Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
is this guild still claiming civil and tolerant discussions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:37 pm
heart Oh, no! That is so terribly sad. crying To me, that just crosses over from what's religious... to what's downright criminal. But if it helps to clarify further, I intended my statement on the behalf of belief in religion. And not per say the practices that may infringe adversely on the lives of others. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:15 pm
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Sailor_Solitaire
heart CuAnnan... I would think you would be wise enough to take my statement into the context of religion... seeing as how this thread is religiously based. The fact that you slammed my religious remark against things like rape, murder, and child abuse, says a great deal about extremism on your behalf. heart
I think it has to do with certain cults like the FLDS and Frostian Wiccans for example that do rape little children and what not.

And possibly something of the fact that Cu doesn't very much like having his culture raped to ******** and back.  

Nines19

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:58 pm
Nines19
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Sailor_Solitaire
heart CuAnnan... I would think you would be wise enough to take my statement into the context of religion... seeing as how this thread is religiously based. The fact that you slammed my religious remark against things like rape, murder, and child abuse, says a great deal about extremism on your behalf. heart
I think it has to do with certain cults like the FLDS and Frostian Wiccans for example that do rape little children and what not.

And possibly something of the fact that Cu doesn't very much like having his culture raped to ******** and back.
You can't exactly blame everyone, especially the new folks for not having access to real, academically credible info until you present it to them yourself. The way bookstores and search engines work is by giving the reader/searcher the most popular results first, not the most credible. Bookstores and search engines have a bottom line to meet.

Blame them? No. It's not always reasonable for them to be experts on such a topic. However, we can go after the publishers and authors that invent the nonsense. I'm surprised that Llewelyn Publishing hasn't had a plagiarism suit put against them for citing utter nonsense from real books that don't contain said nonsense.

On the person to person level, what was done here worked. Thankfully the young man looked at the sources with an open mind. Some understanding wouldn't hurt.

And Tsukiyo -
I've never heard of FLDS, or the Frostian Wiccans. Can you give us a decent source on that? I'm curious about what's being done in the name of "religion".  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 pm
Sailor_Solitaire

Nope.
These are all things that have, within the past ten years, been done in the name of religion.
So.
How about you answer my questions?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 pm
Sailor_Solitaire
heart Oh, no! That is so terribly sad. crying To me, that just crosses over from what's religious... to what's downright criminal. But if it helps to clarify further, I intended my statement on the behalf of belief in religion. And not per say the practices that may infringe adversely on the lives of others. heart

All things do that.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 pm
PrometheanSet
the Frostian Wiccans. Can you give us a decent source on that?

Chapter 4, the Witches Bible by the Frosts.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:42 am
CuAnnan
Sailor_Solitaire

All things do that.
Do you have proof that all things do that? neutral  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 am
heart Okay, going into Super-Duper-Ultimate-BarneyStyle-Clarity Mode - here... and then I'll answer your questions lol razz

Read the title of this thread. It's about tolerance within the guild. This guild is an online, digital representation of our words, persons, thoughs, beliefs, etc... that in no way makes possible the things you mentioned. This guild, this thread, and the digital avatars and statements within are incapable of murder, rape, and child abuse, etc. Henceforth, when I reply to said guild, in said thread, to said topic, then yes yes, tolerance is necessary... just think about that... at least for a moment before going off.

Secondly, if someone steps outside and sees a beautiful day on the front porch, takes in a deep breath and says, "Ah, what a beautiful day."
It's not like we need some jerk running up to them to tell them, "No it's not a beautiful day, it's a terrible day because someone out there is having a terrible day."
Well if it's a matter of persepctive like that, then you could say that the person saying it's a terrible day is wrong, because you have someone in the world experiencing a beautiful day. It's all a matter of isolated perspective.
The wisdom of analyzing a statement... this is important here... is paying attention to the context in which it was said.
Anything anyone says could become potentially wrong if you throw an outside persective against it. This is perfectly natural, but we have come to deal with it by understanding the context in which things are said.

Lastly, since you have so diligently shared your perspective on a matter outside the actual topic, I will proceed forward with answering your qestions...

Like tolerance, flour is necessary in baking, but there is a balance of flour and other ingredients depending on what you want to bake. What I'm saying is, tolerance is important, as without it, you may easily find yourself over-judging others. But also in likeness, justice, wisdom, and many other factors come into play to balance it out. You can't simply let everyone get away with everything. That goes without say.

So I suggest if you want to talk further about this subject, you first put in a thread where it more appropriately belongs. This will prevent a great deal of confusion. heart  

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

brainnsoup
Crew

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:19 am
I definitely see what happened.
You probably read the title and a few posts, maybe a few posts on the last page, and posted your opinion on the origional point.
But usually by the second or third page, the topic has already shifted.
So my advice to you is to read the entire thread, or as much as you have to to understand what people are talking about on the last page, before posting.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:23 pm
... ya know, if we got on teh topic of Tolerance.... i might as well put in my opinion.

honestly, i don't think it's any matter of tolerance. that goes all into the what's right and what's wrong deal, which i realy don't believe in, at all.

it doens't exist. there are no rights, no good and evil, no right and wrong. nobody has any "right" to do anything.

that being said, laws and rules and justice systems developed (along with cultures)because it is the most beneficial. if everyone ran amok, there would be no safety. if everyone stole from one another there would be no bounty. so on and so forth.

sad thing is, people have stopped trusting ecahother agian anyway. money rules, and so fear and greed and distrust are rampant. i don't believe in good and evil, but i do know that if you don't trust and share and forgive it just breeds destruction, whil eif you love and trust and share and forgive, everyone wins, and the bounty continue sto grow infinately.

rape probably wouldn't be so traumatizing if it were an acceptable practice, but if it were an acceptble practice that would say a awful lot for how poor a society that would be.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:31 pm
heart Wait just a minute... I'm being told different things here by different people. I just got told by one person to stay on topic in threads, and now told by another to adhere to what's off topic when posting in a thread. Are you all anywhere near on the same page of conduct here? It seems no matter what I post, or how I post it, someone is going to be upset. Then again... this being a religion thread... I guess that goes without say... heart  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:00 pm
Chieftain Twilight

rape probably wouldn't be so traumatizing if it were an acceptable practice, but if it were an acceptble practice that would say a awful lot for how poor a society that would be.

"Rape" that's accepted is consentual sex, not rape. Even if we go by the older definition of the word, which means theft (hence the poem "The Rape of the Lock" and its double entendre), it still implies the lack of consent.

*finishes poking holes*  

A1Saucy

Devoted Codger

brainnsoup
Crew

Dapper Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 pm
Sailor_Solitaire
heart Wait just a minute... I'm being told different things here by different people. I just got told by one person to stay on topic in threads, and now told by another to adhere to what's off topic when posting in a thread. Are you all anywhere near on the same page of conduct here? It seems no matter what I post, or how I post it, someone is going to be upset. Then again... this being a religion thread... I guess that goes without say... heart
Well we're all different people, we're bound to have different opinions.
But what I'm saying is that what I think happen is that you read the topic and first post and replied to it without reading the whole thread.
And since the rest of the thread was in debate by then, they assumed you were replying to what they were talking about at that point.

Unless of course your origional post was directed at their debate...
But it didn't seem like it was.
Am I correct?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:43 am
brainnsoup
Sailor_Solitaire
Well we're all different people, we're bound to have different opinions.
But what I'm saying is that what I think happen is that you read the topic and first post and replied to it without reading the whole thread.
And since the rest of the thread was in debate by then, they assumed you were replying to what they were talking about at that point.

Unless of course your origional post was directed at their debate...
But it didn't seem like it was.
Am I correct?
She was replying to the first post. Thus trying to get the debate back on track.  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

alteregoivy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:53 am
4shi
Chieftain Twilight

"Rape" that's accepted is consentual sex, not rape. Even if we go by the older definition of the word, which means theft (hence the poem "The Rape of the Lock" and its double entendre), it still implies the lack of consent.

*finishes poking holes*

I think Chieftain maybe meant if rape weren't punished in a society. If the woman doesn't consent, it's still rape. But if the man isn't punished for it, if no one cares, then what else could you say but to assume that it's an accepted practice?  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff