Submit

We made magic
And we didn't even try.
100%
 100%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 18

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 am
You're making an argument from potential- It's also true that, statistically, those born to poor families (which are, statistically speaking, african american) will deal with more stress and trauma than someone born in a better financial situation.

Does this mean they should be put through a "Neutral Escape" by our hands? I mean, it's only responsible of us to keep them from suffering more. If death is neutral, then why not have eugenics against African Americans, and the poor in general, in order to neutrally keep them from suffering?

I hope you can tell that I'm being facetious here. The point is, you can't EVER call killing someone against their will a service to them, or thinking in their best interest. Abortion is in no way a service to the fetus and your argument from potential leads to the same line of thought as general eugenics.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:41 pm
Christianity is nothing but Judaism, version 2.0.. and thus, Islam must be Judaism, version 3.0.  

Xenu_guy

SUPERSQUIRRELX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 pm
Hate to break it to you, but Jesus is the only way to heaven.
Nobody else came back from the dead, although I could argue all day about the historical evidence behind that...
the point is anything short of God isn't going to make you perfect enough to get into heaven.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:01 am
SUPERSQUIRRELX
Hate to break it to you, but Jesus is the only way to heaven.
Nobody else came back from the dead, although I could argue all day about the historical evidence behind that...
the point is anything short of God isn't going to make you perfect enough to get into heaven.
Osiris and Izanami actually did to name a few. biggrin And Krishna also I believe.  

Neferet -House of Night-

OneWithDunamis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:23 pm
Actually Lazarus came back from the dead heh. But still by Jesus' power.

God decides who gets to go to heaven.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:03 pm
I don't think God is as black and white as many people do. Sure, I think Jesus died for our sins, but I'm sure God still has a soft spot for the Jews and I bet the Muslims have something worked out with him. Even other religions, such as Hinduism which are generally considered polytheistic (which it's not, PS) or heathenistic share many parallels with Christianity. Ghandi, for instance, burned with such a fire, I don't think it's impossible for God to not rule him out of heaven either.  

`apple dumpling

OneWithDunamis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:21 pm
But isn't that like someone saying to the owner of a house "I don't know you, nor do I care much about you, but you should let me into your house"?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:44 pm
OneWithDunamis
But isn't that like someone saying to the owner of a house "I don't know you, nor do I care much about you, but you should let me into your house"?

But aren't we all God's children and didn't Jesus die for all of us? Regardless of is we accept it our not?

Besides, most religions are worshipping the same God, just in a different way or with a different understanding of him.

`apple dumpling

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:30 pm
`apple dumpling
OneWithDunamis

But aren't we all God's children and didn't Jesus die for all of us? Regardless of is we accept it our not?

Besides, most religions are worshipping the same God, just in a different way or with a different understanding of him.

Jesus didn't die for everyone. His sacrifice is enough to save everyone, but it is only applied to those who accept him as their savior.

We are all God's children in the sense that he created all of us; but since then, we have disowned him. Some are essentially the children of the devil.

Not all religions worship the same God; in fact every religion worships a different God than Christianity. Christ said that he is the only way to God; so if any other religion claims to be worshiping the same God, their worship and prayers fail and never reach him. But no religion really tries to worship the same God anyway; just because it may be a monotheistic God, doesn't mean they're all the same. Some are false and one is real.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:40 am
Crimson Raccoon
`apple dumpling
OneWithDunamis

Jesus didn't die for everyone. His sacrifice is enough to save everyone, but it is only applied to those who accept him as their savior.

We are all God's children in the sense that he created all of us; but since then, we have disowned him. Some are essentially the children of the devil.

Not all religions worship the same God; in fact every religion worships a different God than Christianity. Christ said that he is the only way to God; so if any other religion claims to be worshiping the same God, their worship and prayers fail and never reach him. But no religion really tries to worship the same God anyway; just because it may be a monotheistic God, doesn't mean they're all the same. Some are false and one is real.
Really? How I understand it, he did in fact die for EVERYONE. It is whether or not, people ACCEPT that sacrifice. Remember we all have free-will. And Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the SAME God. Thus why they are called the Abrahamic faiths. biggrin  

Neferet -House of Night-

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:27 am
Dark Angel Rai
Really? How I understand it, he did in fact die for EVERYONE. It is whether or not, people ACCEPT that sacrifice.

Well, I'm sorry, but you understand it wrong, with all due respect. Christ doesn't die for people who hate him, whoever Christ died for is saved no matter what. If the person is not saved because they hate Christ, then Christ didn't die for them. Otherwise his sacrifice would have been a failure. There is no Christian denomination that I know of that teaches Christ died for absolutely everyone. But everyone who puts their faith in Christ will be saved.

Dark Angel Rai
Remember we all have free-will. And Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the SAME God. Thus why they are called the Abrahamic faiths. biggrin

Muslims do not worship the same God. The Islamic God is monotheistic, but that doesn't mean he is the same God. I can think up a monotheistic God and base him mostly on the God of the Old Testament, but say things like he hates animals, doesn't allow us to drink milk, bestows the blessing of blonde hair on those he wants to rule over their family members, and has no mercy on anyone unless they eat Captain Crunch every morning. Well, the God of the Bible never commanded any such things; in fact, they would totally be against his character; so, this must be describing a different God.

Islam is clearly about a different God, because, like the God I just invented, the Islamic God has many different characteristics and commands than what the God of the Bible would ever do or say. And it goes both ways: Muslims would say I am blasphemous because I worship Jesus Christ. But to Christians, Jesus Christ is God. Muslims would also say I'm blasphemous because I believe I can have a personal relationship with God. To them, the idea of the church being the bride of God is blasphemous. But Christians believe in a God who can have a personal relationship with all of us. Clearly, we are worshiping very different Gods.

The three monotheistic religions are called Abrahamic because of the history, tradition, and culture that they came out of. There are plenty of other religions that refer to themselves as Abrahamic; it's really more about the tradition and being monotheistic than it is about the God they worship.

This is pretty much held with consensus among Christian denominations across the board, that Muslims worship a different God.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:04 am
Crimson Raccoon
Dark Angel Rai
Really? How I understand it, he did in fact die for EVERYONE. It is whether or not, people ACCEPT that sacrifice.

Well, I'm sorry, but you understand it wrong, with all due respect. Christ doesn't die for people who hate him, whoever Christ died for is saved no matter what. If the person is not saved because they hate Christ, then Christ didn't die for them. Otherwise his sacrifice would have been a failure. There is no Christian denomination that I know of that teaches Christ died for absolutely everyone. But everyone who puts their faith in Christ will be saved.

Dark Angel Rai
Remember we all have free-will. And Muslims, Jews and Christians worship the SAME God. Thus why they are called the Abrahamic faiths. biggrin

Muslims do not worship the same God. The Islamic God is monotheistic, but that doesn't mean he is the same God. I can think up a monotheistic God and base him mostly on the God of the Old Testament, but say things like he hates animals, doesn't allow us to drink milk, bestows the blessing of blonde hair on those he wants to rule over their family members, and has no mercy on anyone unless they eat Captain Crunch every morning. Well, the God of the Bible never commanded any such things; in fact, they would totally be against his character; so, this must be describing a different God.

Islam is clearly about a different God, because, like the God I just invented, the Islamic God has many different characteristics and commands than what the God of the Bible would ever do or say. And it goes both ways: Muslims would say I am blasphemous because I worship Jesus Christ. But to Christians, Jesus Christ is God. Muslims would also say I'm blasphemous because I believe I can have a personal relationship with God. To them, the idea of the church being the bride of God is blasphemous. But Christians believe in a God who can have a personal relationship with all of us. Clearly, we are worshiping very different Gods.

The three monotheistic religions are called Abrahamic because of the history, tradition, and culture that they came out of. There are plenty of other religions that refer to themselves as Abrahamic; it's really more about the tradition and being monotheistic than it is about the God they worship.

This is pretty much held with consensus among Christian denominations across the board, that Muslims worship a different God.
Me thinks you are confused. Allah means God in Arabic. neutral

And what do the Jews think neh? neutral  

Neferet -House of Night-

Crimson Raccoon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:18 am
Dark Angel Rai

Ok..... so? Who said anything about Allah? I never said Allah, I said God, because I know that's what it means.... =P

Dark Angel Rai

The Jews made up an extremely significant portion of the early Christians. Christ intended his message to go to them first, and then spread outward to the entire world through them. That was his purpose for taking the Jews as his chosen people in Old Testament times. Thousands of Jews did recognize Christ as their God, and they did not consider their beliefs to be a new religion, but the true meaning of Judaism. And that's what it is, really, according to the Bible.

The Jews that rejected Christ also rejected God, and it shows that they were never truly following God and the Bible in the first place. The Old Testament is filled with prophecies about the Messiah who would come, and Jesus fulfilled them; if someone doesn't believe in Christ, then they also don't really believe in those parts of the Old Testament either. Just like today there are many people who call themselves "Christians" and don't really practice their beliefs according to the Bible, in the same way back then there were Jews who didn't have the right idea about God. The ones who did have the right belief knew that Christ was God. He had thousands of followers among the Jews.

But the ones who didn't accept him, particularly the Pharisees and their followers whom Jesus had many words of criticism for, these are the ones who continued the religion of Judaism without Christ. Since then, the religion has changed quite a bit, with new writings such as the Talmud becoming their guide of how to live. It's a different religion than Christianity, and like Muslims, they have many very different ideas of who God is. Judaism, Islam, and Christianity all worship a monotheistic God, but it is not the same monotheistic God. The more you study how different each religions' view of God is, the more clear that becomes.

The Bible says, "No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also." It teaches that anyone who does not believe in Jesus also does not believe in the true God; you can't separate them. This was written by a Jew, as was the vast majority of the New Testament. Jews who do not accept Jesus are not worshiping the same God, according to the Bible. And Jews, like Muslims, believe that Christians are blasphemous for worshiping Christ. That is why the Jews killed Christ, after all; because they claimed he was blasphemous.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:44 pm
Crimson Raccoon
Dark Angel Rai

Ok..... so? Who said anything about Allah? I never said Allah, I said God, because I know that's what it means.... =P

Dark Angel Rai

The Jews made up an extremely significant portion of the early Christians. Christ intended his message to go to them first, and then spread outward to the entire world through them. That was his purpose for taking the Jews as his chosen people in Old Testament times. Thousands of Jews did recognize Christ as their God, and they did not consider their beliefs to be a new religion, but the true meaning of Judaism. And that's what it is, really, according to the Bible.

The Jews that rejected Christ also rejected God, and it shows that they were never truly following God and the Bible in the first place. The Old Testament is filled with prophecies about the Messiah who would come, and Jesus fulfilled them; if someone doesn't believe in Christ, then they also don't really believe in those parts of the Old Testament either. Just like today there are many people who call themselves "Christians" and don't really practice their beliefs according to the Bible, in the same way back then there were Jews who didn't have the right idea about God. The ones who did have the right belief knew that Christ was God. He had thousands of followers among the Jews.

But the ones who didn't accept him, particularly the Pharisees and their followers whom Jesus had many words of criticism for, these are the ones who continued the religion of Judaism without Christ. Since then, the religion has changed quite a bit, with new writings such as the Talmud becoming their guide of how to live. It's a different religion than Christianity, and like Muslims, they have many very different ideas of who God is. Judaism, Islam, and Christianity all worship a monotheistic God, but it is not the same monotheistic God. The more you study how different each religions' view of God is, the more clear that becomes.

The Bible says, "No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also." It teaches that anyone who does not believe in Jesus also does not believe in the true God; you can't separate them. This was written by a Jew, as was the vast majority of the New Testament. Jews who do not accept Jesus are not worshiping the same God, according to the Bible. And Jews, like Muslims, believe that Christians are blasphemous for worshiping Christ. That is why the Jews killed Christ, after all; because they claimed he was blasphemous.

I agree completely with what you say. It sortof annoys me when people say, 'you all worship the same God', or 'All religions are really the same thing." and basically anything like that. I definately do not worship the God the Muslims believe, or the Jews, or any religion other than Christianity. Its like saying all religions that had polytheistic beliefs really believed in the same gods. Just because we have a monotheistic belief, doesn't mean we all believe in the same God.  

genbounty

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:31 pm
Crimson Raccoon
`apple dumpling
OneWithDunamis

So even though we share some of the same scripture with Jews we're worshiping a different God than them? And even though Muslims recognized Christians as "children of the book" and share many of our Biblical stories, they're worshiping a different God too?

Fun fact of information: at the end of the world, Christians, Jews, and Muslims are all expecting to see Jesus come to earth. Jew are expecting him for the first time, Christians and expecting him along with the rapture, and the Muslims are expecting him along with the final Caliph during their end times.

And you also realize their were slews of people claiming to be the Messiah in Jesus' time, right? They taught, healed, etc. Jesus criticism of the Pharisees was not so much that they were entirely wrong, but he dislikes their focus on laws, as following laws alone does not make you a righteous purpose. Jesus even had positive interactions with many members of the Jewish clergy, such a Jairus in Mark.

I'm less unsure about God's acceptance of other religions, but even then I'm sure he doesn't exclude them entirely. Most other world religions are either monotheistic or nontheistic (which is different than atheistic). Hinduism believes in one ultimate God who is expressed in many facets and would argue Jesus was simply another facet of the ultimate God Brahman. Sihkism rejects all religions and argues we should simply worship God. Buddhism does not worship the Buddha, and believes that focusing on a God we cannot understand does little good for us. Instead they focus on reaching enlightenment and being a good person.

Regardless, most world religions describe God in the exact same ways the Bible does- loving, just, powerful, infinite, all knowing, etc. Just because they have a different understanding of him or call him something different, doesn't mean he's any different. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, to quote Shakespeare. Besides, the view of God in the Christian faith has differed depending on culture, time period, and denomination.

And I believe that Jesus did in fact die for everyone, regardless of if they acknowledge it or not. Other religions pray to God for forgiveness as well. I simply cannot believe a loving God is so black and white as to exclude a good person who spent their life worshiping him, serving him, and being a good person would damn to hell simply because they don't meet the narrow confines of Christianity.

*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff