Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Rant about modesty Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:43 am
No, I am certainly not saying that it's never a sign of oppression.

On a similar note, I know of people who are part of a Christian homeschooler group (not all such groups are this way; don't get the wrong impression) which requires women to always wear lengthy dresses or skirts. Many cultish groups restrict women's clothes especially.  
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm
Oh, certainly. Just look at the the Fundamentalist Mormon church (the haaaair gonk ).  

Eccentric Iconoclast

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:33 am
Eccentric Iconoclast
Oh, certainly. Just look at the the Fundamentalist Mormon church (the haaaair gonk ).

Pentecostal women have long (and generally unkept) hair too.  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 am
I have never seen a mormon... what's so specific about their hair?
I want to grow mine to my hips [currently it's below shoulder blades] and perhaps wear it in a braid, I loooooooooooooove long hair.

I have a lot against islam and specifically the oppression of women [not just in the matter of clothing, that's maybe the smallest aspect].
Anyways as for clothing, I am a prude and that's not going to change. I don't want to be seen as a sexualized thing. The only times I want to be sexy is in privacy with my love. But as for clothing, I don't wear tight things, I think that heels are silly and I even have a dislike for skirts that are shorter than below the knees razz  

Ametrin

Verderbnis
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:03 pm
That's about it:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:25 am
rofl
Modest clothes don't have to be ugly though! blaugh  

Ametrin

p934

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:14 pm
User Image
أسْمِي نويل

In Medias Res III
The more modest I dress, the less frequently I attract negative attention.

This.

I don't wear a head scarf, but I do make an effort to dress with relative modesty, and it makes me happy. I don't do it because I think I'm going to get struck by lightning if my skirt is too short... I just feel like I command more respect and am more confident when I am dressed modestly. Also, like you said, when I am modest, I attract the kinds of people (romantically and as friends) that I want to spend time with.
الّسَلامُ عَلِيْكُم

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:52 pm
^ Agreed.

While I don't wear ultra modest clothes (long skirts and long-sleeved blouses and headcoverings), I do try to be modestly dressed as well as act modestly. This is mostly for my own comfort so I won't constantly worry about neckline slipping or anything. If people don't want to be around me because I am not fashionable or sexually appealing, then it's all the better for me.

However, I don't think that it's my fault if someone sins through lusting for me (and that's a big if). I just mention this because I know some girls with this attitude, believing that their beauty is something to protect people from.  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

The World Mosaic

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas