Welcome to Gaia! ::

Echoes of Pern [Closed]

Back to Guilds

A Dragonriders of Pern B/C RP 

Tags: Pern, Dragons, Dragonriders, Role-Play, Fantasy 

Reply [IC RP] High Reaches Weyr
[CANDIDATES] Let's talk Back Up Plans [ complete ] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:04 am

Kedah wasn't late so much as she was just finishing up an assigned chore. Mucking out dragon ledges was not for the faint of heart. Thankfully, the beasts so rarely got sick that it wasn't often necessary. Unfortunately it had been today, and Kedah had been the lucky one given the task. Well, that was fine. It wasn't like she was going to get grossed out over something some poor dragon couldn't help but do. No worse than taking care of the littles, when it came down to it, and K'vah couldn't seem to get enough of that. Kedah had her opinions, but this at least prepared her to be a better rider.

So when she swaggered into class and plopped down next to Heida, it was with her trademark smirk. "What'd I miss?" she asked covertly, setting her lesson things on the desk in from of her. T'nus was being ... T'nus. Lessons had changed since F'dral and his yesman had taken over, but at least they took it seriously. Unlike some, it seemed.

tatterpixie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:24 pm
"Oh, just Tarroi being a wher's-son and thinking he's better than the rest of us," Heida murmured conspiratorially to her friend. "Stupid Holder boy." She could hardly call him a boy since he was several Turns older than she was, but as far as she was concerned all males were "boys." And he wasn't Weyr-bred, so that knocked him down a couple more notches in her eyes.

The blonde girl bumped her shoulder against Kedah's and grinned. "Other than that, you missed nothing. T'nus is waiting for the rest of the Candidates to join us, I guess, before he starts his lesson." Heida sighed dramatically. "I hope it's something interesting that we haven't learned yet and not just another refresher!"

Mr Cheri

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:32 pm
More and more were arriving, though perhaps now was when T'nus could consider them slightly tardy. He didn't though since none of them came in with issue or noise, though Minimuth chided the actions in his head. You told them to be here on time. Clearly this group can't follow simple rules? How hard is it to follow rules and be somewhere on time. You certainly weren't like this, I don't even know how you can allow this. The mini-bronze grumped from his station, prompting a "hmm" from T'nus and a bit of a smile that were sure to be seen and/or heard by the candidates. They could take it as they will.

What he wouldn't take without responding though was Tarroi's question. T'nus was pretty knowledgeable about all the candidates who came in, considering it was his job to know about them and care and teach them, so really was he even surprised to see that hand go up? "Don't worry Master Tarroi, I promise I won't be wasting your time. If you do find what we go over is something you're already quite familiar with due to your five turns in candidacy perhaps you'd be willing to help me explain, or even go first when I need volunteers?" The tone of T'nus's voice didn't change in the slightest and he merely nodded his head in the young man's direction.

Kedah's entry got a nod as well, a pleasant welcome of sorts, and he watched where she slid into place and whom she was with. "Are there any more questions before we get started? I'm certain many of you will find this boring or tedious but I would like to consider it important for your future here at the Weyr."

tatterpixie
henlo benlo
Mr Cheri
nothing major just watching

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:20 am

It had been rather predictable that Fehral had arrived early. Not only was he committed to his candidacy, but he was also anxious about potentially being kicked out of the Weyr. Some people probably didn't need to be worried, but Fehral? Fehral absolutely knew he had nothing to offer the world but his sheer strength and dutiful nature. He... tried. Really, really tried. But he knew he wasn't as bright as some - growing up in the mines of Nabol with parents like his hadn't set him up well for success in any academic field.

So here he was, sitting on tenterhooks, hoping that T'nus and F'dral didn't decide to send him back to those very mines. He wanted so badly to be a dragonrider and to help fight Thread, but there were no guarantees in life. He'd stood for several clutches now with no results. Time didn't wait for anyone, and none of them were getting any younger. The tall young man tried not to take up too much space at his desk, but it was cramped at best. He looked a little ridiculous and oversized sitting there... and wasn't unaware. Chayrel hadn't sat next to him today because the seats on either side were taken, but Fehral did slip him occasional glances
Uta

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

Zaikt
Crew

Otherworldly Plague

20,675 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Galactic Domination 200
  • That One Hero 500
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm
Somebody had a bit of a mouth on them. Kaiator couldn't help but glance over at the Candidate who'd raised his hand and thrown himself directly into the line of fire, apparently banking on ego (or something) to save him. Tarroi, according to T'nus himself; he's just glad he didn't sit too terribly near the man, especially not with that kind of attention being sent his way.

Wait, what was that smile for? What did that mean? T'nus was--well, maybe he shouldn't speak (or think, really) ill of the man in charge of his fate. All the same, that little flash of expression had been enough to set his already-bothered nerves even more on edge, and Kaiator shifted uncomfortably in his seat, sitting up as straight as possible. He was paying attention, that much was undeniable; he'd go out of his way to make sure that much was clear, in the hopes that it might get him out of hot water for the remainder of this 'lesson.' Perhaps if he was focused and attentive, T'nus might be tempted to pick someone else to harass?
"This feels a bit like torture already, if you ask me." he muttered under his breath. Whether or not anyone else could hear him over the general murmur of the crowd was a bit of a mystery, but one that hadn't quite crossed his mind yet.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:13 pm
Questions? Yes! Yes, they had a few of those! Probably too many, really, but that wasn't going to stop Alisaide now--a pale hand shot up from one of the rows closer to the front, its owner doing their best to smother some of the enthusiastic wiggling that went along with the burning need to ask.

"Oh, um--Master T'nus! Are we, ah-- Is this something we should be taking notes on, by any chance?" They clutched their journal a little tighter, glad that they'd taken the time earlier to get through studying their previous block of notes. Maybe they'd be tested on it throughout the course of this lesson? Their glasses started to slip off their nose a bit with the sudden movement, and they lowered their hand in order to push them back into place before they went tumbling off yet again. "Just wanted to make sure, really!"
Alisaide couldn't be nervous about this whole thing, really--they didn't even know what it was about yet, and that meant the door was wide open as far as possibilities went. Was it going to be a talk on how to conduct themselves on the Sands, perhaps? A brief history of the Weyr? Test prep for--something? Only T'nus knew, and Alisaide couldn't wait for him to actually spill the beans. This was just so exciting! Here they were at a real Candidate lesson, sitting so close to the front and everything!

houllow
t'nus pls notice them

Zaikt
Crew

Otherworldly Plague

20,675 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Galactic Domination 200
  • That One Hero 500

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:15 pm
Lowering his hand, Tarroi's smirk faded a little. "No, Candidatemaster Second T'nus," he mumbled, sinking lower into his chair. Shard it, he'd gone and brought attention to himself all right -- the wrong kind of attention. He enjoyed trying to wind up T'nus and Candidatemaster F'dral, though the latter took no nonsense from anyone so it wasn't as much fun. In fact, F'dral was rather like an aggravated tunnelsnake toward the Candidates, in Tarroi's mind. Not like Gr'del at all.

Then T'nus said something about their "future at the Weyr" and Tarroi huffed dramatically (although quietly). He crossed his arms over his chest and glowered miserably at the front of the classroom. This was going to be one of those interminably long and boring lectures, wasn't it?

Why couldn't he just Impress a dragon and be done with all this?

houllow
This round goes to T'nus XD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:43 am
"You're welcome to take notes if you'd like, young Alisaide, though with your memory I don't believe it to be necessary. Still, go ahead." Another compliment came so perhaps T'nus was in a good mood or this conversation wasn't going to be super dramatic. Either way the last speaker got a smile as well before the Candidatemaster Second cleared his throat and addressed the group at large. "So, how many of you have plans for your future should you become ineligible to stand for any number of reasons? As you are aware you can become ineligible via aging out, or through behavioral problems, but also injury or circumstance."

Many of them were Weyrbrats so they'd have some idea of the basics, but those brought in - what had they learned while he was gone? Some came for that massive double clutch not too long back and remained - he'd been absent for much of that due to the mini-plague that had swept through High Reaches and rendered many inhabitants deathly ill. "Not of all you who age out will be allowed to stay here at High Reaches, so having plans for your future are imperative."

T'nus paused to look out at the sea of faces - particularly the older faces of candidates who could easily be gone from candidacy before the Turn's end. "Those born here at High Reaches naturally will be allowed to stay. Anyone who was pursuing a craft before candidacy can be returned to their Crafthall in order to continue their studies." Those answers seemed like common sense, and so T'nus wondered if many of them would be bored. Honestly he hoped they would be so he could make note, write it all down.

Attitudes towards the future were just as important as thoughts in the present. "So, who wants to go first? What do you hope to accomplish if your be-and-or-all dream of becoming a Rider does not pan out? What would you do if you become so injured you can no longer stand nor pursue a craft?"

Quote:
let 'em have it! you can quote t'nus if you'd like to ask a question, or have a direct reply to him. remember he is also watching the behavior of the candidates and how they handle this conversation, so keep that in mind!

Zaikt
Tsunake
Princess_Feylin
Uta
tatterpixie
Andranis
Prism Shine
Mr Cheri

houllow

Sparkly Decorator

Andranis

Sweet Kitten

15,000 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:33 am
Oh, was that the topic of the lesson? Tarnaria couldn't help but smile at that. While her initial dream hadn't been to be a Rider, being found on a Search and brought to High Reaches had put it in her mind. But if she never Impressed or something happened to remove her from Candidacy, she knew what she would do, so she was the first to stand. "I've always known what I'll do, if something happens or I age out. I'll become a baker, like my parents. And I hope to do that here, in the High Reaches kitchens, if I'm allowed to." She'd found many friends in the kitchens, as it were, people she looked up to or who simply had a mind for baking like she did. And it would mean having dragon-shaped breads with sweet icings in many colors on the tables at feasts!

houllow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Whatever Kedah had intended to say in response to Heida was silenced by the apparent topic of the lesson. Really? Not that it wasn't a useful thing to think about for some, but honestly... Kedah was a little underwhelmed. Sure, there were probably those arrogant enough or foolish enough to believe that they would for certain Impress... but if they hadn't even thought about backup plans, well. That was more or less their problem.

"If I don't Impress... I'm going to go on missions with my Dad and maybe teach the little 'uns how to defend themselves if it's needed." There. She'd said it. If she didn't Impress, she'd have work aplenty to do. Kedah had a good relationship with Padmia, and had no doubt the Headwoman would find her tasks to undertake if it came to it.

---

Quite unlike some, however, Fehral had every reason to fear. If he didn't Impress...

If he didn't Impress, Master Gr'del had once assured him that he would not be forced to return to the mines of Nabol. However, Lord Gansley and his cronies had every reason to believe that his labor, and by extension he himself, might belong back in those very mines. Fehral's hand, had anyone looked closely, was trembling slightly where he gripped the stylus.

If he didn't Impress...

For such a large young man, Fehral certainly folded rather well. He was a bit hunched in the desk, quite over-sized for it - it was surely not built for a young man who had spent his life shifting heavy rock and fighting for his life. A young man who was almost 7' tall now. To say that he looked ridiculous was an understatement. But... he'd been asked a question.

"If you please, Master T'nus..." Swallowing, as quiet about it as he could be, the lad continued. "I don't have a craft. And no family as such. Not weyrbred. So." So where did that leave him? He wasn't old by any stretch, but time waited for no one.

houllow

Cheri

Vice Captain

Interstellar Pirate

tatterpixie

Tipsy Codger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:34 pm
Cocking her head to one side, Heida thought for a moment about the question T'nus had posed to the assembled Candidates. Sure, she was as Weyrbred as they come, which meant she wouldn't be sent away if she somehow failed to Impress before ageing out. But what would she do at the Weyr to help? She had to remain useful, because she didn't want any child of Herg'r's to be thought of as a slackard or pitied because they didn't Impress.

"I think..." she finally said, "I think I would like to work in the Creche! Teach the younglings, get the weyrbrats behaving themselves so that they become good Candidates once they're old enough to Stand. Or maybe a Candidatemaster like yourself, Master T'nus! I would like to give children the foundations they need to Impress a dragon. Even if I don't Impress myself, for whatever reason." With a final decisive nod, she turned to beam at Kedah. They were set!

~~~~~~~~~~

Tarroi listened to the question posed by T'nus and decided this wasn't going to be a lesson for the new kids; it was going to be one for the old kids. Like him. He was twenty Turns old, no longer a teenager. Looking around at the rest of the class, he realized he was closer to ageing-out age than he was to Impression age. And that realization gave him a bit of a start.

But he couldn't allow it to show; he couldn't allow himself to reveal how scared of not Impressing he really was. "Well, I'm a Holder's son, so I can always go back to my Hold," he responded, not bothering to stand, though he did raise his hand again in case T'nus couldn't figure out who was speaking by his voice. "And from there I could... maybe take over the fishing business?" Sounding more querulous than he had intended, he lowered his hand and nodded. "Yes, take over the fishing business at my Hold."

No one had to know that he was so far down the line to inherit the Hold he grew up in that he didn't stand a chance. No one had to know the shame and embarrassment he would suffer if he were to run back to the Hold, tail tucked like a scared canine. Tarroi had technically grown up at High Reaches Weyr; he had been here since he was 14. To go back home would be unthinkable.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:03 pm
Valeska was straight-backed and intently listening when T'nus spoke. Ineligible to stand? The thoughts went wild in her head at the words. Behavioral problems? What level of behavioral problems are they referring to? What if she was too meek and dumb or slow or uneducated or weak... did she already think that one? Her first lesson and they were already talking about them basically failing out. The color was slowly draining in her face at the mere thought of failing. She's always been fairly successful at the things she set out for. She was slow and not really a high achiever but she did pride herself and getting things done right. But impression wasn't something you could 'try your hardest' and succeed at.

Some of the candidates began to speak up. That's right a lot of them had families like she did. Her nerves eased slightly. Of course, her father would take her back. Fishing was a good, honorable trade. She was really short and not really build for the rough seas but she knew the ropes literally. Honestly, she had already thought about it..... multiple times. Well.... to be completely honest, it was a reoccurring nightmare of hers.

Someone next to her spoke up. She jumped a little at the sound. Were they going by turns? She wasn't paying attention. Maybe she should speak up? There was a pause and she started getting nervous so started talking without realizing it.

"Sir.... MASter.... erm.... I mean...." If you could see it, her whole body was starting to get redder and redder as she stammered. Public speaking was clearly not something she was talented at.... on any level. "My father has mentioned I can return and keep learning his craft of fishing at any time." She was basically talking really really fast, trying to blurt out the whole sentence in one breath. The moment she stopped talking, she snapped her mouth shut and very slowly tried to melt into her seat.  

Shikai-Chan

Spockat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:13 pm
Rahmsii

The only thing that gave Rahmsii a prickle of anxiety was having to go back to his father. The escape from from his lunacy with him becoming an heir to being a candidate gave him a layer of protection. The idea of it being scrubbed clean had him wanting to hide his large selflf under a bed a while and not come out. His boot anxiously scuffed against the floor. Rahmsii's heart ached in particular for his firelizards pensive company, but obediently stayed far from his lessons.

He'd have to think of something, somewhere to go far away from the chapter he closed on his 'family'. He stole an anxious glance at Tuelarue. He was not very much for speaking up about such things, but hopefully his furrowed brow and pensive expression made it clear he was taking the question very seriously.

Rahmsii, hadn't banked himself on impressing. Something to embrace if it happened, joyous change to his life. . To have been searched was a rare gift for someone who until recently, barely even laid eyes on the enormous flying creatures.

Rahmsii never, however, counted himself as extraordinarily lucky. That was the grim truth, he'd never banked on his life to being a Rider. Just a glimmer of possibility… a lovely one at that. He took a long, slow breath to gather his thoughts. If he's to age out and the weyr he has begun to call home, well there is always a need of a strong man who can work with his hands.

He wouldn't say no to learning more of his craft either. Yes… that could keep him far from his childhood home and make him feel useful. He knew enough to become a proper apprentice if the time came. If he was too injured to be of any use, by Faranath hopefully whatever hypothetical injury would just take him and be done with it, or at least left him well enough to mind the soil for growing things. All forbid he must become trapped and unable to keep himself fed. He worried his lip, the future was fast coming but at least the gentle presence of the present would cushion its blow come time.

====
Urzoh

Urzoh had at least a vague idea of what she would do if she aged out of standing. This Weyr had been her home all her life. It would always be her home, she had no reason to worry too terribly. Urzoh found cooking peaceful, so maybe she'd find a place in the kitchen. She found herself nodding along with the other candidate speaking of baking. Solid plan if she didn't say so herself.

It would be a tough pill to swallow if she happened to not impress, but that was the life of candidacy. She's seen enough candidates come and go her whole life at High Reaches. She'd just have to get used to whatever her life shaped into. Maybe scream a little bit to get the disappointment out of her system. Urzoh would get over it, nothing is guaranteed, and she wasn't so naive to think things happen just because she wants them to.

Simple, easy. No massive brooding session. It didn't require a lot of thought in her mind. She wouldn't be frightened of the future, couldn't be. If she was hurt, this was her home with all she called family.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:54 pm
A bit of a smile crossed Tuelarua's face as Rahmsii slid in next to her, taking the smallest bit of comfort from the squeeze on her knee. She reached, patting her friend's forearm gently as she took in the air of the room. It was... tense. She could only raise an eyebrow at T'nus' crocadillian smiles, quite used to the.. eccentricities of the candidatemaster second. Yet she gave him his due for his rank, for she was a lowly candidate -- Pern's possible defending line, but that was a rare chance, was it not?

The question posed didn't surprise her, but she wasn't as shellshocked as some of her other classmates seemed. She knew many came from bad pasts, and had her parents not been able to make certain they all could leave -- well, she was a bit privileged in that, wasn't she? Still, Tuela could even see Rahmsii's slight prickling at the question, and leaned to bump her shoulder into his, the slightest press to hopefully ground her friend a bit longer. Things would be okay. There.. has to be a certain level of hope in the future, though nothing was ever certain.

"I know my time's running a bit thin, but," She pauses, worrying the corner of her lip slightly. She was reaching the age out with every passing day, now that she was 24. "I'm going to make myself useful to the Weyr, even just to wash dishes. If I'm not? Prolly.. go back to my parents in High Reaches Hold. I won't be a burden if I can't pull my weight."  

Prism Shine

Fanatical Egg

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:45 am
As the lesson began in earnest, Dehka sat sharply upright and forced himself to make eye contact despite his anxiety on the subject as a whole. It was important... and as T'nus reminded them all that those born at High Reaches would be able to stay, he found himself wincing. Dehka could feel the anxiety rise in the room... especially as a particularly large young man seemed to cringe.

Dehka instinctively felt his heart go out for Fehral. He... he'd been lucky, being able to taken from Nabol when he was so young. He wanted to reassure him--maybe after class?

"I'll still work at the Weyr." He said quietly, swallowing the lump in his throat to speak up a little louder. "U-Um. I mean... There's always plenty to do here. Cleaning, cooking... even if it's just changing glows, or bringing meals to riders... I'll do whatever I have to so I earn my keep."

Mr Cheri
Have a smol boy noticing. :c

[IC RP] High Reaches Weyr

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas