Welcome to Gaia! ::

::Rpgs R Us:: *Escape Reality*Enter Imagination*

Back to Guilds

RPing guild with high literacy and zero slave or vampire RPs. Come help us grow! 

Tags: X-Men, Cowboy Bebop, Final Fantasy, Arabian, Pokemon 

Reply Rpgs R Us
RPG Suggestion - The "Harry Potter" RP Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BonzaiRob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:44 am
Dresden's a city in Germany that we bombed fairly famously in WW2. Also the Dresden Dolls XD

I'm guessing we've all read the seventh book? So much for that order of the phoenix plan in the first post.

Ryu, I think pretty much the same, though my impression at the end was that they were all written in the past and the epilogue was the present. No-one has computers, even in the muggle world, and there's no mention of handheld gaming devices (though saying that, I doubt Hogwarts has plug-sockets). Anyway, that would all put it in the past for me.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:21 pm
Actually, there was mention of modern electronics every now and then, namely in the fourth book. The Hogwarts years took place from 1991-1998, so I'm pretty sure that plenty of Muggles had them, whether we heard about the specific devices or not. No handheld gaming devices were mentioned, but in GoF, Harry did write about how Dudley chucked his Playstation out the window in protest of his diet...and later in the book, Harry and Hermione discussed electronic bugging. Given that, the epilogue lands us in 2017, which is why JC tossed out 2020 as a possible year for us...not quite the present, but the [relatively] near future.

And yes, I believe we've all read the 7th book...except Ryu, but he knows what happens anyways.  

Elfgirl M-chan
Captain

Ryushikaze
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:23 pm
Elfgirl M-chan
Actually, there was mention of modern electronics every now and then, namely in the fourth book. The Hogwarts years took place from 1991-1998, so I'm pretty sure that plenty of Muggles had them, whether we heard about the specific devices or not. No handheld gaming devices were mentioned, but in GoF, Harry did write about how Dudley chucked his Playstation out the window in protest of his diet...and later in the book, Harry and Hermione discussed electronic bugging. Given that, the epilogue lands us in 2017, which is why JC tossed out 2020 as a possible year for us...not quite the present, but the [relatively] near future.

And yes, I believe we've all read the 7th book...except Ryu, but he knows what happens anyways.

And I knew it before the book was out. I mean really. Good writing, but equation plot.

And no, Rob. That's not it. Think... well, think Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:14 am
Ohh, ok, got it now. Just googled. Sounds like an interesting series.  

BonzaiRob

Heofthehills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:22 pm
Is there a reason this thread died? Did the interest die when the series ended?

I'm in, if it goes, fyi.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:00 pm
I don't believe interest in it died along with the thread...we just kind of left it on pause since the suggestion had yet to get its 5th yes vote. That, and you know how busy JC's been this fall. (Him and everyone else, really. ^^())

Which...if you are indeed voting yes, and JC is indeed still interesting in running this thing...then we've got an approved RPG that just needs to be officially set up... whee  

Elfgirl M-chan
Captain

Ryushikaze
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:18 pm
It also needs a name, and a few questions answered, most of those, however, I plan on addressing to JC hisself once he returns, so I shall leave them unasked as for now.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:25 pm
Yeah, by 'officially set up,' in addition to JC fine-tuning the overall design and plot, I meant for that to include the title of the RPG as well. He and I have lightly discussed it given this recent development. Everything will be taken care of before a new forum is even considered as anything past a thought.

He'll be around shortly... ninja  

Elfgirl M-chan
Captain

kodokunakitsune

1,150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:34 pm
*waves* Yeah, I am here.

The name for the RPG was going to change without anyone asking recently because of the earlier confusion! But yeah...

I definitely need to do some plot work and establish a little bit more of the class and actual rp portions of the thing still before I am ready (besides getting my own characters...) but I am anticipating being ready January at the latest... (hopefully)  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:22 pm
Ok, so I am fairly confident that I am 80% ready. I would like to run the background by those who are still interested and get any comments on anything you would like to see more explanation of, and then I will be ready. So... without further ado...

The new title I have come up with is Witchcraft and Wizardry. (ok?)

The following is the intended background. Sign-ups will be a fake application for enrollment as a student.

This RP is based off of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books. It functions in a similar fashion to her books, but includes none of her characters. This also does not take place in England, or within her timeline. It takes place in the Western portion of the United States, and a couple of years into our future. “Where exactly,” you may ask. “Well,” I would answer, “we can’t tell you that or it wouldn’t be a very safe school of magic now would it? Besides, I am not the secret keeper.”
The school to which you are applying, is a well-established upper level (6th and 7th years) magic school. It is known throughout the country as one of the best in the U.S. Because of its prestige, the application you must fill out is somewhat more extensive. While you are filling out your application to the Rainier Magical Institute, the Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress are preparing to receive and peruse applications in the Headmaster’s office. They sit discussing the changes in the Governments (both magical and non-magical) and the changing political atmosphere of our Age.
It all sparked off the terrorist attack. The President (non-magic), fearing magical influences in the attack, informed key members of cabinet about the existence of the magical world. Before this, the President was the only one that had knowledge of the magical world. The situation and anxiety in both cabinets snowballed out of control until the Presidents and their cabinets met and signed an accord in Salem, VA in 2003. The new legally and magically binding accord established better communications between the two bodies, which until then, was the job of one aide. The then-newly established Department of Magical Coexistence (or DMC) consists of representatives of both magical and non-magical communities and serves to increase general awareness amongst the ruling bodies, of the different customs, laws, and procedures in place.
The Magical Government has also changed over the recent years. New laws have been passed dealing with the rights and treatment of Magical Beings. In the aftermath of the terrorist attack, and heightened awareness of the differences between Magical Beings, the Magical Government passed new laws granting right and privileges to werewolves, and some other Sentient Magical Beings. Most however, still separate themselves from society as a whole.
The two professors also discuss the latest information they have received about the newly formed Department for the Investigation of Magic (or DIM). This new department was secretly formed by concerned non-magic higher-ups, who wanted to have a better understanding of magic, and also believed that the DMC had not gained enough of the right information in the years since its inception. The DIM’s creators still fear what magic can do, and how much control it could have over the non-magic community. Unbeknownst to the DIM’s creators, the Magical Government still has one semi-active spy who discovered the Department on accident. Since then, the spy has been giving information as often as they can to the Magical Government.

The DIM has been active for 2 years. It is now 2012, and you are applying to be granted entrance to the hallowed halls of the Rainier Magical Institute (RMI).

Let me know if there is anything you would like explained better or changed. (since this is my first time doing anything like this.)

~ Kitsune  

kodokunakitsune

1,150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

BonzaiRob

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:35 am
Looks good biggrin Is the Institute somewhere mountainous (I want to say the Rockies, because I read a book set there once, but I don't know where it is or if it's relevant)?

And what sort of magical creatures do you have planned - a lot of the JKR ones are old european things, I'm sure America has some of its own creatures too?
(It reminds me of the RationalWiki article on El Chupacabra - the article simply says "We will not speak of it.")  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:11 pm
It is not really relevant where it is. I was trying to pick somewhere that was somewhat sparsely populated yet near enough to a large urban area... but I just decided to leave it undisclosed, because, it is supposed to be hidden anyways.... For terrain, just think, kinda flat, grasses, sparse trees and shrubs, and distant desert.

As for creatures... *shrug* Hadn't thought too much on it. I was kinda planning on leaving that up to M-chan. I could probably make up some stuff if you would like wink  

kodokunakitsune

1,150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

Modenopfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:11 pm
Quote:
As for creatures... *shrug* Hadn't thought too much on it. I was kinda planning on leaving that up to M-chan. I could probably make up some stuff if you would like

I'm suddenly feeling an urge to grab my sketchbook. ;D

--Lici  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:51 pm
Let's see...I believe the Thunderbird is supposed to be an American mythical creature. El Chupacabra works, too, though it's strictly from Mexico.  

Platonix

Vice Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Balance Begets Creation 500
  • Waffles! 25

BonzaiRob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:21 am
After a quick look at Wikipeda, I've turned up Wendigos, Gremlins, any number of Aztec creatures which could move north, and lots of Lumberjack mythology stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearsome_critters and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monsters#North_American_Folklore_.28USA_.26_Canada.29 will be useful biggrin  
Rpgs R Us

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff