Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:28 pm
Xeigrich
Forgedawn
Kintarans use a base ten counting system and a coin system (which I made up mostly to say "Hey, look, the smaller ones have less value!"). I don't even remember most of it though sad Is sad. Lïtihla is lacking in number stuff, I think. Don't remember. It's been a while since I worked on it.

JeSuisMustapha
but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely

Haha. You don't know hexadecimal, do you? F in hex is "15" in decimal.

Also, I can count binary on my digits. By doing so, I can get to 1023 on ten fingers wink http://www.intuitor.com/counting/

Actually, he said Base Six, aka "Heximal" or "Senary," not Hexadecimal. Hexadecimal is "Base Sixteen."

Base Six:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10=6, 11=7, 12=8, 13=9, 14=10, 15=11, 20=12
Basically, you can't use the digit "6" so it starts over as 0 and you 'carry the one.'

Hexidecimal:
0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15, 10=16 ... 20=32

Just wanted to clear that up! I mean, I already basically posted this a few posts up, but that was many months ago, hehe.
Yay, you understand me! So which way would you go?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:31 pm
Forgedawn
Xeigrich
Forgedawn
Kintarans use a base ten counting system and a coin system (which I made up mostly to say "Hey, look, the smaller ones have less value!"). I don't even remember most of it though sad Is sad. Lïtihla is lacking in number stuff, I think. Don't remember. It's been a while since I worked on it.

JeSuisMustapha
but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely

Haha. You don't know hexadecimal, do you? F in hex is "15" in decimal.

Also, I can count binary on my digits. By doing so, I can get to 1023 on ten fingers wink http://www.intuitor.com/counting/

Actually, he said Base Six, aka "Heximal" or "Senary," not Hexadecimal. Hexadecimal is "Base Sixteen."

Base Six:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10=6, 11=7, 12=8, 13=9, 14=10, 15=11, 20=12
Basically, you can't use the digit "6" so it starts over as 0 and you 'carry the one.'

Hexidecimal:
0, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A=10, B=11, C=12, D=13, E=14, F=15, 10=16 ... 20=32

Just wanted to clear that up! I mean, I already basically posted this a few posts up, but that was many months ago, hehe.

Yes, I know the difference between base six and hexadecimal. The point I was making was that you can have more than 10 digits (0-F, or in the case of a base twelve system, 0-C). If you read the full post:
JeSuisMustapha
I really want to make a base-12 number system because of the natural feel and simplicity to it, but that many numbers in one digit space seems a tad unwieldy. So, I thought of making it base six, turning 12 into the new twenty, if you are following my train of thought, not likely icon_sweatdrop.gif .

I sure hope I know the difference, I have a test on Thursday...
The only problem we went over today that wasn't on the homework was 0xFEE * 0xBAD. Our teacher has a strange sense of humor.

Sorry to sound petty (because rereading this, I think I sound that way, but I wanted to point out anyway)...

12 is a pretty cool number. Isn't our time system based on .....some kind of Mesopotamian number system that's base 60, or maybe base 20 and then it was 30 that gave time? I'm confusing myself now. Still. 50_12 = 10_60. Coinkydink? Me tinks naught. Is make awrsome.

dramallama nerdnerdnerd. I should spend half as much time studying circuits.

Hmm...

You misunderstood that I misunderstood that you weren't misunderstanding in the first place. sweatdrop  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:52 pm
JeSuisMustapha
<>

Yay, you understand me! So which way would you go?

Oh, well, um...

I like both! XD

Honestly, I'd go with Base 12. You have to use ABC but if you ask me it's less confusing, especially for anyone who's familiar with Hex at all. With Base 6, you're slightly more likely to forget whether you wrote that number in Base Six or in Base 10, since you only see regular numeric digits.

I dunno, I just like Base 12 better than Base Six.

(And do please forgive the double post..... I did it quite intentionally)

EDIT:

I say "you have to use ABC" but that's not true. You only have to use ABC when representing your Base 12 numbers in English or other real-world transcripts. In your own conlang, it's far easier to just have 12 actual digits/numbers. It only makes sense if Base 12 is their "native" numbering system.  
The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff