Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Europe. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:38 pm
In Medias Res IV
Britomartis-the-Valiant
An Unknown Kunoichi
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Well, I talked to the head of the Global Studies department, and she told me that if I wanted to specialize in the Middle East, I'd have to study a year in Israel. I'm leaning away from this option, not that I don't like Israel (quite the opposite), but I am unwilling to be abroad for a year. I feel like I am not ready for that, especially emotionally. I'd miss my family and friends too much, and frankly LDRs suck. If it were only for a semester, I'd have no problem.
If I go for international economic development, I'm not sure if I have to study in a country where they speak the language that I choose (which in this case would be Spanish). Spanish is the only language I've studied where I could be close enough to intermediate level that I wouldn't have to take as many classes in it.
If these don't work out, I'd probably find another major and study abroad wherever I please which could vary depending on the program I find.

Are you doing a Bachelor degree in International Studies? !~

If you are, where are you taking it? I've applied for this course for next year.

Oh, and thanks for the replies so far! =) Any more info?

No, there is no International Studies at my uni, but there is Global Studies. I'm not sure what the difference is really. Perhaps in the concentrations and requirements?

GO TO ISRAEL mad

Mother just told me today that if she gets through her surgery, she wants to go to Spain so it looks like we're going to Spain, Portugal and Morocco in the summer.

Oh, I am going to Israel- maybe not for study abroad, maybe not for vacation, but I will go.
And that sounds like a cool trip. Enjoy the lovely climate, you lucky person!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:01 pm
I've always wondered what the Armenian Quarter looks like.  

Moral Pot

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:43 pm
I've got an update:

I'm now a Global Studies major- huzzah!
Now, what language, where to study abroad, what concentration?

Unfortunately, Israel is mostly out of the question- the California study abroad programs is suspending the program in Israel because it now has a U.S. State Department Travel Warning. emo

I'm kinda unsure of what to do now.  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces