Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
If you live in a place where gay marriage is illeagal... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

airforce_freak6678

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 pm
Sunshine Peach-Heart
Honestly, I think the whole fuss over gay marriage is stupid. Having people vote on ballads and say "Should we (il)legalize gay marriage?" is like saying "Should we ban French kissing?" It's something just between a couple, not the entire government. I live in Massachusetts so it's legal. And if one of my friends were marrying a person of the same sex and everyone was too homophobic/biphobic to help with the wedding, I would help! biggrin

HIGH FIVE for living in MA! biggrin And yeah as previously stated if you get married in a state that allows it, the state(s) where it is illegal will not recognize it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 am
If I where to ever get married and I left to a state where it was legal (I'm also in Cali -_-) lets say Massachusetts, since its the only state that comes to mind at the moment, I wouldn't be able to just get married right away. I was watching some show where it said you would have to be a resident for a certain amount of time before you'd actually be able to get married owo  

Naibzel

9,150 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100

1ThousandCranes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:24 am
Visual Brian
1ThousandCranes
If you move back, they won't recognize your marriage anyway so you might as well stay in a place that does.

That being said, I too think it should be legal everywhere.

I think they will actually have to acknowledge your marriage. Because marriage is more of a federal institution, all states have to recognize it. There may be different treatments on the couple depending on the state, but it should be recognized.

Correct me if I'm wrong. sweatdrop

I think that civil unions don't have to be acknowledged in all states though because it's more of a state thing. One of the complaints about them is that if your state doesn't acknowledge civil unions, you have to go to a state that does in order to leave the union.

It's been a while since I've "studied" this so I could be wrong in all honesty.

DOMA - hasn't been repealed yet, so the Fed says only a man and woman can marry...

Which leaves the "Full Faith and Credit" between the states, but let's be honest. If they don't have gay marriage/civil unions in that state, do you really think they'll acknowledge one?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:58 pm
Kanu22
Sarah_L_Awesome
to be honest, i don't understand this whole thing. why people decide we shouldn't get married is stupid because we're practically voicless in that debate. seriously what can we do? the homophobic community makes our choices for us, it's like we're all little kids. so i guess the way it goes in the states is "the gouvernment tells you that you can't do something... you can't" depends on the place i guess

To play devils advocate here, it's not just a homophobic community. You're taking the foundations for which somthing has been set on for several hundred years, and trying to shift it. We won't get what we want by just asking and expecting it to change. It doesn't work that way.

Nothing worth anything in this world is recived without a fight of some kind. The right to marry in this case, is no acception. compare it to any other fight the nation has had: African American rights, Native American Rights, Women's rights. They all took a course of at least a hundred years to accomplish what they set out to do. When you look at our movement, it only started back in about the sixties (in this case I'm using this marker due to the protesting that came out full force during LBJ's presidency and the Vietnam era).

the u.s. actually got it's independence from asking 10 000 times but i do agree we're gonna have to fight for our right to marry in some way  

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200

fire_girl_1000

Durem Survivor

9,600 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:19 pm
Where I live, the "issue" is being debated. The governor tried to make it recognized, while a gay rights bill for marriage was defeated. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:39 pm
Most places in canada it allowed . it mostly the states and other places that have a promblem with it  

SirAngelx

Wealthy Vampire

Kanu22

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm
Sarah_L_Awesome
Kanu22
Sarah_L_Awesome
to be honest, i don't understand this whole thing. why people decide we shouldn't get married is stupid because we're practically voicless in that debate. seriously what can we do? the homophobic community makes our choices for us, it's like we're all little kids. so i guess the way it goes in the states is "the gouvernment tells you that you can't do something... you can't" depends on the place i guess

To play devils advocate here, it's not just a homophobic community. You're taking the foundations for which somthing has been set on for several hundred years, and trying to shift it. We won't get what we want by just asking and expecting it to change. It doesn't work that way.

Nothing worth anything in this world is recived without a fight of some kind. The right to marry in this case, is no acception. compare it to any other fight the nation has had: African American rights, Native American Rights, Women's rights. They all took a course of at least a hundred years to accomplish what they set out to do. When you look at our movement, it only started back in about the sixties (in this case I'm using this marker due to the protesting that came out full force during LBJ's presidency and the Vietnam era).

the u.s. actually got it's independence from asking 10 000 times but i do agree we're gonna have to fight for our right to marry in some way

But let's also not forgot the Revolutionary War, and everything else preceeding up to, and even still, the British occupation of the American colonists to "ensure" that there was no directly bias misconduct to the loyalists.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:02 pm
I live in Georgia. crying  

caleighxo

5,900 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Invisibility 100

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 pm
Sadly, only some states will recognize a marriage licence given in anouther state. Even if you do get married and stay there, you wont get many marriage rights because gay marriage is not recognized federaly, so we are pretty f***ed at this point in time.
Visual Brian
1ThousandCranes
If you move back, they won't recognize your marriage anyway so you might as well stay in a place that does.

I think they will actually have to acknowledge your marriage. Because marriage is more of a federal institution, all states have to recognize it. There may be different treatments on the couple depending on the state, but it should be recognized.

I think that civil unions don't have to be acknowledged in all states though because it's more of a state thing. One of the complaints about them is that if your state doesn't acknowledge civil unions, you have to go to a state that does in order to leave the union.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:26 pm
In Ireland you only have civil partnership and any exsisting same sex marriage is only recognised as far as a civil partnership so getting married somewhere else wouldn't solve the problem.  

Nimessa

Girl-Crazy Nerd

13,175 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 pm
AngelxRazors
Most places in canada it allowed . it mostly the states and other places that have a promblem with it

It is legally recognized everywhere in Canada, actually.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 pm
Upholding gay marriage bans on religious grounds is a fallacy unless you want the government to also stop recognizing the marriages of all atheists. Doing it on the grounds of child-bearing grounds is a fallacy unless all people who are barren, sterile, or post-menopausal are also forbidden to marry and have any existing marriages dissolved.
What's worse than gay marriage being outlawed is the fact that those who do it aren't even unilaterally called out on their own bigotry.  

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

airforce_freak6678

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 pm
Matasoga
Upholding gay marriage bans on religious grounds is a fallacy unless you want the government to also stop recognizing the marriages of all atheists.

That is not all they would have to do...
If bans could be upheld and subsequently created on religious grounds the following would need to be banned:
-The ingestion of pork
-The teaching of Evolution (outlawed in some US states)
-round haircuts
-football (pig skin)
-Fortune telling
-Tattoos
-Gardens with multiple different plants
-Polyester
-Divorce
-People with out testicles or a p***s (this is referring to men not women) into church.
-Wearing Gold
-Shellfish (such as Lobster)
-A women defending herself by grabbing a man's gentles
-Shaving
-Cursing
-Associating with menstruating women
-Gossip
Just to list a few things.

The Neko CatGirl
Sadly, only some states will recognize a marriage licence given in anouther state. Even if you do get married and stay there, you wont get many marriage rights because gay marriage is not recognized federaly, so we are pretty f***ed at this point in time.
Visual Brian
1ThousandCranes

If the state recognizes it, you get the marriage benefits the state gives you, the state can also decide that gay marriages qualify for the federal rights as well. Just like the state sets the standards for who gets federal unemployment and not.

@visual brian: marriage is loosely regulated on the federal level, and each state has total control over what type of marriage/union(s) they allow, hence the reason a Massachusetts marriage license is issued by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and not the federal government.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 pm
but, not federal benefits like : joint income taxes, social security benefits, medicaid, employment assistance, and many many more. "According to the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO), there are 1,138[1] statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. These rights and responsibilities apply only to male-female couples, as the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines marriage as between a man and a woman." wikipedia
Rights and resposibilities
airforce_freak6678
Matasoga
Upholding gay marriage bans on religious grounds is a fallacy unless you want the government to also stop recognizing the marriages of all atheists.

If bans could be upheld and subsequently created on religious grounds the following would need to be banned:
-The ingestion of pork
-round haircuts
-football (pig skin)
-Fortune telling
-Tattoos
-Polyester
-Divorce
-People with out testicles or a p***s (this is referring to men not women) into church.
-Wearing Gold
-Shaving
-Cursing
-Gossip

The Neko CatGirl
Visual Brian
1ThousandCranes

If the state recognizes it, you get the marriage benefits the state gives you, the state can also decide that gay marriages qualify for the federal rights as well. Just like the state sets the standards for who gets federal unemployment and not.

Symptom_of_Society

Fatcat

airforce_freak6678

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:26 pm
Forgot about that, the DOMA is also why states do not have to recognize that of other states (when male-female)....
However the DoJ (Department of Justice) was in February of 2011 (this year) instructed not to defend section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act by President Obama, section 3 was deemed unconstitutional.
"The President has also concluded that Section 3 of DOMA, as applied to legally married same-sex couples, fails to meet that standard and is therefore unconstitutional. Given that conclusion, the President has instructed the Department not to defend the statute in such cases."[4] On February 24, the Department of Justice notified the First Circuit Court of Appeals that it will "cease to defend" Gill and Massachusetts as well."

Wikipedia

Currently congress has taken the place of the DoJ in all court cases regarding the Defense of Marriage Act,

btw the url tag failed cause http:// is there twice.

The Neko CatGirl
but, not federal benefits like : joint income taxes, social security benefits, medicaid, employment assistance, and many many more. "According to the United States Government Accountability Office (GAO), there are 1,138[1] statutory provisions in which marital status is a factor in determining benefits, rights, and privileges. These rights and responsibilities apply only to male-female couples, as the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) defines marriage as between a man and a woman." wikipedia
Rights and resposibilities
airforce_freak6678
Matasoga

-The ingestion of pork
-round haircuts
-football (pig skin)
-Fortune telling
-Tattoos
-Polyester
-Divorce
-Wearing Gold
-Shaving
-Cursing
-Gossip

The Neko CatGirl
Visual Brian
1ThousandCranes

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff