Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sacred Grove

Back to Guilds

A guild for Pagans of all stripes. Spirituality and religion-focused, celebrating nature and the gods. 

Tags: Paganism, Pagan, witchcraft, Goddess, Wicca 

Reply Extended Discussion & Debate
titles and changed perceptions Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXrainbowrazorsXx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:04 am
sorry what i ment to say was CONDICENDING.

And druids do have constant rituals like the summer/winter solsice, harvest and many SIMILAR to that of pagan or wiccan.

druidy is similar to christianity in the way that you can follow the path but not "go to church" so to speak.

Druidisim shares many core beliefs with many other religons, like be good to nature, worships the gods, be a good person in ths life and you will have a good after life.

then there are the principal of that makes a "person"
Three things are becoming a person: knowledge, good deeds, and gentleness.
Three things without which there can be nothing good: truth, valor, and generosity.
The three manifestations of the true human are: civility, generosity, and compassion.

a bit like the 10 commandments.

would you have such a problem if they were not called druids?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:17 am
Violet Song jat Shariff

Electronic is a type, and House and Dance are subset under it.

thats was my point

Violet Song jat Shariff

And this whole "it depends on how far into it you are!" line is dreck. All it says to me about you is that you're into it enough to know the word, but not into it enough to know the history and understand the culture. You don't need to be immersed in a culture to learn its history or the way it works.

please don't pretend to know anything about me.

and you can read about a cultur all you want but untill you have exprienced it you never really know.

Violet Song jat Shariff

What kind of heritage would you be displaying by holding such a strong sense of self-entitlement? What does it say about you when you try to proclaim your heritage while at the same time ignoring very important aspects of it? Does your heritage only work for you when it makes you feel like teh sp3shul ch0zen 0n3? And this doesn't even begin to touch on the fact that having heritage does not make one a member of a culture

i do not ignore that my ancestors were murdered i NEVER said that.
and a strong sense of self entitlement is also know as pride.

Violet Song jat Shariff

Does your heritage only work for you when it makes you feel like teh sp3shul ch0zen 0n3?

does it make you fell better about you insecurities to make fun of people??  

xXrainbowrazorsXx

ncsweet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:21 pm
xXrainbowrazorsXx

Now you are getting the point - it isn't the path itself that anyone necessarily has issue with - it's the use of the title "Druid" within such paths.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:19 am
xXrainbowrazorsXx
And druids do have constant rituals like the summer/winter solsice, harvest and many SIMILAR to that of pagan or wiccan.

Druid rituals are not similar to Wiccan rituals or to many other forms of Pagan rituals.

The important thing here is that druid rituals differ from organisation to organisation. And, for that matter, from grove to grove within organization. So you cannot state any particular ritual form as definitive of druidry as a religion, because they differ.

Solstice is not a ritual. It is a holiday.

Quote:
druidy is similar to christianity in the way that you can follow the path but not "go to church" so to speak.

True of Paganism as a whole. Not a defining aspect.

Quote:
Druidisim shares many core beliefs with many other religons, like be good to nature, worships the gods, be a good person in ths life and you will have a good after life.

So how is it its own particular religion? What distinguishes one particular path called "druidry" out of Neo-Paganism as a whole? It still just sounds like "generic neo-Paganism" to me.

Quote:
then there are the principal of that makes a "person"
Three things are becoming a person: knowledge, good deeds, and gentleness.
Three things without which there can be nothing good: truth, valor, and generosity.
The three manifestations of the true human are: civility, generosity, and compassion.

Are these present within OBOD, ADF, BDO and others? I did not come across it in ADF.

Quote:

This has been brought up several times. You are defending reasons for using the term "druid". We are saying that it is not appropriate. The validity of the path is irrelevant here.

The reason I asked for defining aspects of "druidry" as a whole is because the word is used, as the name for a religion, in description of paths that are significantly different - to the point where someone in one path can be a Christian and still be a druid, while the other says one MUST be a Pagan and worship Indo-European gods. One path links the term solely with Celtic cultures and the other says you can worship only the Greek gods and call yourself a druid. These paths differ to the extent that there are few things linking the two paths. As such, they are not the same religion.

You yourself have not given me anything that distinguishes "druidry" from generic neo-paganism and applies to all groups that call themselves "druid". Why then call druidry a religion, if effectively all it means is "generic neo-pagan"? We already have the term "pagan", which is actually accurate and doesn't offend cultures to the same extent.  

Sanguina Cruenta
Captain

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Rabbit the Renegade

Wheezing Gawker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:29 pm
Sanguina Cruenta
My viewpoint on the title itself has been covered.

But even apart from that, if we were to grand validity to the term "neo-druid", it doesn't mean anything. It has no definition that isn't already adequately covered by "neo-pagan". The variety of practices from group to group is far too wide and eclectic for the title to have any actual meaning. I have asked many people who identify as druids and they all explain their own order's definition of the word, but fail to explain how that word can also apply to a group whose beliefs and practices differ significanty to their own.

I see no purpose or place for the word in today's society. It has no adequate meaning, thus, why would we need it?

Because we still play D&D! xd

...Sorry, just trying to lighten zeh mood... *Pokes fingers together*

Really though, I think that's where it comes from, this whole obsession with using the word "Druid" for something completely different from its original meaning. The fantasy genre of entertainment has added an alternate definition to it to also refer to sorts of nature priests, and such (damn you, Gary Gygax!).  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:13 am
ecko-san
Sanguina Cruenta
My viewpoint on the title itself has been covered.

But even apart from that, if we were to grand validity to the term "neo-druid", it doesn't mean anything. It has no definition that isn't already adequately covered by "neo-pagan". The variety of practices from group to group is far too wide and eclectic for the title to have any actual meaning. I have asked many people who identify as druids and they all explain their own order's definition of the word, but fail to explain how that word can also apply to a group whose beliefs and practices differ significanty to their own.

I see no purpose or place for the word in today's society. It has no adequate meaning, thus, why would we need it?

Because we still play D&D! xd

...Sorry, just trying to lighten zeh mood... *Pokes fingers together*

Really though, I think that's where it comes from, this whole obsession with using the word "Druid" for something completely different from its original meaning. The fantasy genre of entertainment has added an alternate definition to it to also refer to sorts of nature priests, and such (damn you, Gary Gygax!).
Actually Gary took the word in a way it had already been modified. We can merely credit him with popularizing "druid" as meaning "nature priest"  

Briar Drake

5,200 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Extended Discussion & Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items