Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] The Earth's Upheaval
Dungeons & Dragons - The Orb of Kendar Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:04 pm
BEFORE I resolve any of those perception checks, however...

All of you who got up and ran towards the door (Dwalin, Mikah, Ambra), as you do so, you kind of rush into a cascade effect. As soon as Ambra shouted "What was that!?", and started towards the door, many many patrons of the tavern got up to do the same. Everyone basically mobs towards the door to be lookey-loos, as is humanoid nature.

Some are closer, some are faster, some are just ruder, so the lot of you end up in the middle of the mob - too far from the door, but likewise too far from the back to extricate yourselves.

Give me a DC 12 skill check and explanation of how you resolve this situation. The skill used is up to each of you and can be independent of one another. Success means you get to the door (or, if you'd rather, AWAY from the door; please state so in your post). Failure means you are kind of trapped and remain in the middle, suffering a penalty to your perception check as well.

Once the three of you make your rolls, I'll explain what everyone perceives.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:10 pm
Ambra Goldstar
Mage in Training

User Image

As Ambra tried to make her way for the door, she was immediately overwhelmed by the crowd. She let out out a startled "Ack!" as she was immediately walled in by four people much bigger than her. Unable to move, Ambra took a deep breath, closed her eyes and entered her zen state. Then, with as much force as her little body could muster, she shouted at the top of her lungs. Her words were polite but had as much weight behind them as she could manage. "Please, unless you're gonna help, please clear the way! We need to get outside, pronto!"

Granted, Ambra's skills mostly revolved around reading books and lighting things on fire, but her spirit was willing! Someone sounded in trouble and she was going to help!

(22 diplomacy to clear the way!))  

Kowsauni
Crew

Professor Nep Nep

Adorable Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:40 pm
Dwalin Vikramsson
Captain of The Guard

When the crowd got up and began to rush to the door, they all got trapped in the crowd, the dwarf got annoyed by this cause how were they ment to find out what happened if the crowd just blocked their path. Dwalin yelled as loudly as he could "All of you sit your asses back down before i have each and every one of you arrested for disruption of justice." He really had no power in this town but since he was captain of the guard back in his hometown, he knew how they went down so he figured atleast some would move so he could get to the door.

(16 intimidation yay i think)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:13 am
Aelgeirr the Vengeful Warlord

The high elf sighed as everyone it seems rushed to the entrance to find the source of the scream. Aelgeirr found himself regretting the use of his powers to get into the building. The Warlord looked around for an alternate exit, or failing that, the waitress.

OOC: Perception +1 = 5+1 =6  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Mik4ilah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:25 pm
Mikah, the faithful seeker.

The half elf never dealt well with enclosed situations, and suddenly been caught in a human wave was a situation that made her freak out. She first tried to push through the people, but this only got her stuck deeper into the mob. The constricting humanoid trap was bringing her to the brink of panic (just about to scream) when she realized, up was also a good way to go when everything else seems so impossible to achieve. She placed her hands on a tall man's shoulder and tried to climb him.- I'm so sorry!, excuse me...- she kept saying while clumsily and desperately tried to get on top of the mob and hold on to the door's frame in order to escape. Should she miss and fall from her heroic climbing, falling (hopefully) into a gallant man's hands, she would politely ask to be helped out of the humanity.

(( athletics rolls 14+8 =22)  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:59 pm
Ambra! You plead with the people to make way for your tiny self! Your words seem to have conviction and purpose behind them, and the people who hear you do clear a path. You get to the door!

Dwalin! You have a history of authority, it was time to put it to good use. Ambra is getting ahead of you, and being the bulky dude that you are, it isn't easy to follow. Instead, you start dispersing the crowd rather than navigate it - which is a form of navigation in of itself! People begin to get back, allowing you to get to the door soon after!

Mikah! You crowdsurf like a boss! Since you got an identical result as Ambra, you can get there the same time she does. Since you crowdsurfed with athletics, rather than go down an acrobatic route, your descent is probably less than professional, but you end up by the door!

Note for the new players: Aelgeirr gave me a second check and action when one wasn't asked for him. If I were in a meaner mood, I would give him exactly what he asked for, a route to the back door of the tavern and away from the upcoming mess, but that would be punishing the rest of you because of what came next. Thus, I'm going to ignore the intent of his post. Beware: Some DMs can be real jerkfaces! o_o

Right about that point, Ambra begins struggling with the view out the door. Did she have her lowlight vision turned off? Did she think giant centipedes were common around these parts? Was she just distracted by Mikah's crowdsurfing plummet? Who knows!

Oh, right, the part about the giant centipede! I should probably elaborate on that further, as the monstrous insect rears up to about 7' off the ground, turns and faces the door to the inn, and rushes the opening! Not too far behind is a huge group of smaller centipedes, probably its offspring.

Mikah, since you got to the door at the same time as Ambra and made your perception check (she didn't), I'll give you the choice: Forgo your and her initiative bonus for this combat to shove her out of the way, or let her take a hit to better prepare yourself for combat! Dwalin, Aelgeirr, you both likewise made your perception checks so you heard it coming and were able to not be caught off guard, so you guys get no penalties. The latter, because you didn't get a chance to get away far enough away yet!

When that decision is made, everyone, ROLL ME INITIATIVE!

For the new players: When rolling initiative, roll me 1d20 and add your initiative bonus to it. Because Aelgeirr is a Warlord, everyone within 10 squares a.k.a. 50 feet of him gets +2 to that roll. So Dwalin, you roll a total of 1d20+6. Mikah, you roll 1d20+8. Every player will roll initiative, as will the monsters; higher results get to act before lower ones. Whatever you get will stay the same until combat is finished, so it is rolled only once.

Mikah, if you take the offer mentioned above, you will roll just 1d20+0 for initiative for this combat, as will Ambra. If you decline, get your full +8, Ambra her +3, but the Centipede gets a free attack roll on her before combat starts, with Combat Advantage (basically +2 to its roll for her being caught off guard). It might miss!

Aelgeirr, it's been above 5 minutes since you used Fey Step.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mik4ilah

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Mikah's adventure on top of the human wave found it's ending with a hard reunion with the floor. The hunter staggered back to her feet and shook her head before turning around to find what was a 7' long nightmare with it's little monsters surrounding it. She was about to reach out for her sword when she noticed that Ambra didn't looked as aware of the giant monster about to attack them as she was. Seeing the creature about to attack Ambra, the ranger was forced to make a tough decision. Hesitating only for a moment, she finally resolved to pushing Ambra out of the monster's way. If she manages to dodge effectively she would use her quick draw ability to get her bow ready.

((Initiative roll= 7+ nothing ))  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:12 pm
Dwalin Vikramsson
Captain of The Guard

Dwalin took off his pack as quickly as possible and untied his shield from the side of it, sliding his hand through the strap and grabbing into the handle his shield was ready so now he just pulled the warhammer from his belt and he was prepared to fight this creature "Everybody stay near the back so you won't get injured!" he yelled to the people, hopefully they would listen to him.

(initiative 6 + 6 = 12)

Professor Nep Nep

Adorable Lunatic

Kowsauni rolled 20-sided dice: Total: 0 (-0)

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:18 pm
Ambra Goldstar
Mage in Training

User Image

Ambra obliviously runs out of the inn, unaware of the danger that lurks just beyond . She says, just before being shoved, "Huh, I don't see anythin--ACK!"

(Initiative 5)  
Kowsauni rolled 1 20-sided dice: 5 Total: 5 (1-20)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:19 pm
(oops, forgot to put in the dice number!)  

Kowsauni
Crew

Plainsfox rolled 1 20-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-20)

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Aelgeirr calmly surveyed the tavern as he looked for a backdoor or the waitress. As a giant centipede tried to force itself into the tavern, Aelgeirr stood up and drew his spear. The Centiipede and its brood volunteered to be impaled on his spear, That much the Eladrin knew.

OOC: Init 1d20+2 (I do get the benefit of my own schtick, right? ><)
Result: 8  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:19 pm
ROUND 1

Map!

15 - Centipede Scuttler
13 - Centipede Swarm
13 - Swarm Attack - 3 damage to those starting their turn adjacent takes 3 damage.

12 - Dwalin
8 - Aelgeirr
7 - Mikah
5 - Ambra

0 - Bystanders

--------------------

The giant centipede (about 11' in length when it wasn't rearing up or coiled) slithered past the girls, instead setting its sights on one of the tavern's patrons. The man let out a scream for a split second, before the vermin's mandibles closed around the guy's head and tore it from his body with a rather quick twist, causing blood to spray out against the wall.

People began to scream and panic and start to run around in terror.

The broodlings followed on its parent's heels, a dozen or so foot-long insects swarming around Mikah's and Ambra's feet. Since Mikah was 'closer' (having moved to push Ambra away), and attempt to bring her down by going for her legs. However, the brutal murder a moment ago seems to distract them, and they don't actually complete their lunge!

The Centipede Swarm has an Aura - those who starts their turn adjacent to them (diagonal counts) takes 3 damage. However, due to the natural 1 I just rolled, Ambra and Mikah will NOT be taking this damage the first round!

Everyone, you now have initiative, starting with Dwalin! I typically post after all four of you have done so, but if one of you takes an action that drastically alters the map (or requires you to hit to get a bonus and you want to know if you did or not), I will post then. Feel free to ask me for an update if you want one before you take your action!

For the new players: Movement in combat. Normally, on your turn, you can move your speed - 6 squares for most of you, 5 for the dwarf. However, there are some restrictions - you can move through an ally's space but not end in it, but you cannot move through an enemy's or NPC's space except under certain conditions (unconscious, tied up, etc). You can spend two move actions to move twice (12 and 10 spaces, respectively) and not attack if you'd like. Difficult terrain (ex: the tables) cost double to move through, so that space counts as '2' if you wanted to hop the table.

When you are, at any point during your move (start or in the middle of) adjacent to an enemy and then you move from that space, they will get an Opportunity Attack against you - basically a free swing. An enemy will only attack you once per round in this manner, but they could in theory attack each of you. So you can move UP to an enemy and be fine, but moving along them, say, to flank, will provoke then. Likewise, retreating from them will get them a free swipe before you depart.

Instead of your full move, you can spend a move action to Shift. That means you move JUST 1 space (but not into difficult terrain), and you will NOT provoke any opportunity attacks for doing so. This allows ranged attackers to back up slowly and still contribute to combat! Or to shift 1 space, then move your full distance away if you'd like.

There's rules for a couple other movement methods if it comes down to it (crawling, etc). I'll cover those if you ask "how do I do ________?"

A couple other options to do during your turn as standard actions:
  • Basic Melee or Ranged Attack (if you have a weapon for it). Nothing special, but everyone has these options always.
  • Aid Another (updated in an errata). Choose an adjacent target, and one ally; that ally gets +2 to hit that target, or to all defenses against that target's next attack. This bonus lasts until the end of your next turn, if not used by then.
  • Charge. Standard action to move AND attack in one combined action, with +1 to your attack roll. However, you must move in as direct of a line as possible, it must be a melee basic attack, and you can't take any further actions after the charge resolves.
  • Bull Rush - Like a charge, but no damage, instead pushing the target.
  • Grab - Grappling a target to immobilize them. You probably don't want to do this against centipedes.
  • Ready an action - Choose an action and a trigger; if that trigger happens before your next turn, you act then, and that becomes your new initiative. Typically, used for 'I make a melee attack when X enemy moves adjacent to me', especially if they are faster, or flying! This is a standard action to ready, so if you do this, you aren't attacking on your normal turn.
  • Total Defense - Standard action, +2 to all defenses until the start of your next turn.
  • Second Wind - Standard action, +2 to all defenses until the start of your next turn, and spend a healing surge (1 healing surge per day gets used up, and you recover hit points equal to your surge value). Once per encounter, just like an encounter power. Dwarves do this as a minor action.

These are all options, as well as things I didn't list, but generally, the best thing to do is straight up attack with one of your powers, unless you think it's a bad idea or you need to do something different.

FINAL NOTE: You can't take actions during the initiative roll. So those of you who said you grabbed your weapons, you actually can't do that. If you had grabbed them before I asked for initiative rolls, you'd already have them out. But for now, you must spend a minor action to draw a weapon. Mikah, reloading your bow with an arrow is a free action.

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:51 pm

The Eladrin muttered as he instead drew one of his throwing axes. Even if he didn't have to clear the cluttered tables to get to the centipede, it would still be out of his spear's reach. Thus far, he feystepped onto the table behind the little halfbreed and chucked his axe at the centipede.

OOC:
Die Roll: 1d20+6: 15
Damage: 1d6+4 (If hit): 9  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:01 pm

Are you alright?.- The ranger asked Ambra as she turned around to the centipede monster, only to be faced with a horrible show which i will not repeat for the sake of pg-13. The half-elf shifted south-east, away from the swarm, quickly regaining her shooting stance.- That's enough of that fiend! Have at thee!.- She pulled the arrow as far back as possible, aiming to the part of the creature's abdomen by it's legs, hopefully this would slow down the monster to let people escape the place.

Hitting roll = 17+6= 23

Damage roll (in case I hit the monster) = 8+9+6= 23  

Mik4ilah

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:13 pm
Ambra Goldstar
Mage in Training

User Image

Ambra screams at the sight of seeing a man have his head bitten off by the enormous centipede. It really was not something she was prepared for right at that moment. Ambra looks even paler then she normally does as she nods at Mikah, fine but obliviously shaken by this gruesome turn of events.

Ambra jumps back a few feet from the swarm of centipedes in front of her and it is obvious she wishes she could move back more. Trembling a bit, she waves her arms around and recites a magic incantation. A ball of fire leaps from her hands and explodes in the middle of the large centipede and its several babies.

Minor: Screams
Move: Ambra shifts one square south.
Standard: Ambra casts Scorching Burst centered on the square just south of the main scorpion and just east of the scorpion swarm.
Crit on the Big Scorpion, 11 fire damage
23 vs Ref on the scorpion Swarm, 10 fire damage on a hit  
[D&D 4e] The Earth's Upheaval

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas