Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre
Disney and Dreamworks Cosplayers! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:00 pm
I'm doing a Snow White cosplay with a feminist/knight twist. Just wondering, if anyone had any suggestions for a simpler cosplay for a friend who is coming with me? This would be one of our first cosplays as I am trying to get her interested in it.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:50 pm
Prays For Sanity
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
Yes, I am looking for makeup or body paint to pale myself out as you put it. I have the typical Pakistani coloring. I am looking for hopefully something a bit long lasting that doesn't smear/smudge as it is meant for a 5 day convention this summer.
Normally, I wouldn't change my skin tone for a cosplay unless it was something like Avatar with their blue skin, but Snow White is known for her 'skin as white as snow' and also I am doing a twist on her classical costume, so I need to keep a few characteristics of hers to be recognizable. I'm planning to have her 'rose red lips,' curly black hair' and hopefully her snow skin.
Thank you for your help.

Depending on what you use, you can actually try using wax as a base. Not only will this help to prevent smudges, it also helps guard against sweat and runny makeup. I use wax as a base for my full-body makeup anymore as it gives a long lasting effect and minimizes smudging and smearing. I used it on my dragonborn and it was still summer. We had our shoot outside and the makeup held up super well. I used a white kabuki makeup base mixed with color pigments to get the darker shade. Then I just used regular eye shadow, blush, and eyeliner for shading and contouring just as I would on my normal skin.

If you are just looking for long-lasting, you can certainly take tips from other posters in response to you and you can also try the wax base if you are going to go with liquid or paint-like makeup. You can also try lighter foundations and powders (you can find white powder especially for theater) to help lighten your skintone in a more "natural" look kind of way.

Thank you for the advice. What wax are you talking about? This is the first I have heard of anything like that. Which makeup brands would you recommend?

The wax base is a Mitsuyoshi Japanese brand that is used in Kabuki theater, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. Its called an abura base. You can find them floating around online. Shiseido also carries kabuki abura base makeup and generally cheaper than Mitsuyoshi. Oftentimes you can find it as a set with shiro nuri.

I also agree with xXButterflied MemoriesXx. You really shouldn't leave any form of makeup on for more than you have to, let alone 5 days. That is horrible for your skin health. A silicone sealer is a good idea. As with any makeup, you will have to continue to reapply the seal or even touch up your makeup from time to time. That is a normal thing with makeup.

The wax base sounds pretty useful, but I am having trouble finding it. Could you please send me links for the places you have brought it? I tried looking online, but the only places I could find it were charging $35+ for it.
I'm not going to wear makeup the whole 5 days. I was just hoping for something to last more than a few hours without constant touch ups. Ideally, I want something to last the whole day with only 1 or 2 touch ups. I may go with the silicone sealer and some alcohol based make up, depending if I can find the wax base for not a too expensive price.
Thanks for the help. Any suggestions for how I can pale my hands and stillness able to touch things?

I bought a good supply while I was in Japan, but ebay does carry it as a set with the shiro nuri geiko makeup for a good price. But you may not be able to find it for very cheap. The plus side is that it does eliminate the need to constantly touch up your makeup and prevents makeup from being instantly ruined by sweat. So the amount you get will last you. Mine was a small amount and it has lasted me three years so far. So you really get what you pay for. I recommend it for long term use rather than short term because of the cost.

I say to go with the silicone sealer and alcohol based makeup. I dont wear either because I use the kabuki makeup instead, but cost-effective would be the silicone and alcohol based. smile

Hands in general are tough because you will constantly be using them through the day, so any makeup you apply to them will rub off eventually. I wouldn't go with a cream makeup for your hands as it can not only be messy but also potentially ruin anything you touch, but try some sort of powder-based or drying liquid makeup. This is what we use for the stage when we dance, so maybe you can find something similar to that for a cheaper price. It goes on like a liquid but dries and mattes like a powder. We use this for our hands instead of the cream-based shiro nuri.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Geisha-Maiko-SHIRO-NURI-Pro-Liquid-Body-Makeup-/290368350784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439b4d6a40

Other makeup artists here will probably have a wider variety of things to suggest. I tend to use these types of makeup because they last and are effective in getting a realistic, skin-tone look without rubbing off easily or being shiny (as the shiro nuri dries matte), and I have used them for years with training and practice. It may not be for everyone, especially someone who is newer to the scene. smile  

Rogue-dono

Beloved Vampire

8,500 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Divine Donator 100

AuroraDyne

Beloved Lover

10,350 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:13 pm
Prays For Sanity

I am going to apply my makeup every day, but I was just looking for a way so that it would ideally last a whole day with only 1 or 2 touch ups. I am going to be in a warm environment, so I am worried about heat and sweat.
Skin color wise, I am thinking along the lines of the Geishas with lips as shown below. Which silicone seal do you recommend? How exactly do you apply it?
Do you know any good brands of alcohol based makeup? Also, do you happen to have any suggestions for me to be able to pale my hands and still be able to touch things?
I am sorry about all the questions, but this is my first big cosplay and I have been planning and designing it for years, so I am worried as I will be presenting it while abroad. Thanks for the advice.

it's perfectly fine. honestly i bug my friend whose a prop maker for hours on end when i try to make props lol

Anything around the face and on the hands will have to be touched up more than once or twice depending on how often you are actually touching items, the pain of make up.

Silicon seals come in spray able form so it's just a little spray bottle that you would spritz along your body where the make up is. they can get pricy, these are some alternatives. these are from a local store near me. i do not know the shipping policy but i'm sure you can find these on other sites. it'd be best to use a spray like this on the body over a setting powder, while the spray for your face make up should be an alcohol based, honestly my favorite one i use i bought at icings and is called "dancing the night away" it's made to keep make up on. one little bottle has lasted me about 4 years.

http://gypsytreasure.com/ultra-setting-spray-9291-p-2109.html?zenid=c893d294898cf59933b35fcf2dff08b0
http://gypsytreasure.com/barrier-spray-145-p-770.html?zenid=c893d294898cf59933b35fcf2dff08b0
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=89139442 - alcohol based spray

as for alcohol based make up, the only kind i use is for an airbrush. i have not come across it in any other forms yet (the joys of being a make up artist, having to much junk and never the right stuff XD) i will keep an eye out though.

as for body paint styled items
Rogue-dono
might have a bit more experience with it, i have yet to do bodypaint and will be learning it in the summer for a MH costume. I do know that my friends who do body paints use a special setting powder to set their paint making it last longer.
http://gypsytreasure.com/neutral-set-136-p-757.html?zenid=c893d294898cf59933b35fcf2dff08b0 i believe this is the one that they use.

to do a geisha styled face make up though, you will be wearing a heavier make up making it easier to sweat off though, so make you at least have setting powder, it will help absorb any moister that may be lingering  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 am
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
Rogue-dono
Prays For Sanity
Yes, I am looking for makeup or body paint to pale myself out as you put it. I have the typical Pakistani coloring. I am looking for hopefully something a bit long lasting that doesn't smear/smudge as it is meant for a 5 day convention this summer.
Normally, I wouldn't change my skin tone for a cosplay unless it was something like Avatar with their blue skin, but Snow White is known for her 'skin as white as snow' and also I am doing a twist on her classical costume, so I need to keep a few characteristics of hers to be recognizable. I'm planning to have her 'rose red lips,' curly black hair' and hopefully her snow skin.
Thank you for your help.
Depending on what you use, you can actually try using wax as a base. Not only will this help to prevent smudges, it also helps guard against sweat and runny makeup. I use wax as a base for my full-body makeup anymore as it gives a long lasting effect and minimizes smudging and smearing. I used it on my dragonborn and it was still summer. We had our shoot outside and the makeup held up super well. I used a white kabuki makeup base mixed with color pigments to get the darker shade. Then I just used regular eye shadow, blush, and eyeliner for shading and contouring just as I would on my normal skin.

If you are just looking for long-lasting, you can certainly take tips from other posters in response to you and you can also try the wax base if you are going to go with liquid or paint-like makeup. You can also try lighter foundations and powders (you can find white powder especially for theater) to help lighten your skintone in a more "natural" look kind of way.
Thank you for the advice. What wax are you talking about? This is the first I have heard of anything like that. Which makeup brands would you recommend?
The wax base is a Mitsuyoshi Japanese brand that is used in Kabuki theater, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. Its called an abura base. You can find them floating around online. Shiseido also carries kabuki abura base makeup and generally cheaper than Mitsuyoshi. Oftentimes you can find it as a set with shiro nuri.

I also agree with xXButterflied MemoriesXx. You really shouldn't leave any form of makeup on for more than you have to, let alone 5 days. That is horrible for your skin health. A silicone sealer is a good idea. As with any makeup, you will have to continue to reapply the seal or even touch up your makeup from time to time. That is a normal thing with makeup.
The wax base sounds pretty useful, but I am having trouble finding it. Could you please send me links for the places you have brought it? I tried looking online, but the only places I could find it were charging $35+ for it.
I'm not going to wear makeup the whole 5 days. I was just hoping for something to last more than a few hours without constant touch ups. Ideally, I want something to last the whole day with only 1 or 2 touch ups. I may go with the silicone sealer and some alcohol based make up, depending if I can find the wax base for not a too expensive price.
Thanks for the help. Any suggestions for how I can pale my hands and stillness able to touch things?

I bought a good supply while I was in Japan, but ebay does carry it as a set with the shiro nuri geiko makeup for a good price. But you may not be able to find it for very cheap. The plus side is that it does eliminate the need to constantly touch up your makeup and prevents makeup from being instantly ruined by sweat. So the amount you get will last you. Mine was a small amount and it has lasted me three years so far. So you really get what you pay for. I recommend it for long term use rather than short term because of the cost.

I say to go with the silicone sealer and alcohol based makeup. I dont wear either because I use the kabuki makeup instead, but cost-effective would be the silicone and alcohol based. smile

Hands in general are tough because you will constantly be using them through the day, so any makeup you apply to them will rub off eventually. I wouldn't go with a cream makeup for your hands as it can not only be messy but also potentially ruin anything you touch, but try some sort of powder-based or drying liquid makeup. This is what we use for the stage when we dance, so maybe you can find something similar to that for a cheaper price. It goes on like a liquid but dries and mattes like a powder. We use this for our hands instead of the cream-based shiro nuri.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Geisha-Maiko-SHIRO-NURI-Pro-Liquid-Body-Makeup-/290368350784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439b4d6a40

Other makeup artists here will probably have a wider variety of things to suggest. I tend to use these types of makeup because they last and are effective in getting a realistic, skin-tone look without rubbing off easily or being shiny (as the shiro nuri dries matte), and I have used them for years with training and practice. It may not be for everyone, especially someone who is newer to the scene. smile

I think that they may be a bit expensive for the short time use I will be doing. I agree that it would probably be best to use a combination of silicone sealer and alcohol based makeup or body paint. Just trying to figure out how to apply them as will be staying in a hotel.
Thank you so much for all your help and advice.  

Prays For Sanity

Prays For Sanity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:31 am
xXButterflied MemoriesXx
Prays For Sanity

I am going to apply my makeup every day, but I was just looking for a way so that it would ideally last a whole day with only 1 or 2 touch ups. I am going to be in a warm environment, so I am worried about heat and sweat.
Skin color wise, I am thinking along the lines of the Geishas with lips as shown below. Which silicone seal do you recommend? How exactly do you apply it?
Do you know any good brands of alcohol based makeup? Also, do you happen to have any suggestions for me to be able to pale my hands and still be able to touch things?
I am sorry about all the questions, but this is my first big cosplay and I have been planning and designing it for years, so I am worried as I will be presenting it while abroad. Thanks for the advice.

it's perfectly fine. honestly i bug my friend whose a prop maker for hours on end when i try to make props lol

Anything around the face and on the hands will have to be touched up more than once or twice depending on how often you are actually touching items, the pain of make up.

Silicon seals come in spray able form so it's just a little spray bottle that you would spritz along your body where the make up is. they can get pricy, these are some alternatives. these are from a local store near me. i do not know the shipping policy but i'm sure you can find these on other sites. it'd be best to use a spray like this on the body over a setting powder, while the spray for your face make up should be an alcohol based, honestly my favorite one i use i bought at icings and is called "dancing the night away" it's made to keep make up on. one little bottle has lasted me about 4 years.

http://gypsytreasure.com/ultra-setting-spray-9291-p-2109.html?zenid=c893d294898cf59933b35fcf2dff08b0
http://gypsytreasure.com/barrier-spray-145-p-770.html?zenid=c893d294898cf59933b35fcf2dff08b0
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=89139442 - alcohol based spray

as for alcohol based make up, the only kind i use is for an airbrush. i have not come across it in any other forms yet (the joys of being a make up artist, having to much junk and never the right stuff XD) i will keep an eye out though.

as for body paint styled items
Rogue-dono
might have a bit more experience with it, i have yet to do bodypaint and will be learning it in the summer for a MH costume. I do know that my friends who do body paints use a special setting powder to set their paint making it last longer.
http://gypsytreasure.com/neutral-set-136-p-757.html?zenid=c893d294898cf59933b35fcf2dff08b0 i believe this is the one that they use.

to do a geisha styled face make up though, you will be wearing a heavier make up making it easier to sweat off though, so make you at least have setting powder, it will help absorb any moister that may be lingering

Thanks. smile
Those seem to be quite good. It does ship internationally, but my dad is also staying the States, so I could ship it to him.
I think I may do makeup for my face and neck, while having body paint on my arms and hands. Then have a setting powder and silicon seal spray on top. Just trying to figure out how to apply them as I will be staying in a hotel. If I use normal makeup and body paint with an alcohol based setting powder and silicon spray on top, would it still last the day?
I'm not planning to do geisha style makeup, just that color in a thinner form. Right now, the plan is setting powder underneath, makeup on my face and neck, body paint on arms and hands, and finally more setting powder and silicon seal on top. The biggest issue I am having is figuring out the best way to apply it while I will be staying in a hotel.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:40 am
I'm starting on a Meg cosplay from Hercules soon. Then I'll also be making a genderbent Hades from Hercules as well.  

BrideofLoki13

Fallen Superfan

6,050 Points
  • Powerful Legion 100
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Hesitant Participant 100

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:45 pm
I have Merida done but I need to take it in again because I lost weight since I made it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 pm
I should have just uploaded it here... *thinks to myself*
I cosplayed as Cinderella at work! Since that's the new movie all the kids are into (other than Frozen). I had a blast!

Here are pics of me as Cinderella:

User Image
User Image

(don't mid my neck band.. I don't know why they made it so wide and bedazzled lol)

Hey! You look great! You look like you're having a great time!!!  

Starz-N-Madness
Crew

Beloved Star

7,500 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tipsy 100

Blood_Red_Moon_Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:00 pm
So I realized that I never actually posted a picture of my Merida cosplay so here's a picture of me reading Brave to a group of kids.

User Image

Comic Con, Sci Fi, Horror, Fantasy, & Disney Genre

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces