Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The United Martial Artists Guild
Would a sport martial-artist beat a traditional in the ring? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:35 am
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
----------------------Shuma-Gorath---------------------

What you keep refering to as Martial Arts is wrong, completely, martial arts is the self-defence way. While all these fights you keep mentioning are not martial art fights but martial sport fights. Consider looking up the difference, before gobbing off.
Mangafairy, if you TRULY believe what you are saying, please provide sufficient evidence to back it up.

Consider developing critical thinking before you start to post.

here-
'martial art (n.) any of several Oriental arts of self-defense' it then goes on to say usually practiced as a sport, and when it is a sport it is called by many 'martial sport (n.)'.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:51 am
There are plenty of videos showing TMA winning so that means nothing-

Karate Vs TKD Traditional wins! Well done TKD, nice kicks but karate just took them, but a very sweet backhander from Karate that ended the match! NICE!

Seidokaikan karate VS Taekwondo Guess who wins! My fave video!

I’ll post some more clips at the weekend, we get broadband, at the moment it takes ages for them to load.  

Mangafairy

Shuma-Gorath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 am
It's official. Mangafairy REALLY HAS NO CLUE of what she is talking about.

Martial Art is a western term. It was NOT translated over from Asia, it was used to describe European combat arts such as Fencing/Wrestling/Boxing.

Oh and PLEASE stop making shitty threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:26 am
Shuma-Gorath

Martial Art is a western term. It was NOT translated over from Asia, it was used to describe European combat arts such as Fencing/Wrestling/Boxing.

Read this carefully! I never stated that the term came from eastern terms, and I never said that it was not a western term. What I said that martial arts means:

Quote:
here-
'martial art (n.) any of several Oriental arts of self-defense' it then goes on to say usually practiced as a sport, and when it is a sport it is called by many 'martial sport (n.)'.

So stop trying to sound intelligent when you clearly are not, and learn to read properly.

P.S Oh and PLEASE stop making shitty comments.  

Mangafairy

Shuma-Gorath

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:53 am
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

Read this carefully! I never stated that the term came from eastern terms, and I never said that it was not a western term. What I said that martial arts means:

Quote:
here-

So stop trying to sound intelligent when you clearly are not, and learn to read properly.

No, but you did imply that Martial Arts from Asia are the only ones in existance, which is false. Notice the "several Oriental arts of self defense" line? Yeah, that's the one.
And please, stop expecting people to go into a circle jerk with you. It's retarded.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:13 pm
The first clip you showed of the "karate" guy vs. the TKD guy is in no way shape or form an example of a traditional martial art pwning a non-traditional form, seeing as how Genki Sudo(the supposed "karate" guy) is one of the most unorthodox/untraditional fighters out there. Sudo is also a mixed martial artist with expertise in Brazilian Jujitsu.

So yeah, Sudo =/= TMAer.....but he did pwn a TMAer.  

Keyboard Warrior

Hylonomus
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:58 am
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

Quote:
here-

No, but you did imply that Martial Arts from Asia are the only ones in existance, which is false. Notice the "several Oriental arts of self defense" line? Yeah, that's the one.
And please, stop expecting people to go into a circle jerk with you. It's retarded.

You have a point there. The term martial art comes from Roman times to explain trainind given to soldiers and warriors. Arts of Mars, referring to the Roman god of war. This itself is evidence that martial arts don't just come from the orient.

Like I stated before, any organised way of fighting is a martial art. If you shoot cans in your backyard with a bb gun, it's a martial art.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:48 am
Hylonomus
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

Quote:
here-

You have a point there. The term martial art comes from Roman times to explain trainind given to soldiers and warriors. Arts of Mars, referring to the Roman god of war. This itself is evidence that martial arts don't just come from the orient.

Like I stated before, any organised way of fighting is a martial art. If you shoot cans in your backyard with a bb gun, it's a martial art.

Er...no...not really!  

Uriko1.0

Hylonomus
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:56 pm
Uriko1.0
Hylonomus
Shuma-Gorath
Mangafairy
Shuma-Gorath

Quote:
here-

Er...no...not really!

Er... yes... yes really!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:44 pm
It really depends on who has fought more I would put my money on the sport style because most of them have more fighting experience but if the traditionalist is from a good school and has fought enough like they should then it may be a toss up between the two. A traditional style or school teaches things that would be viewed as against the rules so in a real situation they would know more about really hurting someone but that dose not always mean they are better. Sometimes the more you know the harder it is to think and act fast. Thats where the K.I.S.S. method comes into play Keep it simple stupid.  

Wolf Nightshade
Vice Captain

Shin2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:53 pm
Ditto.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:36 pm
Wolf Nightshade
It really depends on who has fought more I would put my money on the sport style because most of them have more fighting experience but if the traditionalist is from a good school and has fought enough like they should then it may be a toss up between the two. A traditional style or school teaches things that would be viewed as against the rules so in a real situation they would know more about really hurting someone but that dose not always mean they are better. Sometimes the more you know the harder it is to think and act fast. Thats where the K.I.S.S. method comes into play Keep it simple stupid.

A TMAist THINKS they know more about really hurting someone, the problem lies in their experience with actually executing such "illegal" techniques. (that they apparently only know how to perform rolleyes ) Generally speaking, most TMAs claim that they teach effective self defense when realistically they don't. Their training methods for their "d3adly" and "str33t" effective techniques are usually always done statically due to safety liabilities and their stubborn emphasis on static forms and two step drills does not effectively translate into the timing, energy, and motion one requires against a resisting opponent.  

TaeKyon

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:41 am
TaeKyon
Wolf Nightshade

A TMAist THINKS they know more about really hurting someone, the problem lies in their experience with actually executing such "illegal" techniques. (that they apparently only know how to perform rolleyes ) Generally speaking, most TMAs claim that they teach effective self defense when realistically they don't. Their training methods for their "d3adly" and "str33t" effective techniques are usually always done statically due to safety liabilities and their stubborn emphasis on static forms and two step drills does not effectively translate into the timing, energy, and motion one requires against a resisting opponent.

techniques are NOT always done statically, when you first do the techinque it is done in static, but when you know what body movements you are doing it is done in flowing movements. As for doing attack drills, it can either be done with one or more, at the end of each lesson we do randori, where the class forms a circle and attacks one person in the centre. The forms are there simply as a 'list' of attacks and movements, as it were. Simply so traditional movements can be remembered and translated to sparring.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:04 am
Mangafairy
techniques are NOT always done statically, when you first do the techinque it is done in static, but when you know what body movements you are doing it is done in flowing movements.

I'm really starting to wonder if you even understand the martial art concepts of alive vs static training. Your post seems to suggest otherwise. "Static" in this context has nothing to do w/ "flowing" movements. "Static" in this context is the performance of a technique w/out full force/speed against an opponent allowing themselves to have to technique performed on them (assuming there is even an opponent as often most static techniques are performed solitarily in the air or thrown against a pad).

I reiterate: "Illegal" techniques, the techniques I was referring to and the techniques TMAs always parade out as their ultimate trump card against sports fighting, are almost always done statically. This is for obvious safety reasons, it's just to dangerous to practice "illegal" techniques in an alive manner, which means full force, full speed, all the intent against an alive dynamic resisting opponent and no art that I'm aware of (many may "claim" to) can train these techniques in this way. As such, TMAs THINK they know how to deliver these illegal techniques w/ effectiveness, yet they're relying on unreliable techniques that are nearly impossible to effectively test and train.

If anything, a sports fighter has a better chance at delivering an illegal technique more effectively because they have a better understanding of the dynamics of fighting against a resisting opponent than a TMAist who spends his time thinking he can deliver a technique w/out spending enough time actually delivering those techniques.  

TaeKyon

Uggae

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:16 pm
In the ring a sport martial artist would beat a TMA Because sport martial arts are designed for the ring. however in the street the TMA would preform much better because he wouldn't be trying to score points but instead be trying to whoop a** a TMA tends to have a better common sense in real fighting I know this because I'm a TMA and i have beaten the crap out of at least one or more sport martial artist before in some friendly sparing mostly cause the sport martial artist in question kept going for flashy easy to read moves which ended up getting him body slammed (on a mat in my colleges martial arts class) he also tryed to take me to the ground so when he grabbed i picked him up and held him in the air till he gave up. thats just my experance though .  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff