Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adults Gaia Anonymous

Back to Guilds

A guild for adult gaians 20 or older. 

Tags: Adult, Mature, friendly, 20 and older, older 

Reply Adults Gaia Anonymous
A.G.A. Chatter Box Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:43 am
Sammirah
Nope, no damage here. I heard there's a little in Kathmandu, though.

Met the King of Bhutan again today. cool He said I'm looking well. Do you think that means he noticed I've lost about 100 lbs since I met him last year?

Wow ye get t' hobnob wi' th' royals an' all. Jus' dasn't go forgettin' us wee swabbies.

By th' way.....Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day all ye sea dogs an' land lubbers!!!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:26 am
Sammirah
We have polar bears in Canada! They're all up north though. I've never seen one. I've seen black bears, though. We have plenty of those on the island.

I think the mute stereotype is funny. As far as the comic goes, I like Finland as a character.

People in Bhutan love pointless small talk. You'll be in the market, hunched over the vegetable baskets scooping onions onto the scales, and someone you know will come up and say, "Hello! Come for shopping?" I'll be walking up the road to my house and will be asked, "Going home?" Once my boyfriend and I were sitting on the curb outside our house hanging out with the neighbours. An old woman walks by, and looks at us and says something in the local language as she passes, but I could tell from her inflection it was a statement not a question. I look at my boyfriend the way I do when I want him to translate and he tells me, "She says we're sitting."

rofl

Would that drive most Finns crazy?

gaia_nitemareleft

Oh, people would think you are some kind of crazy lady if you would do something like that in here! rofl But people wouldn't be rude to you. They would kindly smile to you and then ignore you or reply something really quickly and then walk away fast. xp Also, there could be some suspicious stares if you would go and ask people if they are going home or something like that.

gaia_angelright

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 am
Camwen
Sammirah
Nope, no damage here. I heard there's a little in Kathmandu, though.

Met the King of Bhutan again today. cool He said I'm looking well. Do you think that means he noticed I've lost about 100 lbs since I met him last year?

Wow ye get t' hobnob wi' th' royals an' all. Jus' dasn't go forgettin' us wee swabbies.

By th' way.....Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day all ye sea dogs an' land lubbers!!!

gaia_nitemareleft

Arrr, it's talk like a pirate day, eh? We ha' some fancy royals in 'ere too. They be sailin' in the coast, visitin' some towns. It's th' future queen of sweden and her hubby. Arrr. Fine lass wi' a smart head between 'er shoulders. cat_pirate

gaia_angelright

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:04 pm
Oooh a L4D based RP.
So excited.  

S u n n i e pea

Codebreaking Genius

7,150 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100

Sammirah
Vice Captain

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:41 pm
Lilygwen
Sammirah
We have polar bears in Canada! They're all up north though. I've never seen one. I've seen black bears, though. We have plenty of those on the island.

I think the mute stereotype is funny. As far as the comic goes, I like Finland as a character.

People in Bhutan love pointless small talk. You'll be in the market, hunched over the vegetable baskets scooping onions onto the scales, and someone you know will come up and say, "Hello! Come for shopping?" I'll be walking up the road to my house and will be asked, "Going home?" Once my boyfriend and I were sitting on the curb outside our house hanging out with the neighbours. An old woman walks by, and looks at us and says something in the local language as she passes, but I could tell from her inflection it was a statement not a question. I look at my boyfriend the way I do when I want him to translate and he tells me, "She says we're sitting."

rofl

gaia_nitemareleft

Oh, people would think you are some kind of crazy lady if you would do something like that in here! rofl But people wouldn't be rude to you. They would kindly smile to you and then ignore you or reply something really quickly and then walk away fast. xp Also, there could be some suspicious stares if you would go and ask people if they are going home or something like that.

gaia_angelright

Here, when you meet people in town and stuff, they say "Where are you going?" whereas in Canada we'd say "How are you?" or "What's up?"

Also, when people call you on the phone, they usually start with "Where are you?" I've been here a year and a half and it's still disconcerting.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:32 pm
Sammirah
Lilygwen
Sammirah

rofl

gaia_nitemareleft

gaia_angelright

Here, when you meet people in town and stuff, they say "Where are you going?" whereas in Canada we'd say "How are you?" or "What's up?"

Also, when people call you on the phone, they usually start with "Where are you?" I've been here a year and a half and it's still disconcerting.

I think it's an Asian thing. I learned when I was in China that people pretty much never say things like "hi," "hello," or "how are you?" It' always are you going home? are you shopping? It's not that they're being nosy necessarily - it's just their equivalent of us saying "hello"  

Camwen

Distinct Dabbler

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm
Rainbow_p0rn
Thehttp://gaiarch.gaiatools.com/emotes/00hoshiz.gif[/img]00] soul would have no rainbow

hi all smile im new
had the eyes no tears.

Well hi there...I'm sort of new...well to AGA anyways. These are a great bunch of people...so hope ya come back often.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:42 pm
Allegro
humble_gypsy_traveller
Allegro
Canadians. gonk

What's wrong with Canadians...hmmm? *scowls at you, crossing her arms over her chest and tapping her toe*
oh god please don't hurt me with your vicious elk cavalry

I don't have free health care!

*ready's the elk cavalry, the team Canada hockey team with slapshots cocked and the Yukon black bear front line* Don't advance till you see the whites of their eyes mates! xp  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

Sammirah
Vice Captain

Shirtless Prophet

10,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:36 am
Camwen
Sammirah
Lilygwen
Sammirah

rofl

gaia_nitemareleft

gaia_angelright

I think it's an Asian thing. I learned when I was in China that people pretty much never say things like "hi," "hello," or "how are you?" It' always are you going home? are you shopping? It's not that they're being nosy necessarily - it's just their equivalent of us saying "hello"

And I think that in part relates to different ideas of what is private. When someone asks me here where i am or where I'm going, my first reaction is still a defensive one. It's strange; people are intensely private about certain things; my students think it's an absolute hoot that I'm open about the fact that I have a boyfriend, but wouldn't understand why I feel it's none of your business where I am, or going, or went.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:00 am
If I ever was in Finland again, I would probably make a bee-line for Lilygwen's house. The time I was there, I can see where the idea of rudeness comes from. Finns don't say much (perhaps because by the time they use three words, they've ran out of their daily ration of ä's? rofl ) and when they do, they are blunt. They have no time for piddling about unless they know you... and then you get 2 piddles and a pid at best. rofl Though to an 8 year old trying to translate directions requests for his psychotic mother? They could have been a bit more patient. sweatdrop  

Exxos

Captain

Aged Bibliophile

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:17 am
gaia_nitemareleft

Exxos

I'm confident that if you would visit Finland again, you would see that things are changed. smile Also, if I remember correctly you were here during the early 90's when there was a huge depression in Finland. That could of also had something to do with peoples attitude. xd

Sammirah

Yeah, there are lots of differences between cultures with accepted and unaccepted stuff you can chat in everyday conversations. In some places is thought of rude to talk about work in your free time etc and it all depends on what is considered to be private in that culture. I just realized that in here people do that same that they ask "where you are" when they call some one. This happens though only when you are really familiar with the person. whee

gaia_angelright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 am
I'm having the worst roleplaying itch in my entire life right now. x.x
And I'd feel hella stupid to PM someone and be all like 'wanna roleplay with moi? ^o^; '

Barton town, you fail so bad.

S u n n i e pea

Codebreaking Genius

7,150 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Overstocked 200
  • Invisibility 100

Lilygwen
Crew

Aged Explorer

7,450 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Bookworm 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:09 am
gaia_nitemareleft

I'm banging my head against wall with local train company. How hard is it to get your money back from unsuccessful webshop transfer. emotion_facepalm

gaia_angelright

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:09 pm
Lilygwen
I'm confident that if you would visit Finland again, you would see that things are changed. smile Also, if I remember correctly you were here during the early 90's when there was a huge depression in Finland. That could of also had something to do with peoples attitude. xd

Yes, things would change because I would just go straight to your house and you are obligated to be nice to your friends. biggrin

1989, so heading into the destabilizations that caused said depression.  

Exxos

Captain

Aged Bibliophile

Exxos

Captain

Aged Bibliophile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:17 am
I don't normally openly ask for avatar critique, but this one is a little outside my norm and I was wondering what people's impressions were.  
Adults Gaia Anonymous

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 ... 1775 1776 1777 1778 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games