Reply Debate and Discussion
the unforgivable sin? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sybil Unrest

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:35 am
When talking about the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit it is best to look at the context in which it was mentioned.

Matthew 12:22-31
Then a blind and dumb demoniac was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the dumb man spoke and saw. And all the people were amazed, and said, "Can this be the Son of David?" But when the Pharisees heard it they said, "It is only by Be-elzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons." Knowing their thoughts, he said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand; and if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself; how then will his kingdom stand? And if I cast out demons by Be-elzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges. But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or how can one enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house. He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me scatters. Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

Jesus was speaking to those Pharisees who accused him of casting out demons by Satan instead of the Spirit of God - that is the blasphemy of the Spirit, to deny the Spirit's action and ascribe it to Satan.

For further information, see these sites:
CARM
PreacherStudy
Google Search Results  
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:46 am
mazuac
lordstar
Valandil517
Ya, for if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your savior, then there is nothing shielding you from God's wrath upon the sinners. For by the blood of Jesus we were forgiven. I do not think that there is another one.

if what you say is true then I see only one practical thing to do
rebel against an unjust wrathful god

what happened to the love
lost in dogma I think

Well, why would you rebel against the creator of the universe? Your creator, and sustainer? That seems kinda' pointless to me...

sometimes doing what is right doesn't work out in the best way

bottom line
I would rather fail then not try  

lordstar

Mystic_moon15

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:08 pm
lordstar

sometimes doing what is right doesn't work out in the best way

bottom line
I would rather fail then not try

i actually understand where you are coming from there.

and as to the original question for this thread i agree with what many others have said. that blasphemy is the unforgivable sin.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:14 pm
I have worked around horses pretty much all of my life, and now I see a chance to relate this to my religion. A truly respectable horseman (refers to both sexes) looks at the horse with a sense of humility, knowing that anything he or she does will not be met with a guaranteed response. The horse is not a machine that has been programmed, but a living being that is free to make decisions of its own. A horseman can throw his or her heart and soul into working with that particular beast, but nevertheless the horse may choose to be unruly, disobedient, and distrustful. It is the way the world works.
There is no love without the freedom to choose it; there is no such thing as forced love. Thus, God gave us the freedom to do as we please, which also gives us the freedom to sin. This brings us to the initial question of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit: the "unforgivable sin." Essentially, this is the refusal of God. He respects our choices; if we honestly do not want to come to him, he is not going to force us. It is not God's wrath that will land upon us, but our own misery at having refused our opportunity at everlasting love. However, "unforgivable sin" is not a very apt title. If one was to turn around and change his or her views, and decide to come back to God, he or she would be treated as gently and lovingly as had he or she not turned away at all.

God is love, and love knows no boundaries.  

Ethan Irkel Yeager

lordstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:40 pm
Ethan Irkel Yeager
I have worked around horses pretty much all of my life, and now I see a chance to relate this to my religion. A truly respectable horseman (refers to both sexes) looks at the horse with a sense of humility, knowing that anything he or she does will not be met with a guaranteed response. The horse is not a machine that has been programmed, but a living being that is free to make decisions of its own. A horseman can throw his or her heart and soul into working with that particular beast, but nevertheless the horse may choose to be unruly, disobedient, and distrustful. It is the way the world works.
There is no love without the freedom to choose it; there is no such thing as forced love. Thus, God gave us the freedom to do as we please, which also gives us the freedom to sin. This brings us to the initial question of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit: the "unforgivable sin." Essentially, this is the refusal of God. He respects our choices; if we honestly do not want to come to him, he is not going to force us. It is not God's wrath that will land upon us, but our own misery at having refused our opportunity at everlasting love. However, "unforgivable sin" is not a very apt title. If one was to turn around and change his or her views, and decide to come back to God, he or she would be treated as gently and lovingly as had he or she not turned away at all.

God is love, and love knows no boundaries.

I wonder
can someone choose to turn back to god after death?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:50 am
lordstar

I wonder

What is your basis for asking?  

rillegas08

lordstar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 pm
rillegas08
lordstar

I wonder

I want to know
that is all
no real reason for asking other then to see what people think  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:34 pm
Answer to Question #1: I believe the unforgivable sin is sicide because you can't say, 'Lord, please forgive me for what I am about to do.' and you are taking a life.

To answer Lordstar's question I don't believe you can ask for forgiveness after you die.

these are just my beleifs please don't hold them against me.

In Christ,
A Diciple  

Jessey20201

Ablazed
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:05 pm
A Diciple - No, I don't think the unforgivable sin entails suicide. That falls in line with breaking one of the 10 commandments, "thou shall not kill", but someone who commits suicide isn't exactly in their right mind. There are a lot of factors influencing that person, and it's an extreme circumstance.

I do NOT, under any circumstances, believe suicide automatically condemns a soul to hell. (I'm saying this as someone who used to BE suicidal and has lost several friends to suicide.)

lordstar- The Catholic Church teaches that you can be forgiven for sins after death. That's what purgatory is all about. It makes sense to me. God is pure, right? You cannot approach him with sin tainting your spirit. So Purgatory is a kind of path Jesus takes with you while you allow Him to wash away your sins. We as humans have this habit of holding onto our weaknesses, and accepting Jesus as savior takes more than a one time encounter. It's a difficult process for your heart. So in purgatory, souls are cleansed as we continually turn ourselves over to Jesus and allow His death on the cross to erase our sins.

Which, by the way, we're supposed to be working on doing in life, too. Being Saved is a lifelong process for us, because we are continually inclined to sin.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:48 pm
lordstar
rillegas08
lordstar

I wonder

I want to know
that is all
no real reason for asking other then to see what people think

what sort of father tells his children that it is not ok to be wrong?
that at the last moment it is too late to change their mind

enough with rule by fear  

lordstar

xxPromarkxx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:12 pm
The "unforgivable" sin is turning your back on God. It's only unforgivable because he can't forgive you unless you choose to let him.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:03 pm
xxPromarkxx
The "unforgivable" sin is turning your back on God. It's only unforgivable because he can't forgive you unless you choose to let him.

say what now?
we are able to controll what God can and cannot do?
I don't know about that....  

lordstar

iy8970970607

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:59 pm
volleyball_freak2992
what exactly is it ive read some stuff on it but i still need some clarification on it???

um, well, the only sin left truely unforgiven is the leader of the fallen angels
The one now dubbed. "Lucifer" whitch translate's to Morning Star, The real name of he, is often refered to as the Uneffable name. Though some scholars refer to this as the true name of god. If we remember our Genesis mythology we will remmber that Lilith, after the Blind dragon indcedent, and the castration of Samael, though before creation of Eve. She "flew" away by muttering the name to a c"ave of mirrors"...
Wow! I know too much forgotten myth...  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:51 am
lordstar
I wonder
I think I found the one
New life in my lungs
I'm guessing this is love
Pumping through my veins
Killing all my pain
You're the remedy to my heartbreak
Wouldn't have it any other way
Hope this never dies...

No, you can't. If you die without the salvation of Christ, then you do go to Hell. Hell is eternal separation from God, meaning that you will never be able to return to God once you have died.

Also, in case this hasn't been said (in an understandable way), the one sin that can never be forgiven is rejecting Christ's salvation. Hopefully that should make sense, because if you do reject Christ's salvation then you are essentially rejecting God.

Of course, by turning to Christ and accepting his salvation, you will be forgiven of all of your sins, past, present and future.

I feel a little strange
You go straight to my brain
Drivin' me oh so crazy
Between the sound and lights
You got me hypnotized
And if there never comes a sunrise
Well, that'd be just fine
This will never die...

Mistifear

brad175

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Guys, the unforgivable sin is unbelief.
I wish unfaith was a word. That would apply better.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff