Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:38 am
Shuma-Gorath
Roninofthewest
nightwing773
aikido does not suck, it's different yes, and not nessecerily practial in all ways, and by no means is it any better than any other martial arts, but some of us here do study it, I do, and have instructor level in it, it's worth the time invested in it, don't criticize something you don't know much about. Yeah, no kicks. Whoop de do. Not a flying jackie chan art, no, but I do say a master who thinks they are unbeatable is selfish, vain and that they are the ones who give any art a bad name. Just don't let the pot call the kettle black. Aikido is simply the art of joint manipulation, pressure points and defensive maneuvers, not really mystical, just physics and the strucuture of the human body. By the time you hit black belt in aikido, you'll know alot about the way the human body works, and how to keep people from using certain moves on you. I use in in live fights with no rules, if someone come at you with fists, use a two handed grip throw and get them 5 feet away from you so it takes them long enough to get up that you can leave. By no means is aikido perfect, but it's no worse than any other art by any means.

(cheers) well said. im sorry to say im not very familier with Aikido. In the video he looks like hes just waving his hands and his "students" just drop.
I presume that this is not the real way that Aikido is saposed to be used is it?
Oh, and Shuma-Gorath. If all your going to do is complain about everyone elses "EFFIN" coments then go hug your damn teddy bear and shut up. Dont bother writing a nasty letter to me either, because im not going to read it. Please add somthing good to the conversation or leave it alone.
What makes you think that you're opinion is even worth noting? This thread was made for the specific purpose of showing how Aikido blows, and everyone comes in shouting "That's not how a real master does it. That's not the real Aikido. That's not the real Ki/Qi/Chi".

That video does not show how Aikido blows, it shows how that PRACTITIONER blows, plus, that video was blatantly done as a joke.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:02 am
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Roninofthewest
nightwing773
aikido does not suck, it's different yes, and not nessecerily practial in all ways, and by no means is it any better than any other martial arts, but some of us here do study it, I do, and have instructor level in it, it's worth the time invested in it, don't criticize something you don't know much about. Yeah, no kicks. Whoop de do. Not a flying jackie chan art, no, but I do say a master who thinks they are unbeatable is selfish, vain and that they are the ones who give any art a bad name. Just don't let the pot call the kettle black. Aikido is simply the art of joint manipulation, pressure points and defensive maneuvers, not really mystical, just physics and the strucuture of the human body. By the time you hit black belt in aikido, you'll know alot about the way the human body works, and how to keep people from using certain moves on you. I use in in live fights with no rules, if someone come at you with fists, use a two handed grip throw and get them 5 feet away from you so it takes them long enough to get up that you can leave. By no means is aikido perfect, but it's no worse than any other art by any means.

(cheers) well said. im sorry to say im not very familier with Aikido. In the video he looks like hes just waving his hands and his "students" just drop.
I presume that this is not the real way that Aikido is saposed to be used is it?
Oh, and Shuma-Gorath. If all your going to do is complain about everyone elses "EFFIN" coments then go hug your damn teddy bear and shut up. Dont bother writing a nasty letter to me either, because im not going to read it. Please add somthing good to the conversation or leave it alone.
What makes you think that you're opinion is even worth noting? This thread was made for the specific purpose of showing how Aikido blows, and everyone comes in shouting "That's not how a real master does it. That's not the real Aikido. That's not the real Ki/Qi/Chi".

That video does not show how Aikido blows, it shows how that PRACTITIONER blows, plus, that video was blatantly done as a joke.
Prove that it was blatantly done as a joke.  

Shuma-Gorath

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:18 am
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Roninofthewest
nightwing773

Prove that it wasn't. They say this guy challenged some other guy, look at what happens at 00.25, WTF, the guy was on the opposite side of the mat and the guy was punching air, I didn't agtually see any Aikido in that footage, he didn't even take an Aikido stance. That was a complete joke! Although if the master was doing it for reall, I'll give you this, he SUCKED! But at the beginning I got really confused and laughed at it, it seemed like it was meant to be a funny video. So, it still only shows that that guy sucks not the style itself.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:28 am
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Roninofthewest
nightwing773

Prove that it wasn't. They say this guy challenged some other guy, look at what happens at 00.25, WTF, the guy was on the opposite side of the mat and the guy was punching air, I didn't agtually see any Aikido in that footage, he didn't even take an Aikido stance. That was a complete joke!
First off, I don't have to prove anything since you claimed it was a joke first. Second, I never said it was Aikido. He is doing no touch knockouts, not exactly a trait of Aikido. Third, yes I did say Aikido sucks, and I still stick by that. I contested your statement that this video is a joke. Do you speak Japanese? Can you translate what they are saying?  

Shuma-Gorath

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:32 am
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

Prove that it wasn't. They say this guy challenged some other guy, look at what happens at 00.25, WTF, the guy was on the opposite side of the mat and the guy was punching air, I didn't agtually see any Aikido in that footage, he didn't even take an Aikido stance. That was a complete joke!
First off, I don't have to prove anything since you claimed it was a joke first. Second, I never said it was Aikido. He is doing no touch knockouts, not exactly a trait of Aikido. Third, yes I did say Aikido sucks, and I still stick by that. I contested your statement that this video is a joke. Do you speak Japanese? Can you translate what they are saying?

No, what would that matter? (p.s. I like how the MMA fighter apologises for hitting him in the face)  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

No, what would that matter? (p.s. I like how the MMA fighter apologises for hitting him in the face)
Then you obviously don't know if it's a joke, and shouldn't make afformentioned claims.  

Shuma-Gorath

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:36 am
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

Then you obviously don't know if it's a joke, and shouldn't make afformentioned claims.

No the fact that I believe it is a joke, does not make it so, it does not say if it is a joke or not, i was stating my opinoin as were you.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:41 am
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

No the fact that I believe it is a joke, does not make it so, it does not say if it is a joke or not, i was stating my opinoin as were you.
You said "It was blatantly done as a joke". That's more of a claim than an opinion.  

Shuma-Gorath

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:47 am
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

You said "It was blatantly done as a joke". That's more of a claim than an opinion.

I said that because I believed that it was so obvious! Plus, I'm bored now....  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:02 pm
What's so obvious about it that makes it seem like a joke? The idea that there are actually martial artists who think they can perform no touch knockouts?

In that case, yes, those martial artists are riddiculous...the sad thing is that there are actually instructors who believe they are capable of such things and throngs of naive students who buy into the bullshit.

It's merely an extreme example of how naive the martial arts community can be at times, no different really from martial artists who spend all day talking about streetfighting when they don't even spar, or believe they're modern day samurais or something of the like.  

TaeKyon

Uriko1.0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:03 pm
Was that vid for real at the beginning????  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:31 pm
User Image  

Shuma-Gorath

ArtHic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:09 pm
Hylonomus
If you pit a pure fighter vs a mixed one the mixed will always win, it's very simple. No fighting style covers everything you need to know, punches, kicks, strikes, grapples, throws, locks, ect. It's better to have a wide range of training for every situation in the fight, then just rely on you opponent only coming at you with what your used to training against.

Depends on the rules.
A fighter will overcome an athlete in a no rules match, but he has little chance in an athletic setting. A lot of kung fu styles emphasize on striking weak spots. If you add rules to avoid injuries, well...
A lot of people mistake MMA as combat. They are not, at least in the way they are practiced today (kick boxing plus grappling).
In other words: A kick in the groin ends whatever dispute.

PS: Most internal martial arts cover every aspect of fighting.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:26 pm
Shuma-Gorath
nightwing773
uh, yes. martial arts isn't just about people beating each other up, it's about knowing how to defend yourself, but avoiding the situation where you need to. Martial arts is made up of mental aspects, not just physical, and it makes you a better person in general if you accept that. Katsu Hayabi is a principle taught in Aikido, check it out.

You haven't grasped the concept of MARTIAL ARTS.

MARTIAL ARTS are NOT about avoiding fights, they are about fighting in general. HENCE THE TERM MARTIAL. I don't see what is so hard about this. Punching equals hurt, kicking equals hurt, throwing equals hurt, grappling equals hurt. YOU DON'T EFFIN LEARN TO HURT PEOPLE IN ORDER TO BE A BETTER PERSON. GET THE EFF OVER IT.

Oh, and Aikido DOES suck. In fact, I almost see no obligation to call it a Martial Art anymore.

Actually, martial arts are practiced in order to keep yourself alive. Since you use the term martial, which derives from Mars - The god of war - you should know that punching and kicking does little to no good when the other person comes at you holding a knife or a gun.
And they will come at you armed if they judge you as a threat because of your training. It is only natural to try and gain the advantage. Even in MMA the mount (on top) is strategicaly the best position.
Now the true merrit of Aikido is this: it teaches relaxation and self control. In the army they instructed us to be calm when shooting. Modern fighting sports do not have a curriculum for this; they rely on adrenalin, which again is very natural.
Furthermore do not expect Aikido or any other Art to be taught publicly on its all. A lot of masters keep secrets for themselves. Yould you give your gun to somebody else?
Finally I have to say that a lot of the so called "masters" do fail to meet expectations. But I cannot accuse the art of Aikido. From the other hand I've seen kick boxers and strong-men humbled by the likes of older and more fragile practitioners of 'subtle' martial arts. You do not want to mess with those guys. But you can always share a joke with them.  

ArtHic

Tatsuya_Kawajiri

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:12 pm
Holy ********, this thread is hilarious.  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff