Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
is this guild still claiming civil and tolerant discussions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:43 pm
Chieftain Twilight
I AM SOMEONE WHO WORSHIPS HER!! FOR ******** SAKE, HOW DO I HAVE ANY LESS CREDIBILITY THEN THE NEXT PERSON!??

My credibility comes from my position.
My position is supported by the sources the Gael left.
Your lack of credibility comes from your position.
Your position is based upon books you have read to act as a beginner's guide to the Gods of the Celts.

My position comes from years of academic and scholastic application. Yours comes from looking for easy answers.

My attitude and position is consistent with the behaviours and attitudes of the Gael. Yours do not.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 pm
CuAnnan
Chieftain Twilight
I AM SOMEONE WHO WORSHIPS HER!! FOR ******** SAKE, HOW DO I HAVE ANY LESS CREDIBILITY THEN THE NEXT PERSON!??

Your position is based upon books you have read to act as a beginner's guide to the Gods of the Celts.

My position comes from years of academic and scholastic application. Yours comes from looking for easy answers.

My attitude and position is consistent with the behaviours and attitudes of the Gael. Yours do not.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been immersed in the very culture you're discussing since, uh, pretty much birth, Cu?  

Nines19

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 pm
Nines19
CuAnnan
Chieftain Twilight

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been immersed in the very culture you're discussing since, uh, pretty much birth, Cu?

That doesn't make me an expert on the Gods. That came with hard work.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:30 pm
CuAnnan
Nines19
CuAnnan
Chieftain Twilight

That doesn't make me an expert on the Gods. That came with hard work.

I understand, though I might make the assumption that you began your hard work long before Twilight (as he has stated he has been researching, etc. for two years) and that such may affect your qualifications versus his.  

Nines19

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:06 pm
hello everyone, i am doing what i (obviously i am sure you have noticed by now) hate to do the most... laying myself humbly to appologize and accept that i was wrong. to be on the safe side i'm gonna take a few days off from posting here, and in that time i will be doing more research, with the source syou have provided here, and any others that you guys would be willing to send my way. it will be greatly appreciated. again i am sorry for my tantrum, that wasvery childish of me. ugh... i hate the feeling of humility. xp it's so... humiliating...  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:53 pm
You should try being right and obstinate, I much prefer it to such nonsense as this.  

CH1YO

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:51 pm
CH1YO
You should try being right and obstinate, I much prefer it to such nonsense as this.

Twilight should try to be right and stubborn?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:55 pm
Chieftain Twilight
hello everyone, i am doing what i (obviously i am sure you have noticed by now) hate to do the most... laying myself humbly to appologize and accept that i was wrong. to be on the safe side i'm gonna take a few days off from posting here, and in that time i will be doing more research, with the source syou have provided here, and any others that you guys would be willing to send my way. it will be greatly appreciated. again i am sorry for my tantrum, that wasvery childish of me. ugh... i hate the feeling of humility. xp it's so... humiliating...

Humility can be a good thing and we should all try it from time to time. It's very big of you to apologize and to look at the sites that others have provided.  

Semiremis
Captain

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 pm
heart Some super quotes going on here.

Tolerance isn't optional... it's necessary. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:23 pm
Sailor_Solitaire
Tolerance isn't optional... it's necessary.

You are tolerant of rapists?
How about serial killers?
And child abusers?

Tolerance isn't optional... it's abhorrant.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:35 pm
CuAnnan
Sailor_Solitaire

And child abusers?

How so?

How does a persons actions=one's beliefs?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:48 pm
CuAnnan
Sailor_Solitaire

And child abusers?

*nods* There are a lot of things in this world that shouldn't be tolerated, the above mentioned actions are just a few of them.

It however seemed like Sailor_Solitaire was referring to religious beliefs and not actions but I could be wrong.  

Semiremis
Captain

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:53 pm
CuAnnan
Sailor_Solitaire

And child abusers?

While I agree with your intent, I do believe we should amend this statement by defining a line where tolerance is allowed and not.

Tolerance of others' ideas (assuming that healthy integrity and rationality allow them or do not apply) is necessary in some environments. Sometimes, I've had to tolerate folks or ideas that I don't agree with or like, simply to keep from making a mess - but tolerance isn't necessarily agreement.

The most tolerant we should be towards people who exhibit such harmful behaviors is treating them as "sick" and in need of "treatment". For many instances, even that much tolerance starts pushing reason aside.

Sometimes, accepting that someone refuses to do their homework is the only thing we can do. Then we can rejoice when someone who based their identity on misinformation opens up to more grounded ideas.

Sometimes the integrity we strive for makes us demand that someone gives up who they have become - which is a tough thing to demand of anyone. Such an experience is painful enough to cause perceived disrespect even where there is nothing but understanding and honesty.

Adding real disrespect only serves to validate the misnomers that we seek to abolish. While this may be old hat to a few who have done this well, I'm asking everyone to keep it in mind.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:13 pm
heart CuAnnan... I would think you would be wise enough to take my statement into the context of religion... seeing as how this thread is religiously based. The fact that you slammed my religious remark against things like rape, murder, and child abuse, says a great deal about extremism on your behalf. heart  

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:32 pm
Sailor_Solitaire
heart CuAnnan... I would think you would be wise enough to take my statement into the context of religion... seeing as how this thread is religiously based. The fact that you slammed my religious remark against things like rape, murder, and child abuse, says a great deal about extremism on your behalf. heart
I think it has to do with certain cults like the FLDS and Frostian Wiccans for example that do rape little children and what not.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff