Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Rape & Abuse Subforum
Article: Gang Rape Outside School Dance Lasted Over 2 Hours Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

11holala11

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:21 pm
This is only a few miles away from where I live... crying

Reading stuff like this sickens me.
I'll never understand how so many people were watching and no one did anything...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:27 pm
LorienLlewellyn
Valgex
I heard about this, the crowd that was watching could have easily stopped it(power in numbers) and call the proper authorities. What is wrong with people?

There have been numerous studies done on that very subject. It seems that when people are in a crowd and witnessing a crime, they're usually even less likely to get help. Most people sort of freeze up. Everyone waits for someone else to do something. They all think sort of think, "Should I do something? Can I do something? Is this a joke? Is there something I don't know about here? Will I look stupid if I try to stop it? Will everyone gang up on me? Will the rest of the crowd back me up?" So there actually might have been some decent but scared people in that crowd.

Yep I've heard about that too. I remember learning about that effect in one or more of my psychology classes. Something to do with being among their peers/other people and going along with what everyone else is doing. If they consider going against what everyone else is doing, they consider the things you mentioned in your post.  

Nikolita
Captain

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:04 am
I wouldn't normally bump such an old thread, but this is a pretty big case, and it looks like there is another update.

Teen gang-rape victim in California settles for $4 million
Published: 1/22 1:41 pm

"RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) - Attorneys say a teenage girl who was gang-raped outside a Northern California high school reached a $4 million settlement with the school district.

The value of the deal in the civil claim against the West Contra Costa Unified School District was revealed this week. It was approved by a judge in November, but its terms were not previously disclosed.

The girl's attorney, Richard Schoenberger, says district officials agreed that it was not in the girl's best interest to endure depositions or a civil trial.

The Contra Costa Times reports that only $100,000 of the amount is coming from the school district. The rest is covered by a joint powers authority of which the district is a member.

Six people have pleaded not guilty to charges stemming from the October 2009 rape, which occurred during the Richmond High School homecoming dance."
http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/Teen-gang-rape-victim-in-California-settles-for-4/R4y7ZexX9U2wi3IrPTB7hw.cspx  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:52 pm
That is an interesting update. Thank you for sharing!  

Nikolita
Captain

Rape & Abuse Subforum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas