Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Sixth Year Classes
Art IV~ Open- First Lesson Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:31 pm
A sincere artist is not one who makes a
faithful attempt to put on to canvas
what is in front of him, but one who tries to create something
which is,in itself, a living thing.

User Image
User Image

[Student List]
Alexandria Quimby-Scott

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Sixth Years. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art IV and congratulations on your excellent OWL scores! To start the class I thought we'd like to do a bit of background before the fun begins. As you know this year will be about sculpting so before we jump right in, lets learn about the different mediums." She went over to her chalkboard and began to write out the different sculpture types before turning to face her small class.
"Sculpture is a wide branch of art encompassing many different kinds of three-dimensional work. They can be designed for outdoor usage in a garden or public display or exclusively for indoors. Artists can make sculptures from anything at hand, including sand, food and recyclables. However the main mediums are:
Clay: a versatile medium in sculpting. It can be the medium to build a finished product, or to make molds for other media. Clay sculptures include small objects that need to be fired in a kiln.
Steel: welded together can create large or small sculptures. Sculptors create public art form steel as well as artistic candle holders and table top displays.
Stone: People have carved stone for centuries to create sculptures. Italian artist Michelangelo chiseled a piece of marble into the 17-foot statue of David.
Wax: Wax museums feature realistic models of famous people created from wax. Beeswax can be carved with the same tools as clay or wood.
Glass: Artists can blow heated glass to create sculptures. Broken shards of glass can also be fused to build sculptures, with or without the addition of other sculpture media.
Ice: Ice carvings can be elaborate pieces of functional art as seen in the ice hotels of Sweden or Quebec. Smaller blocks of ice also become decorative centerpiece sculptures for weddings or other events.
Wood: Artists carve wood into sculptures. Some artists carve exclusively with a chain saw to create elaborate wooden sculptures while others use more precise tools to carve and shape the wood. Wood also often serves as a base for other sculpted material.
Recycled Material: Artists can create assemblage art from discarded materials. Artists have used automobile parts, broken clocks, household items and tools to build sculptures of all sizes.
And finally, Food: Chocolate sculptures are temporary pieces of art that can serve as centerpieces for special events. Food sculptor Jim Victor has used butter, pepperoni, peanut brittle and cheese to create statues.
Now for today I'd like you to take a look around at the different sculptures and mediums I have placed around the classroom and find the one you think you'd most be interested in working with. Also, by the by, I know how much chocolate I have stashed in case anyone decides to get any ideas."
Tanna chuckled.
kiska166

Quote:

Quote:

Clockwork Muse

[Wearing Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited and slightly bloated] [Thinking: The beginning of the year is always my favorite] [OOC:Those who's character is on the class list are quoted]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:26 pm

User Image
User Image

[Student List]
Alexandria Quimby-Scott

Tanna walked back into the classroom with a slight waddle still excited over teaching an upper level. It was just so exciting! "Hello hello! I hope everyone is happy with their chosen medium or mediums, now on to the basics! There are four basic techniques usable by all mediums:
Carving: Carving involves cutting or chipping away a shape from a mass of stone, wood, or other hard material. Carving is a subtractive process whereby material is systematically eliminated from the outside in.
Casting: Sculptures that are cast are made from a material that is melted down—usually a metal—that is then poured into a mold. The mold is allowed to cool, thereby hardening the metal, usually bronze. Casting is an additive process.
Modeling: Modeled sculptures are created when a soft or malleable material (such as clay) is built up (sometimes over an armature) and shaped to create a form. Modeling is an additive process.
Assembling: Sculptors gather and join different materials to create an assembled sculpture. Assembling is an additive process.
Now just like last time there are different stations for the different mediums so start playing around with the items...err, the safer ones I mean. If you're not comfortable with fire or carving just yet I'd move on. Have fun and please don't hesitate to ask questions!

kiska166

Quote:

Quote:

Clockwork Muse

[Wearing Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited and slightly bloated] [Thinking: The beginning of the year is always my favorite] [OOC:Those who's character is on the class list are quoted]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:47 am

User Image
User Image

[Student List]
Alexandria Quimby-Scott

Tanna waited behind her desk reading one of her many art magazines while absentmindedly rubbing small circles on her enlarged stomach. In a little under a month she'd be entering her third trimester but even so she looked like she was already in the midst. Still, it was the sort of thing you'd expect with being pregnant with multiples. When she looked up and saw that her class was there and waiting she grinned a tad sheepishly and stood up to go over to the board to write, Sculpting Enchantments.
"Hello all, we have a rather fun lesson for today! For the past few weeks you all have been working hard and diligently with whatever medium you so choose and I'm so happy and excited for all your hard work. And now we've come to the final stretch, the last thing you can add to your artwork: an enchantment. For those of you who haven't completely finished your sculpture or would rather not practice on their artwork, I have plenty of small sculptures you could use for this spellwork." As usual, she had one of her older NEWT students standing near the back awaiting her call and when she smiled and nodded towards them they came to the front while she grabbed a small bear sculpture and placed it on an empty desk for the class to see. "This spell requires a bit more wand work than the others so please pay attention. In order to completely enchant your art you must point your wand at the desired sculpture. make clockwise circle (not too big), and end with a sharp point at the sculpture all while saying the words, 'Motus liberi.'" Tanna looked at her student expectantly and watched them correctly do the spell and clapped happily as the small bear began to blink and shake off imaginary water while stalking around the desk looking for food. Too precious. "And for added benefit, if you would like to stop your sculpture from moving just tap it and say, 'Statur Motus.'" And just doing as she said, the student tapped the small moving bear saying the words and watched as hit froze back into a stationary sculpture. "Great job! Your note is on the desk and your extra credit shall be added by the end of the day." she told her NEWT student who grinned and nodded before exiting the classroom. "Now that you've seen how it works, go ahead and give it a try. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask."
kiska166

Quote:

Quote:

Clockwork Muse

[Wearing Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited and slightly bloated] [Thinking: Onward] [OOC:]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:24 am

User Image
User Image

¤ Artist ¤ Married ¤ Mother of Two

Class List:
Lexine Vance
Alice Lancaster
Kenneth Lowery

Tanna set up her classroom in the first few weeks she arrived back at the castle and was now waiting on the corner of her desk for her new set of Sixth Years. Seeing them arrive she greeted them with a smile and waited for them to take their seats before she began. "Hello and welcome to Art IV and congratulations on your excellent OWL scores! To start the class I thought we'd like to do a bit of background before the fun begins. As you know this year will be about sculpting so before we jump right in, lets learn about the different mediums." She went over to her chalkboard and began to write out the different sculpture types before turning to face her small class.
"Sculpture is a wide branch of art encompassing many different kinds of three-dimensional work. They can be designed for outdoor usage in a garden or public display or exclusively for indoors. Artists can make sculptures from anything at hand, including sand, food and recyclables. However the main mediums are:
Clay: a versatile medium in sculpting. It can be the medium to build a finished product, or to make molds for other media. Clay sculptures include small objects that need to be fired in a kiln.
Steel: welded together can create large or small sculptures. Sculptors create public art form steel as well as artistic candle holders and table top displays.
Stone: People have carved stone for centuries to create sculptures. Italian artist Michelangelo chiseled a piece of marble into the 17-foot statue of David.
Wax: Wax museums feature realistic models of famous people created from wax. Beeswax can be carved with the same tools as clay or wood.
Glass: Artists can blow heated glass to create sculptures. Broken shards of glass can also be fused to build sculptures, with or without the addition of other sculpture media.
Ice: Ice carvings can be elaborate pieces of functional art as seen in the ice hotels of Sweden or Quebec. Smaller blocks of ice also become decorative centerpiece sculptures for weddings or other events.
Wood: Artists carve wood into sculptures. Some artists carve exclusively with a chain saw to create elaborate wooden sculptures while others use more precise tools to carve and shape the wood. Wood also often serves as a base for other sculpted material.
Recycled Material: Artists can create assemblage art from discarded materials. Artists have used automobile parts, broken clocks, household items and tools to build sculptures of all sizes.
And finally, Food: Chocolate sculptures are temporary pieces of art that can serve as centerpieces for special events. Food sculptor Jim Victor has used butter, pepperoni, peanut brittle and cheese to create statues.
Now for today I'd like you to take a look around at the different sculptures and mediums I have placed around the classroom and find the one you think you'd most be interested in working with. Also, by the by, I know how much chocolate I have stashed in case anyone decides to get any ideas."
Tanna chuckled.

murruelecreuset

Arkendrai

Diamond Wales

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New year, new hopes] [OOC:]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 2:13 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: Art IV - Monday @ 9:00am

Alice was happy to see that her first class of the week according to her timetable was in fact art. She loved art of course she didn’t get to the class without telling Jasper she’d hang with him after his class ended at eleven. Taking a seat at the front of class Alice took out her things. As Professor Hawthorne started she twirled her quill in her hand until she needed to begin taking notes.

There were several methods to making sculptures that the Hufflepuff was interested in. Working with clay or glass was a great idea and working with food just made Alice hungry. Smiling at the mention of chocolate and knowing the amount she had Alice finished up her notes before walking around the room. ‘People sculpture fruit I think…’ she thought as she walked around. The possibilities seemed endless when it came to sculpting. Despite sketching being her thing this might just turn into her new thing.

With: Professor Hawthorne

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---

Positive and optimistic,
Kind as well,
You should do well here...
Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:28 pm
        User Image

As soon as Lexine walked into the art classroom so early in the morning, carrying a travel mug of hot tea, she took a seat next to Alice. "Hey Alice," She murmured, blowing gently on her tea. "How was your summer? We didn't get to catch up on the train...or on the carriage rides...or, well...anywhere else." Lexine smiled a bit sheepishly. "S'ppose that was my own fault though, wasn't it?" She chuckled a bit before Professor Hawthorne started her lecture on mediums of sculpting. She began writing down notes as the professor spoke of each different medium. As she thought about it, Lexine decided that glass would probably be one of the more interesting mediums to work with. Plus, glass sculptures were always so beautiful. It was amazing someone could do so much with something like that.

Once the professor was done, Lexine knew exactly what she was thinking of working with...of course, was the school really going to let her blow glass? Wasn't that a bit dangerous? Pretty sure Quidditch is probably quite dangerous...and I am in a school of wizards, aren't I? We've learned spells to shoot a jet of fire... Merlin's beard, how Hogwarts hasn't burned down yet is a mystery... Lexine bit down on her lip, leaning back a bit as she took a long sip of tea. She began her rounds around the room, looking at the different mediums. She hoped that, despite her favouring glass at the moment, they were all going to be able to work with more than one medium, if not all of them. It would certainly get boring working with the same thing over and over again...

User Image
        murruelecreuset

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:39 pm
User Image

“Hey,” Alice greeted Lexine as she took a seat. “Oh don’t worry about it. I know we’d catch up eventually. My summer was good for the most part, didn’t do all that much aside from hang with Valentina.” She replied before class got underway. When the lecture was over Alice looked back to her friend. “So how was your summer?” she asked curiously. “Iñigo said you guys had a good time on your trip.” She added.

After walking a bit around the room, Alice looked back to Lexine. “What method are you thinking off?” she asked curiously. She wondered where her friend’s head was at. Either way she bet that Lexine would do a wonderful job at it. Both of them seemed to have an interest in art so it wouldn't be surprising if they both did really well.

With: Professor Hawthorne & Lexine

Arkendrai

Positive and optimistic,
Kind as well,
Hufflepuff!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:30 pm

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Lexine Vance
Alice Lancaster
Kenneth Lowery

Tanna walked back into the classroom with a slight skip still excited over teaching an upper level. It was just so exciting! "Hello hello! I hope everyone is happy with their chosen medium or mediums, now on to the basics! There are four basic techniques usable by all mediums:
Carving: Carving involves cutting or chipping away a shape from a mass of stone, wood, or other hard material. Carving is a subtractive process whereby material is systematically eliminated from the outside in.
Casting: Sculptures that are cast are made from a material that is melted down—usually a metal—that is then poured into a mold. The mold is allowed to cool, thereby hardening the metal, usually bronze. Casting is an additive process.
Modeling: Modeled sculptures are created when a soft or malleable material (such as clay) is built up (sometimes over an armature) and shaped to create a form. Modeling is an additive process.
Assembling: Sculptors gather and join different materials to create an assembled sculpture. Assembling is an additive process.
Now just like last time there are different stations for the different mediums so start playing around with the items...err, the safer ones I mean. If you're not comfortable with fire or carving just yet I'd move on. Have fun and please don't hesitate to ask questions!

murruelecreuset

Arkendrai

Diamond Wales

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Continuing on] [OOC:]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:03 pm
User Image
                                                  I know we got it good, but they got it made,
                                                  And their grass is getting greener each day,
                                                  I know things are looking up, but soon they'll take us down,
                                                  Before anybody's knowing our name

User Image
                                                  ════════════════════════
                                                  Sɪxᴛʜ Yᴇᴀʀ || Sᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ || Sʟʏᴛʜᴇʀɪɴ Pʀᴇғᴇᴄᴛ
                                                  ════════════════════════

Kenny had come in late to the last class, and made it a point to come in early this lesson. He'd taken a look at the various mediums provided, and while part of him was curious about certain forms of sculpture, he wasn't that big of one. He could always try his hand, though. He looked over the materials again, trying to envision one of them working for him. He could always try assembling something, but he wasn't sure what. Though, he could always do carving. He had been around knives for quite a while, from Steffi back in the orphanage, to Jer and his assorted knives that he'd somehow snuck into the school. He'd gotten several of them for a birthday gift, and had one in his pocket right now. Sharp objects never bothered him as a result. He made his way over to the carving station and eyed a piece of wood. It seemed simple enough. Kind of like whittling. Before he knew it, he seated himself and was now holding a block of wood in his hands. Running his hands over it, he tried to envision what it could turn into. Shrugging however, he just pulled out his knife, checked the edge, and set to work. Whatever it was going to be, it would eventually show itself. He just had to coax it out.

════════════════════════
                                                  Thinking: What can I make this wood into...?
                                                  OOC:

[x]

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Do you think I'm special? Do you think I'm nice?
                                                  Am I bright enough to shine in your spaces?
                                                  Between the noise you hear, and the sounds you like
                                                  Are we just sinking in an ocean of faces?

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:41 pm
User Image

Alice skipped to art class like she always did and took a seat ready for her favourite class. Listening to Professor Hawthorne, she took notes and was ecstatic to hear they'd be working with the different mediums. Deciding on working with modeling clay she planned on making something. What that something was the Hufflepuff wasn't sure. Thought whatever it was going to be, she planned on making it for Jasper. If anything it would make a good apology gift. If only she didn't feel like she needed to give him one. Sadly purposefully avoiding someone sometimes had that affect.

With: Professor Hawthorne & Kenny

Positive and optimistic,
Kind as well,
Hufflepuff!

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:52 pm
        User Image

After Professor Hawthorne's lecture, Lexine walked off to the molding station. She wanted to try the different mediums, and decided it was probably smart to start with one of the most commonly used. She wasn't sure exactly what she was going to be making, so she started to mold the clay, she'd decide exactly what she was going to be making when it started looking like something.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:23 pm

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Lexine Vance
Alice Lancaster
Kenneth Lowery

Tanna waited behind her desk reading one of her many art magazines sometimes pausing to write little annotations in the margins. Her eyes strayed towards the picture she kept on her desk of all her boys grinning up at her with her husband making their chubby little hands wave to her. It was so adorable and she was pretty sure she had about a thousand pictures of her family in her office because of it. She loved her job but she hated that she would sometimes meet the little things with her family because of work. She was happy that she could go home on the weekends and she had all summer to make up for it, but it wasn't quite the same. When she looked up and saw that her class was there and waiting she grinned a tad sheepishly and stood up to go over to the board to write, Sculpting Enchantments.
"Hello all, we have a rather fun lesson for today! For the past few weeks you all have been working hard and diligently with whatever medium you so choose and I'm so happy and excited for all your hard work. And now we've come to the final stretch, the last thing you can add to your artwork: an enchantment. For those of you who haven't completely finished your sculpture or would rather not practice on their artwork, I have plenty of small sculptures you could use for this spellwork." As usual, she had one of her older NEWT students standing near the back awaiting her call and when she smiled and nodded towards them they came to the front while she grabbed a small puppy sculpture and placed it on an empty desk for the class to see. "This spell doesn't require too much wandwork but a lot of concentration so please pay attention to what you're doing. Simply tap the sculpture with your wand saying the words, 'Statua Mobil.'" Tanna looked at her student expectantly and watched them correctly do the spell and clapped happily as the small puppy who blinked slowly then began wagging its tail and pouncing around the desk looking for something to play with. Too precious. "This spell lasts indefinitely so please choose a statue that is non-hazardous and not dangerous to yourself or the rest of the class" She said looking at the puppy who seemed to bark in affirmation of her words. "Great job! Your note is on the desk and your extra credit shall be added by the end of the day." she told her NEWT student who grinned and nodded before exiting the classroom. "Now that you've seen how it works, go ahead and give it a try. If you need any help, please don't hesitate to ask."

murruelecreuset

Arkendrai

Diamond Wales

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: Continuing on] [OOC:]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 pm
        User Image

Lexine sat down and, as Professor Hawthorne started her lesson, she began writing out a few notes. They were learning how to enchant and therefore animate a sculpture. Because Lexine wasn't completely finished with her own, Lexine decided to opt for using one of those that the profssor was offering. She walked up and picked out a little girl on a swing -- simple enough. That tended to be her thing, wasn't it? She took it back and looked over the scuplture for a little bit before taking out her wand and pointing it at the scuplture. Murmuring the incantation "Statua Mobil," and watched as the little girl began to swing gently.

User Image

User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:14 pm

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Celaena Snow
Eugene Windsor

Tanna chuckled.

Jade Galaksylph

shabatha

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New Year!] [OOC:]

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:12 pm

User Image
User Image

Class List:
Persephone Tempest
Mira Mitchell
Seymour Benjamin Ryans
Nina Vienna
Emily Vanadeth
Kaitlyn Estan

Tanna chuckled.

Cara MiaKitty

shabatha

mc2

murruelecreuset

[Wearing: Teaching] [With: Students] [Where: Art Classroom] [Feeling: Excited] [Thinking: New Year!] [OOC:]

Sixth Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff