Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Foods of your culture? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Medias Res II

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:52 pm
lil_miss_aquarius
Canadians eat a lot of poutine. I thought it was a normal food but apparently it is pretty specific to Canada. For anybody who doesn't know it is fries covered in gravy and then cheese melted over it.

I HATE poutine.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:06 pm
My family's food is kinda southern inspired. Ham, beef, pork, rice, potatoes, and lots of green vegetables. Because my Dad and sister are allergic to cow's milk, we put a lot of goat cheese in our diet.

The only thing I can think of that is really special is Yorkshire Pudding, which we make every Christmas. (Basically, it's egg, flour, and butter baked to a lump of grease, and it makes you sick, but it tastes so good.)  

GreenEyedDryad

tiramisukitty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:41 pm
PiercedPixie2
Die Ruhe
California has...fast food? x_X; Someone told me once that So. Cal. is one of the biggest melting pots in either the world or the US, so we really do have a little bit of everything. I guess you could say Mexican food is the regional food because we're so close, but half the stuff we have here isn't actually real Mexican food. It's also not uncommon to find Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and Indian restaurants lined up next to an Irish Pub and a hot dog or hamburger joint all on one street.

As for my family, we've cooked everything from enchiladas to Sheppard's pie, so I can't say we really have any food traditions. Just whatever sounds good at the moment.
=3

California eh? Well I'll tell you what southerners have heard, that you guys have like...fish taco stands, is that true? XD

I haven't seen any, but it's certainly popular. There is a great Mexican chain that has great fish tacos. But So Cal has mostly Mexican food and about any other type of food you can imagine; Greek, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, etc.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:45 pm
In Medias Res II
lil_miss_aquarius
Canadians eat a lot of poutine. I thought it was a normal food but apparently it is pretty specific to Canada. For anybody who doesn't know it is fries covered in gravy and then cheese melted over it.

I HATE poutine.

Ive not had it, but that sounds SOOO disgusting XD  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

Moscow Lullaby

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:08 am
Zapekanka and Syrniky smile Both are made from cottage cheese.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:10 pm
User Image

In the Bay Area of California, we eat everyone ELSE'S food XD! Generally, clam chowder is popular around here. As for my culture, I don't really have any good cultural food. The only thing I can think of is hard tac.

User Image

A I J I N Incubus

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:07 pm
A I J I N Incubus
User Image

In the Bay Area of California, we eat everyone ELSE'S food XD! Generally, clam chowder is popular around here. As for my culture, I don't really have any good cultural food. The only thing I can think of is hard tac.

User Image

Clam chowder is great x3
Though i do prefer the red 'Manhattan clam chowder'  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:07 pm
Hello,

I live in Brazil and the food here is very good, is only half a "heavy".
One of the dishes we usually eat here is the barbecue (beef roast in the "hot") with Baião (mixed rice with beans) and fried macaxeira (is like potato chips).

I also like a dish called Chicken japenês Chess is a kind Shoya boiled chicken with sauce and ketchup.  

ll ElliE ll

-PH-Mandirigma-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 pm
People of the Philippines Love Spicy Food and somewhat Exotic blaugh

And we usually eat using our hands 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:12 pm
I'm Korean, and my family mostly eats Korean food ^^;
I know that Koreans just love their spicy foods, but my family is unfortunately unable to eat alot of spicy stuff because we get. um. *cough* complications.

Anyways.

I guess that my family basically lives on kimchee (big surprise? xD), various kinds of soups that are eaten with rice, and leafy greens that are boiled and then mixed/flavored with sesame seeds and a bit of salt or hot pepper paste, oh, and don't forget the tofu and eggs~ It seems that all my Korean friend's families eat alot of meat, but for some reason my family doesn't o-0;

And to the disgust of my dad, I've acquired a taste of natto and umeboshi (both Japanese foods that my dad can't stand) and I've almost insisted on eating them at the dinner table at least twice a week. Oh well blaugh

By the way, all this talk about fish tacos.. Two of my friends who live in SoCal were taunting me with talks about it ;__; God, I want to try some scream

Sleeping Doll

Sugarpuffiepixie

Shirtless Fairy

8,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 am
CruellaDevil says:

(=^_^=)<3
-PH-Mandirigma-
People of the Philippines Love Spicy Food and somewhat Exotic blaugh

And we usually eat using our hands 3nodding

Rather interesting! I have always wanted to taste Spicy food ^^;<3(=^_^=)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:22 am
CruellaDevil says:

(=^_^=)<3 In my country, Greece, we are famous for our patsa (lol it smells horroble). This food is... well, it's the stomach of animals boiled with nothing more than salt (it's bliah, anyways). Also, greek people love mousaka (Greek mousaka, if you have in mind). It's made of potatoes and a vegetable named melitzana, along with meat parts and cream! Yummie! xp <3(=^_^=)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Sugarpuffiepixie

Shirtless Fairy

8,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Korilassical

Godly Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:17 am
User Image

In India, we're responsible for makin foods that are spicy and filled with curry ^^
My favorite is a Gujrati dish called Pani Puri. It taste REALLY good, and you mix small chickpeas and potatoes with a masala made from crushed peppers, salt, and regular pepper. The water that you add is also spicy which makes it really tasty ^^.

om bhur bhuvah svah
tat savitur vareniyam
bhargo devasya dhimahi
dhiyo yo nah prachodayat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 pm
Sleeping Doll

And to the disgust of my dad, I've acquired a taste of natto and umeboshi (both Japanese foods that my dad can't stand) and I've almost insisted on eating them at the dinner table at least twice a week. Oh well blaugh
User Image

I applaud you for being able to stand natto. That stuff is putrid in my opinion XD! The consistency is soo... gooey and it gets stuck to my mouth. However, I ALWAYS eat it when it's served. You know, common courtesy ^__^;.

But I like umeboshi as well. Though, they can get a little sour sometimes. Do you eat them straight or in your onigiri?

-is such a nerd for Japanese cuisine-

User Image

A I J I N Incubus

runkar

Mega Noob

8,800 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:57 am
Here is some: Karelian pies and reindeer fry  
The World Mosaic