Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[D&D 4e] The Origins Expedition (Full, Starting) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Liquidor

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:06 am
KytanaTheThief
Liquidor
Paidi tou Selini

blah. was working on a backstory when i realized something.

how do you feel about retraining?

Every time a character gains a level, he or she can retrain. This involves changing one feat, power, or trained skill. Only one change is allowed per level. If the player book says to replace one of the character’s powers with a different power of a higher level, replacing the power doesn’t count as retraining. The character can still retrain a feat, some other power, or a trained skill.

Its from the Rules Compendium.

You do realize retraining is in the PHB as well, right?

Thought it was but it was late and my mind doesn't work as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:11 pm
How do I feel? I feel like I might be missing some context with that question. sweatdrop

It's there so that, if you feel like you've made a mistake or that a power, feat, or skill isn't working the way you wanted it to, you can switch it with something of equal level (a.k.a: no lv14 powers replacing a lv5 or paragon feats replacing heroic feats). So in that context, yeah go for it. I'm not going to ban basic rules.

EDIT: Nevermind. I understand what you were asking now.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Psychofish rolled 16 6-sided dice: 5, 4, 3, 5, 5, 1, 6, 2, 5, 6, 4, 4, 4, 6, 4, 6 Total: 70 (16-96)

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:02 pm
My first four sets of 4d6. Let's see what we get.

I'm told this crew needs damage, so it looks like I might finally get to play a striker.  
Psychofish rolled 12 6-sided dice: 6, 4, 6, 6, 4, 4, 3, 6, 3, 3, 5, 4 Total: 54 (12-72)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:05 pm
And once more-

14, 13, 15, 16, 18, 14, 12

Looks like a keeper to me.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:41 pm
Everyone else before Fish
*sucky dice rolls*

Psychofish
14, 13, 15, 16, 18, 14, 12

Looks like a keeper to me.

KHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN FFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!! mad  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 pm
Rain Yupa

scream

I sorta want to see that fighter, as much as the idea of playing a rogue and letting the party's buffs & debuffs turn me into a god sounds hilarious. Not sure how much damage vs control power you all have collectively yet, so I might play defender. I'm eyeing rogues & battleminds I think, but monks, sorcs, and warlocks are things I've eyed before. In terms of defenders.... dunno, I dig most of them.

Also, usually my luck is second only to yours with dice. Yet I rolled great for the CoC campaigns and this. I think Lilly is giving me good luck on character creation.

*rubs her head for more*  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Gender Ender

Doting Darling

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 pm
This party's fillin' up! Yeah!

Check out swordmage, maybe? I've always thought they don't get enough credit, defender-wise.

Also holy crap those are some amazing rolls. Dang. @_@;  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:43 am
Rain Yupa
That's what, 6 Healing/Inspiring Words a combat?

The hybrid clerics only gets one Word.

Plus having to split powers evenly between cleric, avenger, wizard, doesn't leave a lot of room for healing but kinda leaves me like a tank.  

Liquidor

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:49 am
Psychofish
I think Lilly is giving me good luck on character creation.

*rubs her head for more*

Wait, is that actually a thing? eek

*starts rubbing too*  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 pm
Rain Yupa
Psychofish
I think Lilly is giving me good luck on character creation.

*rubs her head for more*

Wait, is that actually a thing? eek

*starts rubbing too*

She is going to go bald, at this rate.... On a side note, I hate fish now... evil  

Xun Ira

Xun Ira

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:24 pm
Joseph Severn
How does Int/Cha do any defending...? Shenanigans!

Not that I know much about the meatshield portion of the gameplay....but still, I'm curious.

Gnome Int with ether Dex or Cha,

Still new to 4e, but Dex still revolves around AC. And I believe Paladin's powers are based on Charisma. A light armored gnome paladin could easily be defender  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:29 pm
Joseph Severn
How does Int/Cha do any defending...? Shenanigans!

Not that I know much about the meatshield portion of the gameplay....but still, I'm curious.

Ahahahaha, that's right, you don't know me well yet.

Whereas Liquidor is a minmaxer, I'm a maxminner. I focus more on the roleplay worth of my character, rather than trying to optimize anything. The challenge is part of the fun, which is why I would never want to play a character with unbalanced traits (where's the fun in that?).

Maybe I could have at one point, but as a player I've matured over the years and I look towards longevity of a character I enjoy playing, rather than seeing how good that can do at combat - because, if you make a character good enough, they won't lose, then once you do one combat what's the point of any other? You'll know the result.

So yeah, withdrawing my Cleric and I'll make that Gnome Fighter now, because I must. Unless you lot give me a good reason to stay with the Cleric. Fish, you were torn between Striker and Defender; I just helped you make the decision :3

Point Buy:
STR 17
CON 14
DEX 8
INT 12
WIS 13
CHA 10  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Gender Ender

Doting Darling

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:36 pm
Xun Ira

Still new to 4e, but Dex still revolves around AC. And I believe Paladin's powers are based on Charisma. A light armored gnome paladin could easily be defender

AC is just fine, but he specified fighter; fighters have Strength primary, essentially all of their attack powers use it.

Paladins can do fine with Charisma- it's one of their two primary builds, in fact; Swordmages are always good with Intelligence.
My confusion arises from building a Gnome Fighter, one of the three defender classes that are unequivocally based on physical stats (Battlemind (Con) and Warden (Str) rounding out the trio).

Rain Yupa

Ahahahaha, that's right, you don't know me well yet.

Whereas Liquidor is a minmaxer, I'm a maxminner. I focus more on the roleplay worth of my character, rather than trying to optimize anything. The challenge is part of the fun, which is why I would never want to play a character with unbalanced traits (where's the fun in that?).

Maybe I could have at one point, but as a player I've matured over the years and I look towards longevity of a character I enjoy playing, rather than seeing how good that can do at combat - because, if you make a character good enough, they won't lose, then once you do one combat what's the point of any other? You'll know the result.

So yeah, withdrawing my Cleric and I'll make that Gnome Fighter now, because I must. Unless you lot give me a good reason to stay with the Cleric. Fish, you were torn between Striker and Defender; I just helped you make the decision :3

I understand the sentiment, but....well, here's the thing.

There is no incompatibility between making a mechanically powerful character (in a game about powerful heroes) and roleplaying in a fulfilling way.

I don't mind at all if you want to make a Gnome Fighter, if that's what you have fun playing; I do mind the characterization of optimization as opposed to enjoyment, or opposed to roleplaying.

Rain Yupa

For the record, for a Fighter to be a good defender, he just has to ATTACK, not necessarily HIT.

This is partially true- he still has mark punishment and so forth- but if a Fighter isn't putting out the expected amount of damage, the monsters in a standard encounter will have a few more rounds to take down the rest of the team. Damage is monster lifespan.

EDIT:
I apologize if the previous came off a bit irritable; it's a bit of a sore spot, since I've had to deal with a fair amount of smirking superiority from 'REAL roleplayers' when I have the audacity to come to the table with an 18 before adjustments.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:40 pm
Joseph Severn
Xun Ira

AC is just fine, but he specified fighter; fighters have Strength primary, essentially all of their attack powers use it.

Paladins can do fine with Charisma- it's one of their two primary builds, in fact; Swordmages are always good with Intelligence.
My confusion arises from building a Gnome Fighter, one of the three defender classes that are unequivocally based on physical stats (Battlemind (Con) and Warden (Str) rounding out the trio).

For the record, for a Fighter to be a good defender, he just has to ATTACK, not necessarily HIT.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 pm
No it is not a thing. Stop stealing my luck! You saw what happened last time I rolled abilities. crying

Joseph Severn

• I have your Reflex at 25. If you're going to wear the Feystep Lacings you may as well claim the bonus for them.
  • Same with initiative. I mean, I guess you don't have to use your Improved Initiative feat if you don't want to. If you just took it because it doesn't get enough love that's fine too.
  • Your HP raises retroactively as you gain Constitution, putting you at 73. All the other numbers there are still the same, though.
  • I have your funding at 1100g. Which is still a lot when you consider the fact that you are about to venture into lands so uncharted that no recorded living or unliving soul has seen them in over a thousand years. Chances of finding a shop or merchant down there are preeeeety slim.
  • Amulet and Cloak are both Neck Slot items. Just remember that you can't use both at the same time.
  • Fill out your attack workspace please. It'll make things easier on me when it comes time to record battle information. To the same end it would also be wonderful if you recorded what your magic items do somewhere (like in Powers or Other Notes) so we both don't have to keep digging through books to find a quick reference.

Other than that you're all set.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces