Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blank pages, loosely bound (BPLB)

Back to Guilds

A learn to roleplay guild, with classes and guides. An RP school for Gaians of any level. 

Tags: teach, role, play, guide, class 

Reply Main Forum
I just got refused entry to an rp guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you think it's fair?
  yes
  no!
View Results

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:35 am
Of course you don't think being pedantic is the problem, you're part of that problem. Contempt does not exist in a fun and supporting environment. If you want it to be work; write a novel. If you want to play; play.

Feral Knight
... If you wouldn't write like that for a school essay or on a written report for work, then don't inflict it on us here ...
You're saying that Gaia should be like school? From what country? To who's educational standard. It tells me a lot about you that you compare a game to school. Do you have no other comparison? No life experience?

You should be aware that you are in the middle of the of a meeting point of many countries, backgrounds, cultures, classes and biases. So already you may have a serious advantage over others. And yet you hold them to the same standard. Sounds like some serious discrimination. I choose to be a good person personally ...

By you're own admission of:
Feral Knight
... But to insist that someone be able to write a series of sentences that don't need a cryptographer or translator to be readable? That's neither rude nor stupid ...

The original poster would be accepted ... and yet you contradict yourself with:
Feral Knight
... Would I expect her to fix those errors before I allowed her to participate in one of my roleplays? Yes. ...

I restate. You're part of the problem.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:53 am
Uh huh. You would be one of those broken idealists. Okay, let me explain something to you. First of all, contempt ALWAYS exists. It's a perfectly natural trait. You're holding me in contempt right now, despite claiming that you choose to be a good person. And believe it or not, this is a supportive environment. And I am always perfectly happy to help people. Am I saying that Gaia should be like school? No, you need to learn to read what is written. Not what you want to be written. I'm saying that a poster has the obligation to post something that everyone else can actually read. It's not fun for everyone else if we have to spend more time trying to figure out what someone is saying then we spend writing out what we want to do.

And no. I haven't contradicted myself. Don't try to twist my statements in simple, understandable English to suit your own ends. It doesn't work. Her writing was understandable. Doesn't mean it was acceptable.

But hey. If you want to learn something about me based on what I write here, then I'll give you something to chew on. Regardless of whether or not you actually realize it, you are saying that you encourage people not only being lazy with what they write and how they write it, but that everyone else in the world is wrong to expect these individuals to both want to improve their abilities and to need to. I may be part of a problem in your eyes, but I'm not the one saying that people with the writing ability of a three year old, for instance, should be writing novels.  

Feral Knight

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:10 am
I have no contempt for you. NONE. In a sadistic way, I find conversations such as there an enjoyable practice of my own observations. C: Understand that I genuinely have no ill will against you at all! What reason do I have to hold contempt against you? You are a stranger online ... you have no impact on my world.

Such statements like:
Feral Knight
... of all, contempt ALWAYS exists. It's a perfectly natural trait...
prove that I was right about you. World views are reflective. People who believe contempt is in all of us believe that because they have too much of it.

Feral Knight
... Am I saying that Gaia should be like school? ...
Yes.
Feral Knight
... If you wouldn't write like that for a school essay ...
comparing Gaia and school.

Feral Knight
... It doesn't work. Her writing was understandable. Doesn't mean it was acceptable. ...
You said it was: by this rule:
Feral Knight
... But to insist that someone be able to write a series of sentences that don't need a cryptographer or translator to be readable? That's neither rude nor stupid. Quite the contrary. The poster insisting that it's perfectly fine being able to post such nonsense is the one being rude ...
I was pointing out that what you said was not relevant nor in context. Apply context: you're talking about the poster. So pointing saying that it should be readable then saying that her writing is makes your statement a waste of text.

Feral Knight
... Regardless of whether or not you actually realize it, you are saying that you encourage people not only being lazy with what they write and how they write it, but that everyone else in the world is wrong to expect these individuals to both want to improve their abilities and to need to. ...
Quote me when I said I was against improvement. Quote me when I said I was for being lazy.

Feral Knight
... I may be part of a problem in your eyes, but I'm not the one saying that people with the writing ability of a three year old, for instance, should be writing novels ...
Show me a three years on who can type like the original poster.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 pm
1) No, it proves that you are not only a horrible judge of character, but don't know what the word contempt means. If you claim someone is a problem, you hold them in contempt.

2) No. Just because that's what you're reading doesn't mean that's what I wrote.

3) That's stating a fact. Not making a comparison.

4) First of all, that isn't a rule. Secondly, I never said that poor writing is acceptable just because it is legible.

5) That would be your opinion, and not a fact. I've had college writing & analysis professors that would fail you on the class just for that.

6) I'd have to quote every post you've made in this thread. So no.

7) Every three year old. It's called randomly pressing buttons.  

Feral Knight

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:07 pm
I'm sorry but I do believe you're using the wrong word then. Please have a click on the below link or just use any free dictionary online to find the meaning of contempt. It essentially means to despise.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/contempt

I think it's a fair point to come to, to say that we should just agree to disagree. Might be a more harmonious way to go about it. C:  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 pm
Webster's Dictionary. Contempt: Noun. To judge. razz  

Feral Knight

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:15 pm
I feel as if I'm reading a debate born from The Allegory of the Cave. But rhetoric was never my thing, just a mild passing interest so I'll move on.

Feral Knight
Wolf-girl. And yes. Just ears and a tail.

I was half-right.

I try not to discriminate when people make such characters but I can not stand it and usually refrain from RPing with them.

The way that she presents her character is so contradictory and shallow. Just having ears and a tail while looking otherwise human doesn't really seem to give her character the right to have an 'us vs them' mentality, that's like segregation based on skin color or ethnicity.

And I find it shallow because when people chose to have characters with that sort of appearance they are usually put off by the idea of a more beastly character.

For example most females I know of when playing the part of a Siren they will go for the beautiful sea nymph/mermaid type vs the original harpy-like image.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm
Well, original version of a siren depends on which culture you look at. Oldest version is actually closer to the succubus of psuedo Christianity than either the sea nymph or anything harpy like. But yeah, I agree that her presentation of her character was rather shallow. I really shouldn't be judgemental about that, though. Dragonewts are roughly the same. Almost entirely human, just with a few draconic features. Mine had nothing more than a draconic left arm, the eyes, and the teeth. I enjoyed creeping people out describing his occasional smiles.  

Feral Knight

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:28 pm
Feral Knight
Webster's Dictionary. Contempt: Noun. To judge. razz
I love it when people pick the definition they like best. Words don't change meanings depending on the dictionary you use.

Lady Bern You've just stepped on two land mines.

1: The role of a female in society.
2: Connection of character and self.

Also if "bad" role-players never get to practice their skills how can they become "good" role-players? By excluding new players from role-playing with more experienced ones, you're preventing them from learning from better role-players. That means, creating a greater division between the two.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:32 pm
If I do a beastly sort of character save for the times when the mood is light I prefer to keep it more anthropomorphic than faux human hybrid that looks more like a first time cosplayer. Really what's so unappealing about anyone with wolf/cat ears and tails?

If the hentai business has taught us anything it's more of a turn on that safely borderlines bestiality.

Oh if they were used as a sort of erotic slave or exotic animal kept as pets I could see more reason for her character to dislike and rebel against the human race.  

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200

Lady Bern
Vice Captain

Aekea Pirate

11,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:45 pm
Mezri

Lady Bern You've just stepped on two land mines.

1: The role of a female in society.
2: Connection of character and self.

Also if "bad" role-players never get to practice their skills how can they become "good" role-players? By excluding new players from role-playing with more experienced ones, you're preventing them from learning from better role-players. That means, creating a greater division between the two.

You'll have to elaborate to me where I stepped on those landmines in your opinion.

I was speaking from experience, people who tend to do that are very stubborn and controlling when they are the ones who has started the RP. As Feral pointed out earlier they tend to believe that their word is god and to go against it earns you a blacklisting even if you are trying to help them.

I went through it before and every ounce of effort I put to help was met with resistance, and trust me I was not rude, I did not act in a greater-than-thou manner or anything. When I can see that they are like that I tend to avoid them not reject them from anything that I am doing.

It is my personal preference, I admit, when it comes to anthro type characters that tends to make my first impression on most leaving me with little expectations but it doesn't stop me from RPing with them entirely, especially when I know how that person RPs.

I'm a bit glad Wrasynth isn't around at the moment. The can of worms this would open.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 pm
That logic also applies to you, Mezri. You're just using the one you want.

I don't think she really mentioned why her character was trying to rebel, Bern. Just found it amusing that she wanted everyone acting like the rest of the world was a chew toy or scratching post. Just because someone is of a beastial race doesn't mean they have to act like a rabid animal.  

Feral Knight

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 pm
It's a common opinion that the role of a female is society is a role of beauty. Take Australia. 98% of Australian women think they're fat and yet that is not the correct overweight percentage.

The connection of character is self is being imaginative with yourself rather than a created character. So with the first point, the person wants to see themselves still fitting into society in the role that they feel already trapped in. The character self connection is not terrible in role-play. I will put down a novel with evident connections of character to self thought personally.

But lets get to the point: no one is saying there is a not risk when you allow a newcomer into the guild (and then the role-play). And just because they type well and have a good character does not mean they are not a bad player. From years of experience I have often found those "under-dog" "bad" role-players are actually really fun and creative.

While there is a correlation between ability to role-play and character, I think people should be given a chance before it's determined that they will ruin the game. That's all I'm saying.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm
Feral Knight
That logic also applies to you, Mezri. You're just using the one you want.
I am highlighting the harshest meaning (not ignoring the others). The word means all that it is defined as. Feel free to miss the point of having a dictionary. -.-  

Mezri

Millionaire

7,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Feral Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:04 pm
Highlighting the harshest meaning =/= highlighting the accurate meaning. Feel free to miss the point of actually using said dictionary.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff