Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adults Gaia Anonymous

Back to Guilds

A guild for adult gaians 20 or older. 

Tags: Adult, Mature, friendly, 20 and older, older 

Reply Adults Gaia Anonymous
A.G.A. Chatter Box Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:43 am
Sammirah
i've made a cute yellow and grey and orange hallowe'en avi, but i'm not quite ready to take this one off yet.

edit; i did get sick of the red and black, so here's the yellow one.

gaia_nitemareleft

Oh yes, I love it! (the red was really great too xp ) I like the way you make your avis. 3nodding I've made few times some bright colored avis my self and like humble said, it's good to browse around before buying. There are good items, but they might not be most obvious because the amount of yellow or orange items is so much smaller.

Camwen

Yeah, you have a good point there Cam. There's a difference with being straight forward and tactful. Here in Finland everyone are usually straight forward, though we of course have similar social situations where people try to politely go around the issue. If you ask for a straight answer to your question, you will most likely get a honestly straight forward one, but people still try to be diplomatic up to a certain level in certain social situations. (yeah, those "I call you" situations happens in here too).

There's lots of great conversations going on in here right now but I think I'll have to go now. Too much stuff going around in my head. I've had few super busy weeks so far and my head is just buzzing. It feels like my brains are trying to escape from my head through my ear. stressed

gaia_angelright

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:54 am
Camwen
humble_gypsy_traveller

Okay, I will have to back down on my opinion...some guys are bad for that too. Personally, I find myself being polite and indirect to mostly those I don't know well. Except when they're being horrendously rude I would tell them where to go no matter if I've just met them or not...that's just the way I am. Does it make me bad to tell it like it is most of the time? I would say no...but then again, some people would see me as rude...oh well.

You don't seem rude at all. I don't know.. maybe you come across differently online than face to face but honestly you strike me as someone who is kind and tolerant and opinionated in a good way. If someone is being horrendously rude to you then of course it's natural to react to that in a um... "direct" way. lol

Here's how I see it (you probably notice I'm quite opinionated myself lol ): If someone's need to "say it like it is" completely overrides what's appropriate for the situation then there is a problem. For example, if you are at someone's wedding and you think the bride's father is a big jerk. Are you going to tell him that to his face in front of everyone? Or will you bite your tongue so the couple can have their nice day.

There's a difference between being honest when someone asks for your opinion and just blurting out things that might be hurtful for no reason.

This applies to people who are able to understand social norms of course. Someone with certain types of autism or other mental/emotional issues might struggle more with what is appropriate or not appropriate in a given social setting.

Again, I feel I should explain myself...I tend to back out of heated situations if I can help it in joyous or intimate situations. Though I just can't seem to stand it when a person feels they need to belittle other people to make themselves feel better...at times that's just too much for me. I haven't had the need to tell someone where to go in the AGA because we have a group of well meaning people. I have to say that you hold a good ship. With people that have mental deficiencies...there are those that just can't help what they're going through...then there are those that use their deficiency as an excuse to be a sorry jackass...those I weed out, can't stand and tell where to go. Funny thing...after they've been put in their place...they still want to be a friend. I know, I know, they may have not been aware of what just went on...but like I said (in carefully chosen situations), I feel that I need to tell them where to go.  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:25 am
humble_gypsy_traveller

Again, I feel I should explain myself...I tend to back out of heated situations if I can help it in joyous or intimate situations. Though I just can't seem to stand it when a person feels they need to belittle other people to make themselves feel better...at times that's just too much for me. I haven't had the need to tell someone where to go in the AGA because we have a group of well meaning people. I have to say that you hold a good ship. With people that have mental deficiencies...there are those that just can't help what they're going through...then there are those that use their deficiency as an excuse to be a sorry jackass...those I weed out, can't stand and tell where to go. Funny thing...after they've been put in their place...they still want to be a friend. I know, I know, they may have not been aware of what just went on...but like I said (in carefully chosen situations), I feel that I need to tell them where to go.

I'm not sure I understood that first part. Are you saying that even if a situation is a happy one, if it gets to a certain level of intimacy you feel uncomfortable? Like if someone close to you gets really emotional? Or did I interpret that wrong.

As for reacting when someone belittles someone else - in most cases it seems reasonable to call them out on it. But maybe you see yourself as being more sensitive to that than the the average person?

You probably did the people that used their mental deficiency as an excuse to be rude a favor by calling them on it. They most likely just learned they could get away with it because everyone else let them be that way. And it was harder for them play that card with you as opposed to someone with no health issues.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:55 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
Sammirah
Camwen
Sammirah
Camwen

I don't find this to be true. One thing I think can seem confusing is that women (not all but more so than men) are brought up to be more accommodating. We end up being less direct if we think something would involve hurting someone's feelings.

Take the example of a guy wanting to date a girl who is not interested in him. She, trying to let him down easy, might say something like "I'm just too busy right now to date anyone." The guy chooses to take this at face value and then is very surprised to see she is going out with someone else a week later. He decides women are flaky and don't know what they want - when the truth is she just wasn't in to him and was trying to be polite.

But the whole "women don't know what they want" is in my opinion a false stereotype.

i agree that women tend to be less direct and men more so.

There's still a little bit of... a woman being direct = bitchy and a man being direct = confidant and assertive. Or at least that's the fear for some of us. But there are whole cultures where it's impolite to be direct. I think especially in the US we (in general) like to get to the point. In some Asian countries you have to circle around an issue as a rule. It's considered very rude if you skip all the social formalities.

it's like that in bhutan, for sure. everyone is expected to beat around the bush if they want something or have something critical or negative to say, and i would say it applies even moreso to women. having been here for almost 2 years i just don't give a darn any more about protocol. i won't be rude, but i am very direct, and if someone gives me a useless or too vague reply, i will call them on it.

I like your style sammy...I'm that way too...may it help or hurt...just get it across straight.

it's sort of a habit i picked up from a long time ago, and that is that, when communicating with someone, i need them to be really clear in their expectations of me. this usually applies to work or school situations where a teacher/boss/co-worker is giving me instructions and i want to be really sure of what i'm supposed to do. i'm a do-it-right-the-first-time kind of person.

i've also been standing up for myself a lot more since i got out of a long-term emotionally abusive relationship a couple of years ago. now, if i need something i ask for it.

in general i'd rather be a b***h who knows what's going on than a passive weak person who is also confused.  

Sammirah
Vice Captain

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Sammirah
Vice Captain

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:00 pm
Camwen
Sammirah
hey, i was thinking it would be cool to have a place to discuss news and current events type things. do you think it would be better to just give each topic its own thread in the main forum, or have one news thread, or have a news subforum? the only thing about the last option is that the subforums tend to see a little less traffic, so i'm think about one of the other two...

Not sure exactly what would be best for this. Normally this chatterbox thread could serve that purpose since we can talk about anything here. But...

In my mind there there are two reasons for needing a separate thread for news/current events; first would be if you're worried that the topic at hand would get too lost with other stuff before you're done wanting to discuss it, and second because those subjects often lead to political discussion and things can get more heated than we want for the chatterbox.

Let me ask you this - when you say news and current events, give an example of what you have in mind?

If we want a separate thread for real in-depth discussion of world events/politics then I would say a separate thread here in the main forum would be best. One thread should be fine. A thread for each separate topic would get to be too messy.

i think a thread in the main forum would be sufficient too. a thread for each thing would be too much.

for topics, i'm mostly just thinking about news items that any of us come across and want to discuss with each other. i spend a lot of time online just reading news and blogs and things, and like to talk about them.

i'll make a thread later, but i've gotta jet to school in not too soon.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:53 pm
Sammirah
humble_gypsy_traveller
Sammirah
Camwen
Sammirah
Camwen

I don't find this to be true. One thing I think can seem confusing is that women (not all but more so than men) are brought up to be more accommodating. We end up being less direct if we think something would involve hurting someone's feelings.

Take the example of a guy wanting to date a girl who is not interested in him. She, trying to let him down easy, might say something like "I'm just too busy right now to date anyone." The guy chooses to take this at face value and then is very surprised to see she is going out with someone else a week later. He decides women are flaky and don't know what they want - when the truth is she just wasn't in to him and was trying to be polite.

But the whole "women don't know what they want" is in my opinion a false stereotype.

i agree that women tend to be less direct and men more so.

There's still a little bit of... a woman being direct = bitchy and a man being direct = confidant and assertive. Or at least that's the fear for some of us. But there are whole cultures where it's impolite to be direct. I think especially in the US we (in general) like to get to the point. In some Asian countries you have to circle around an issue as a rule. It's considered very rude if you skip all the social formalities.

it's like that in bhutan, for sure. everyone is expected to beat around the bush if they want something or have something critical or negative to say, and i would say it applies even moreso to women. having been here for almost 2 years i just don't give a darn any more about protocol. i won't be rude, but i am very direct, and if someone gives me a useless or too vague reply, i will call them on it.

I like your style sammy...I'm that way too...may it help or hurt...just get it across straight.

it's sort of a habit i picked up from a long time ago, and that is that, when communicating with someone, i need them to be really clear in their expectations of me. this usually applies to work or school situations where a teacher/boss/co-worker is giving me instructions and i want to be really sure of what i'm supposed to do. i'm a do-it-right-the-first-time kind of person.

i've also been standing up for myself a lot more since i got out of a long-term emotionally abusive relationship a couple of years ago. now, if i need something i ask for it.

in general i'd rather be a b***h who knows what's going on than a passive weak person who is also confused.

You go girl! Bang on! I've been starting to speak up for what I need out of life as well...a lot of people use to know me (or think they do) to not know what I want/need or know what I'm talking about because I have a brain injury...and I hated that. I got tired of it and searched for people who would hear me out (and believe me when I say it's still a hard ongoing search); so I'm slowly getting the respect I know I deserve...and yeah, sometimes I can't help it but be a b***h. xd  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 am
So me and spiderman106 went to go see Real Steel...and I have to tell you IT WAS AWESOME! It's got a really good mix of action, violence, hot guys, hot girls and feel good parts. I have to say, if you like robots, again, hot guys and cute girls, robots and cute kids...this is DEFINITELY the movie to see!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 pm
nothing more fun that watching the faces of the ppl behind me in line as my grocery bill goes from 150.00 to 74.00. =-D .  

Teeshann

Sammirah
Vice Captain

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:12 pm
Teeshann
nothing more fun that watching the faces of the ppl behind me in line as my grocery bill goes from 150.00 to 74.00. =-D .

that's one hell of a discount card you got there.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:45 pm
humble_gypsy_traveller
So me and spiderman106 went to go see Real Steel...and I have to tell you IT WAS AWESOME! It's got a really good mix of action, violence, hot guys, hot girls and feel good parts. I have to say, if you like robots, again, hot guys and cute girls, robots and cute kids...this is DEFINITELY the movie to see!

I wasn't all that interested in the movie to be honest but I might have to rethink that since I keep hearing good things about it.

@Teeshann - my face would be in shock too! That's a huge amount off the total. eek  

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

Exxos

Captain

Aged Bibliophile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:15 am
I am not even sure what I am doing anymore. I feel out of place as I never seem to have anything to contribute to anything these days.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:47 am
Exxos
I am not even sure what I am doing anymore. I feel out of place as I never seem to have anything to contribute to anything these days.

welcome to adulthood. don't worry, very few people are actually as useless as they think they are. -hugs-  

Sammirah
Vice Captain

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:27 am
Sammirah
Exxos

welcome to adulthood. don't worry, very few people are actually as useless as they think they are. -hugs-
I'm one of them! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 am
Exxos

Do you mean in the guild specifically or life in general? Does it help to know that I feel like that sometimes too and I don't even have the excuse of having to live in your type of situation at home.

Allegro
I'm one of them! mrgreen

Owww! You just made me choke on my coffee! rofl  

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

Allegro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:17 pm
Uh oh. Burn your tongue? I can kiss it better. 4laugh  
Adults Gaia Anonymous

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games