Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
s**t that you think needs to happen: The Thread. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Allegro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:04 pm
skies
of
Arcadia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:26 am
Zephyrkitty
Xilo The Odd
Carchar-odin
- Make Wii U games compatible with the Gamecube controller. I have to admit, the Wii controller's novelty wore off for me a long time ago and I have a feeling it'll happen with the Wii U's controller too.
no THAT depends on the developers, if the developers didn't cram the new controllers features in like a lazy person they could make a game really good. like the first example was not even big but it would make a game so much less complicated, an inventory screen.

I'm really mixed on the idea of putting inventory screens on the controller screen. Using two different screens worked with the DS and 3DS, but that was because the screens are right next to each other. With the Wii U, you have to keep looking away from one screen to see the other. This is fine in turn-based games like Pokémon where you can fiddle around with your inventory and not need to worry about a wild pokémon attacking you while you aren't paying attention, but taking a few seconds to swap your inventory around in Zelda means the boss gets free attacks in.

Pausing doesn't necessarily fix it, either. Everyone keeps saying that constant access to your inventory will streamline games and make them less complicated, but pausing to mess with your inventory is exactly what you do in games nowadays. If anything it makes everything more complicated since pause and inventory are separate controls now.

I'm certainly interested in seeing what companies do with the Wii U, but just sticking every game's inventory screen on the controller would be a terrible idea.

Personally, I'm not very pleased with the Wii U controller. Not only have touchscreens been done to death at this point, but the controller looks as big as the first Wii itself (albeit not as thick). It's like someone in Nintendo gutted a Wii console, stuck a few buttons and a couple of analog sticks and decided to put a big a** screen in the middle. I'll wait and see how it turns out, but right now it looks cumbersome and damn uncomfortable to me.  

Sir Codin

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:34 am
Zephyrkitty
Xilo The Odd
Carchar-odin
- Make Wii U games compatible with the Gamecube controller. I have to admit, the Wii controller's novelty wore off for me a long time ago and I have a feeling it'll happen with the Wii U's controller too.
no THAT depends on the developers, if the developers didn't cram the new controllers features in like a lazy person they could make a game really good. like the first example was not even big but it would make a game so much less complicated, an inventory screen.

I'm really mixed on the idea of putting inventory screens on the controller screen. Using two different screens worked with the DS and 3DS, but that was because the screens are right next to each other. With the Wii U, you have to keep looking away from one screen to see the other. This is fine in turn-based games like Pokémon where you can fiddle around with your inventory and not need to worry about a wild pokémon attacking you while you aren't paying attention, but taking a few seconds to swap your inventory around in Zelda means the boss gets free attacks in.

Pausing doesn't necessarily fix it, either. Everyone keeps saying that constant access to your inventory will streamline games and make them less complicated, but pausing to mess with your inventory is exactly what you do in games nowadays. If anything it makes everything more complicated since pause and inventory are separate controls now.

I'm certainly interested in seeing what companies do with the Wii U, but just sticking every game's inventory screen on the controller would be a terrible idea.
yeah, but while your diggin around in your backpack for a grenade is the enemy gonna sit there and wait while you find it to throw it at them?

yeah for some games it might not work and possibly ruin the games. but for some it could really make it worth while to utilize the second screen for gameplay elements. others it could be as simple as a motion detection radar, a 3-d map for metroid, a pointer with a few quick icons for other menu based things, it can be useful, id rather have it so there is ABSOLUTLY NOT EVEN THE TINIEST WAIT TIME between playing the game and looking at a map in a metroid game, i look down at screen 2, figure out where to go, look back up and play. not. Z.. look at map.. close.. play. it'd be changetomaplookatitchangebacktoradarplay.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:42 am
Carchar-odin
Personally, I'm not very pleased with the Wii U controller. Not only have touchscreens been done to death at this point, but the controller looks as big as the first Wii itself (albeit not as thick). It's like someone in Nintendo gutted a Wii console, stuck a few buttons and a couple of analog sticks and decided to put a big a** screen in the middle. I'll wait and see how it turns out, but right now it looks cumbersome and damn uncomfortable to me.

My first console was the N64. I'm prepared for any awkwardly-shaped controller someone decides to release.

I agree about the controller looking really big (my first thought when I saw the controller was that it was some sort of new handheld system). I don't really have problems with touchscreens in general, although putting one on a controller - something no one actually looks at unless they're new to video games - seemed really bizarre to me.

As for being cumbersome, it really depends on how people implement the controller in games. The DS was great despite having a touchscreen and a bunch of buttons, so it can clearly be done well. They could also use the second screen for completely different things (like a camera for a Pokémon Snap or Fatal Frame sequel?). Hopefully they'll figure out what does and doesn't work with the Wii U controller quickly.

Xilo The Odd
yeah, but while your diggin around in your backpack for a grenade is the enemy gonna sit there and wait while you find it to throw it at them?

yeah for some games it might not work and possibly ruin the games. but for some it could really make it worth while to utilize the second screen for gameplay elements. others it could be as simple as a motion detection radar, a 3-d map for metroid, a pointer with a few quick icons for other menu based things, it can be useful, id rather have it so there is ABSOLUTLY NOT EVEN THE TINIEST WAIT TIME between playing the game and looking at a map in a metroid game, i look down at screen 2, figure out where to go, look back up and play. not. Z.. look at map.. close.. play. it'd be changetomaplookatitchangebacktoradarplay.

It varies with the game, but in general that's one of those breaks from reality that I don't have a problem with since it makes the game less frustrating. Most games that pause while you're looking through your inventory (or have a turn-based battle system) aren't going for realism in the first place, anyway.

How the second screen should be utilized will vary, so any of those might work well for certain games. Honestly, there are probably games that would benefit from the inventory being on the touchscreen. I just want the game companies to think through what they're doing with the touchscreen (and for the gaming community to stop with the idea that everything should use it for an inventory screen).

I don't know that there's much of a time difference between pushing the map button and looking at a second screen, though.  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

GrowingDandelion

5,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:58 pm
I want to see more Zelda games that breaks away from the "Link saves Zelda and defeats Ganondorf in Hyrule" formula, and goes more into what Majora's Mask seemed to do in exploring the entire universe outside of Hyrule. Skyward Sword looks like it's trying to do this, but to me it just seems like it's trying to make Twilight Princess look less like Ocarina of Time (sans ocarina) on steroids.

Windwaker was good in that sense, because although it had Zelda, Ganon, the Master Sword, etc, it was set after Hyrule was destroyed and everything had evolved, so it was unique in that sense and added to the overall series.

So to sum it up, I want to see Zelda games stop looking like rehashes of themselves.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:36 pm
Zephyrkitty
Carchar-odin

My first console was the N64. I'm prepared for any awkwardly-shaped controller someone decides to release.

I agree about the controller looking really big (my first thought when I saw the controller was that it was some sort of new handheld system). I don't really have problems with touchscreens in general, although putting one on a controller - something no one actually looks at unless they're new to video games - seemed really bizarre to me.

As for being cumbersome, it really depends on how people implement the controller in games. The DS was great despite having a touchscreen and a bunch of buttons, so it can clearly be done well. They could also use the second screen for completely different things (like a camera for a Pokémon Snap or Fatal Frame sequel?). Hopefully they'll figure out what does and doesn't work with the Wii U controller quickly.

Xilo The Odd

It varies with the game, but in general that's one of those breaks from reality that I don't have a problem with since it makes the game less frustrating. Most games that pause while you're looking through your inventory (or have a turn-based battle system) aren't going for realism in the first place, anyway.

How the second screen should be utilized will vary, so any of those might work well for certain games. Honestly, there are probably games that would benefit from the inventory being on the touchscreen. I just want the game companies to think through what they're doing with the touchscreen (and for the gaming community to stop with the idea that everything should use it for an inventory screen).

I don't know that there's much of a time difference between pushing the map button and looking at a second screen, though.
im just sayin, try playing metroid prime. hit Z, theres a small load time or wait time thats not neccesary. when i could have a full map to look at whenever i please.  

Xilo The Odd

Jennalaia

Salty Sleuth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:14 pm
I'd mostly like to see cheaper consoles and games. Brain Age was not worth the 30 bucks I coughed up.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:31 pm
Economic inflation.

it happens.

a cheap console is finding a NES on craigs list for 20$
the original NES opening price was 100$ wasn't it? it was somehwere in that range.  

Xilo The Odd

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:42 am
GrowingDandelion

So to sum it up, I want to see Zelda games stop looking like rehashes of themselves.

Tbh, I think Skyward Sword looks pretty fresh, if not just because of the addition of Wii Motionplus. I'm really excited for it.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:48 am
'I want Zelda games to be different but the same'

Seems to be a lot of fan's sentiments.

"to me it just seems like it's trying to make Twilight Princess look less like Ocarina of Time (sans ocarina) on steroids. "

What even is this?  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:37 am
maybe its time for a new zelda villain? Ganon, Ganondorf, Vaahti, maybe they need an enemy of Ganondorf's to also be an enemy to all hyrule as well.

i dunno, something, then maybe no one could call it a rehash.

if all else fails, GTA 6 Hyrule  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:46 am
Xilo The Odd
maybe its time for a new zelda villain? Ganon, Ganondorf, Vaahti, maybe they need an enemy of Ganondorf's to also be an enemy to all hyrule as well.

Skyward Sword does have a new villain. It's that emo guy.  

Waynebrizzle

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm
Waynebrizzle
Xilo The Odd

Skyward Sword does have a new villain. It's that emo guy.
ah.

i havn't been reading much on it.

besides he could jsut end up like the supposed new villain everyone thought was in TP, then it turned out ganon was behind him anyway.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm
Yeah, but in this case I'm pretty sure they've outright said that they were trying to move away from Ganon.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas