refusing to allow men to have long hair?

More importantly, how dare you accuse other people of not respecting god? Where do you get off proclaiming your superiority to anyone? You are a real jerk, and you use god to justify it. I hope you are happy.

in the old testament the male jews anyway kept their hair short and the women kept their hair long.a unisex style would have been consistered an abdomination.in fact God has a specfic measurements for the length of mens' hair and the priest had to cut their hair at least once every 30 days. men didnt cut their hair during a mourning period but after the mourning was finished they cut their hair.john the baptist had long hair but he was unique and probably considered an odditiy.i do not justify men having long hair-the bible justifys this and who am i to argue?plus i actually like men with long hair... smile i dont proclaim my "superiority" because i dont feel superior at all.i am a sinner so how could i think i am superior?we are all equal in the eyes of the Lord and no one but god is superior.however i am not a jerk;these are my beliefs,i merely stated my beliefs in this debate.i dont attack other churches whom i see as wrong in their ways and teachings,like say the catholic church down the road from with the sign outside saying '500,000 euros raised only another 500,000 to go', because i see also the positives in other churches too,so why are you attacking me?all i am saying is that this is how i dress and how people dress if they attend my church.i not saying that everyone must dress like me.

What about Samson. He had long hair. all of the Nazarines did. they vowed not to cut it to show their devotion to God.

Shalom all

Samson got specfic permission from God to have long hair.this alone proves that long hair was not the norm.some where in i think ezekiel is about the specfic haircuts for the priests to uphold the idea of short hair to the laymen.also the nazarines cut their hair once they returned from the wilderness.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:28 pm
"they must not shave their heads or let their hair grow long, but they are to keep their of their heads trimmed"Ezekiel 44:20  

PoppyDadswell

Metanoeo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:32 pm
PoppyDadswell
"they must not shave their heads or let their hair grow long, but they are to keep their of their heads trimmed"Ezekiel 44:20

CONTEXT is key!

Ezekiel 44:15-27
15 But the Levitical priests, the sons of Zadok, who kept the charge of my sanctuary when the people of Israel went astray from me, shall come near to me to minister to me. And they shall stand before me to offer me the fat and the blood, declares the Lord God. 16 They shall enter my sanctuary, and they shall approach my table, to minister to me, and they shall keep my charge. 17 When they enter the gates of the inner court, they shall wear linen garments. They shall have nothing of wool on them, while they minister at the gates of the inner court, and within. 18 They shall have linen turbans on their heads, and linen undergarments around their waists. They shall not bind themselves with anything that causes sweat. 19 And when they go out into the outer court to the people, they shall put off the garments in which they have been ministering and lay them in the holy chambers. And they shall put on other garments, lest they transmit holiness to the people with their garments. 20 They shall not shave their heads or let their locks grow long; they shall surely trim the hair of their heads. 21 No priest shall drink wine when he enters the inner court. 22 They shall not marry a widow or a divorced woman, but only virgins of the offspring of the house of Israel, or a widow who is the widow of a priest. 23 They shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean. 24 In a dispute, they shall act as judges, and they shall judge it according to my judgments. They shall keep my laws and my statutes in all my appointed feasts, and they shall keep my Sabbaths holy. 25 They shall not defile themselves by going near to a dead person. However, for father or mother, for son or daughter, for brother or unmarried sister they may defile themselves. 26 After he has become clean, they shall count seven days for him. 27 And on the day that he goes into the Holy Place, into the inner court, to minister in the Holy Place, he shall offer his sin offering, declares the Lord God.

Who is "they"? Ezekiel 44:20 only applies to the Levitical priests.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:49 pm
Reformed Baptist
PoppyDadswell

CONTEXT is key!

15 But the Levitical priests, the sons of Zadok, who kept the charge of my sanctuary when the people of Israel went astray from me, shall come near to me to minister to me. And they shall stand before me to offer me the fat and the blood, declares the Lord God. 16 They shall enter my sanctuary, and they shall approach my table, to minister to me, and they shall keep my charge. 17 When they enter the gates of the inner court, they shall wear linen garments. They shall have nothing of wool on them, while they minister at the gates of the inner court, and within. 18 They shall have linen turbans on their heads, and linen undergarments around their waists. They shall not bind themselves with anything that causes sweat. 19 And when they go out into the outer court to the people, they shall put off the garments in which they have been ministering and lay them in the holy chambers. And they shall put on other garments, lest they transmit holiness to the people with their garments. 20 They shall not shave their heads or let their locks grow long; they shall surely trim the hair of their heads. 21 No priest shall drink wine when he enters the inner court. 22 They shall not marry a widow or a divorced woman, but only virgins of the offspring of the house of Israel, or a widow who is the widow of a priest. 23 They shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and show them how to distinguish between the unclean and the clean. 24 In a dispute, they shall act as judges, and they shall judge it according to my judgments. They shall keep my laws and my statutes in all my appointed feasts, and they shall keep my Sabbaths holy. 25 They shall not defile themselves by going near to a dead person. However, for father or mother, for son or daughter, for brother or unmarried sister they may defile themselves. 26 After he has become clean, they shall count seven days for him. 27 And on the day that he goes into the Holy Place, into the inner court, to minister in the Holy Place, he shall offer his sin offering, declares the Lord God.

And for once, I agree.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

promised_child

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:30 pm
i dont think the Lord cares about how you wear your hair. when paul is talking about heads, he says nothing about hair STYLE. styles change.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:02 pm
My religion isnt exactly strict when it comes to dressing. I think that outside of church,you should be able to dress however you want. To me,dressing for comfort is the best. 3nodding When going to church,even if you dont wear skirts or dresses, dressing elegantly or properly would be appropriate. 3nodding  

~Guardian of Roses~

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:09 pm
TheBrokenButterfly
promised_child
simply. you dress up for the boss on a job interview, if the pres. of the usa was stopping by for tea would you wear a ratty t shirt and crappy jeans? no. show the same respect to the lord when you enter his house.
Acually, when I am old enough to get a job, I am not going to dress up for the boss, because I would then be expected to do that everyday. And if the president came to my house for tea, I'd walk over to him in my ripped jeans and t-shirt and say "Here have a Mt.Dew." We are always in the presence of the Lord so if you want to be dressed up for him you would have to be that way 24/7. If a poor man comes to the church and doesn't have fancy clothes, so what? The Lord, I'm sure, is not going to say "Oh look at you, your filthy, thats disrespectful, get out." Modesty is a good policy, and that is what we should go by. Other than that the Lord doesn't expect everyone dresses up fancy. In fact this creates a more tense environment at the church I believe. Our pastor, a couple of years ago, requested that the men to not wear a tie because he didn't want guests that came in to feel under-dressed. There's nothing wrong with getting all fancy for church, but there's also nothing wrong with wearing what your comfortable in, if it's modest of coarse.

i agree with you not dressing up for the president but dressing up for God is essential.The president isnt worthy,hes only a man created God.interestingly enough i have beachy amish friends who always dress for God but they dont dress up but dress modestly for God.so in church they are wearing the same clothes as they wear anywear else,just newer and cleaner, because God is always around anytime.however you have alot to learn about real life because very few people,except in low paid,menial ones,would employ someone to work for them and their image if that person hasnt been bothered to dress approiately.a sloppy looking person at an office,in a shop,running a business imply that they are sloppy and careless in their work to potential customers.i know this from experience.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:11 pm
promised_child
i dont think the Lord cares about how you wear your hair. when paul is talking about heads, he says nothing about hair STYLE. styles change.

but the bible doesnt change.why follow style and not the bible?if God didnt care,how we wear our hair how its repeated constantly in the New Testament?  

PoppyDadswell

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:13 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
Reformed Baptist
PoppyDadswell

CONTEXT is key!

And for once, I agree.

yes this refers to the priests who were there to set the example for the others.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:30 pm
PoppyDadswell
TheBrokenButterfly
promised_child

i agree with you not dressing up for the president but dressing up for God is essential.The president isnt worthy,hes only a man created God.interestingly enough i have beachy amish friends who always dress for God but they dont dress up but dress modestly for God.so in church they are wearing the same clothes as they wear anywear else,just newer and cleaner, because God is always around anytime.however you have alot to learn about real life because very few people,except in low paid,menial ones,would employ someone to work for them and their image if that person hasnt been bothered to dress approiately.a sloppy looking person at an office,in a shop,running a business imply that they are sloppy and careless in their work to potential customers.i know this from experience.

yes the president is a man, but he is the commander in chief of these United States of America, and in such office, he deserves the same respect as the other rulers of nations. I have never seen anyone dress badly before the Queen of England. God has place him there, so we owe the man we elected respect. he ist worthy of praise however he does merit respect.  

promised_child

promised_child

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:32 pm
PoppyDadswell
promised_child

but the bible doesnt change.why follow style and not the bible?if God didnt care,how we wear our hair how its repeated constantly in the New Testament?

where? verses please.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:44 pm
promised_child
PoppyDadswell
TheBrokenButterfly
promised_child

yes the president is a man, but he is the commander in chief of these United States of America, and in such office, he deserves the same respect as the other rulers of nations. I have never seen anyone dress badly before the Queen of England. God has place him there, so we owe the man we elected respect. he ist worthy of praise however he does merit respect.

i am irish and i am christian.ireland was once invaded by the english and exploited by england for centuries therefore irish people do not like the english.there was some discussion as to whether we would let elizabeth windsor come to ireland recently but most people said no so she will not be allowed to come to ireland.ihowever we did premit her husband visit us a few months ago.irish people think its ridulous that the english are so fantic about royalty.talk about a false idol!also irish people are disgused with america's recent behaviour and george bush is a very hated man and not welcome in ireland.his behaviour is not worthy of praise.whenever he has come there has been protests and riots.neither of these people measure up to the might of God.plus as a christian i believe all are equal in the eyes of God-therefore as an irish person and a christian i believe that a queen or president are not allowed such respect as they are no more higher than anyone else.i do believe however,elizabeth windsor met the spice girls and they certainly dressed badly.that awful plastic dress with the british flag on it worn by geri halliwell that showed her underwear was vile.  

PoppyDadswell

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:06 pm
promised_child
PoppyDadswell
promised_child

where? verses please.

"In a like manner also,that women adorn themselves with modest apparel with shamefacedness and sobriety;not with broided hair ore gold or pearls or costly array"1 timothy 2:9
"whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair,and wearing of gold,or of putting on apparel"1 peter 3:3

these are some verses i mentioned earlier in this thread.you should have read the other posts in this thread too.  
*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff