*~Let the Fire Fall ~* A Christian Guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Debate and Discussion
Ask a Wiccan Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you familiar with the beliefs of Wicca?
Yes
46%
 46%  [ 23 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 8 ]
A little bit
38%
 38%  [ 19 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:44 pm
Hello,

I've been lurking on this board for awhile now in order to try to answer any question or clear up any misconceptions regarding Wicca. So I thought it only polite to introduce myself.

I have been a practicing Wiccan for nearly 20 years, and I have been High Priestess of my own coven for over 10 years. (My skin isn't green and I don't have a wart on the end of my nose though! LOL!). I know that there are a lot of misconceptions out there about what Wiccans believe and do. And it is my sincere belief that the way that we learn to get along and not fear each other is by talking about our spiritual journeys so that we can each understand the other.

So feel free to ask away with anything you want. I will try my best to offer you good information and help you understand why some of us chose this particular path.

-Lark-  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:15 pm
Why did you choose Wicca and why you stayed in it for nearly 20 years?  

Metanoeo

pnai_pride777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:37 pm
did you study:
white magic
black magic
or natural magic

[[one of my best friends actaully used to be a wicca so she told me about different types of magic]]  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:31 pm
Reformed Baptist
Why did you choose Wicca and why you stayed in it for nearly 20 years?

As with many of us who came to Wicca back in it's early days in this country I had been raised in the Christian church and thought myself a devout Christian. However, I found that I had questions about life and how I perceived the world that Christianity was not answering for me.

In 1969 I went to Vietnam as an Army nurse, and my experiences there left me with no belief in any religion at all. And I remained an atheist for many years.

Then in 1990, about the time we were getting involved in Desert Storm I was having problems with dealing with the emotions of impending warfare. I had been walking in my upper meadow one summer evening and as I watched the sunset I thought to myself that if I would believe in anything again it would be in the old Gods of my ancestors. There was a sort of cosmic chuckle in the back of my head and a voice saying "It took you long enough!"

The next day I received a catalog in the mail which had some books in it on Wicca. I had never heard of Wicca but it seemed something I had to look into. As soon as I started reading the books I realized that they were talking about things I believed. It was that feeling of "coming home" that many Pagans describe when they embark on this path. So I began to practice the religion, first as a solitary, and later as part of a coven.

As to why I've stayed with it this long? Why does anyone stay with a spiritual path? I stay with it because it speaks to my spiritual needs. It has given me a closer and very personal relationship with my patron Deities. It has made me a better and stronger person, helping me deal with issues of anger and pain left from serving in Vietnam. It has helped me assist others in finding their paths and become better people. It has brought me peace.

-Lark-  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:41 pm
pnai_pride777
did you study:
white magic
black magic
or natural magic

[[one of my best friends actaully used to be a wicca so she told me about different types of magic]]

Your friend has a common misunderstanding of the nature of magic.

Magic has no color, it is not black or white, or grey, or purple-spotted. Magic is simply a form of energy which each of us holds inside of them and which is present in all of the creation around us. And all magic is natural. It is something that anyone can do, if they are taught how.

Think of it like electricity. Electricity is simply a form of energy. It can warm and light your home. Or it can be used to kill. Does that make electricity black or white? No. Same thing with magic. Magic just is. What determines how the magic is used is the intent of the person using it.

Wiccans do use magic as part of our religion. Perhaps the best way to explain it is this.... When a Christian wishes to have the universe change shape to meet their desires they pray to God, and if God is willing He makes the change in the Universe, grants the favor, etc that the Christian asked for. Wiccans believe that our Gods have given us the power to directly change the shape of things by ourselves..that is what magic is.

As a Wiccan I did train in how to use magic, and I have used it on many occasions. I use magic every time I cast a circle for ritual, or charge my tools. I also occasionally engage in spellwork for things such as healing or protection. I have never engaged in any baneful magic such as hexes or curses. Do I know how to do that? Of course, once you know how magic works you can use it both to hex or to heal..because the process is all the same. But Wiccans also operate under an ethical code which advises that we try to live our lives doing as little harm as posible to any around us. And I hold to the belief that I should never do anything magically I would not be willing to do mundanely. So if I would not attack someone physically, why would it be right to do it magically.

-Lark-  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:46 am
Here's an interesting one: how do you respond to the Satanic views on magic, and, more specifically, their contempt for your magical practices?  

loIitoads

Metanoeo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:48 am
TN_Lark
As to why I've stayed with it this long? Why does anyone stay with a spiritual path? I stay with it because it speaks to my spiritual needs. It has given me a closer and very personal relationship with my patron Deities. It has made me a better and stronger person, helping me deal with issues of anger and pain left from serving in Vietnam. It has helped me assist others in finding their paths and become better people. It has brought me peace.

Tell me what exactly draws you to wicca in terms of spiritual needs? How does it make you better person? What is your view on Christianity today?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:41 am
catgirlsPLZ
Here's an interesting one: how do you respond to the Satanic views on magic, and, more specifically, their contempt for your magical practices?

I don't really worry about how Satanists view my religion or my magical practice. I don't agree with their views, but they are entitled to hold them.

When it gets right down to it in regards to anyone's religion, it doesn't matter what others believe. The only thing which is important is how you feel and what you know to be true in your heart.

To turn it around...I don't particularly agree with the beliefs of Satanists either..and I'm sure that bothers them not at all.

Since I'm not a Satanist their belief and opinions are meaningless to me.

-Lark-  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:13 am
Reformed Baptist
[Tell me what exactly draws you to wicca in terms of spiritual needs? How does it make you better person? What is your view on Christianity today?

To answer your last question first. I believe that the teachings of Christianity as are attributed to Jesus are a lovely religion..just not for me. However, it seems to me that many Christians today are forgetting that at the heart of Jesus' teachings was the admonition to love others. I believe that he meant for each of us to love ALL others (as he showed in the stories regarding both the tax collector and the prostitute), but that it has come to mean love others ONLY IF THEY ARE JUST LIKE ME. So I hear Christian churches who preach hate against homosexuals, Catholics, Pagans like me, and anyone else that they see as not being in accord with their particular beliefs. Is this the message that you believe Jesus died to teach?

In regards to your question about how Wicca meets my spiritual needs, I would say that it is because it has given me a direct and personal relationship with my Gods. I speak to them and they speak back to me. I feel that connection with the Divine in everything I do, in the world around me, in the people I interact with.

Finally in regards to your question about how Wicca has made me a better person. One of the beliefs of Wicca is that our Gods are not only transcendant but also immanent. They are present in all of their creation, and that includes each of us. Being Wiccan means that I try my best to treat everyone that I meet with the same courtesy and love that I would give to my Gods. I believe that has made me a kinder and more caring person. In addition, Wicca teaches us that we are personally responsible for the consequences of our actions and therefore it is absolutely necessary to think through what we are going to do and to chose that action which is most in accord with what our Gods would want us to do. And if we make a mistake in our choices and harm someone in error, it is also our responsibility to try to make things right again.

-Lark-  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:41 am
TN_Lark
To answer your last question first. I believe that the teachings of Christianity as are attributed to Jesus are a lovely religion..just not for me. However, it seems to me that many Christians today are forgetting that at the heart of Jesus' teachings was the admonition to love others. I believe that he meant for each of us to love ALL others (as he showed in the stories regarding both the tax collector and the prostitute), but that it has come to mean love others ONLY IF THEY ARE JUST LIKE ME. So I hear Christian churches who preach hate against homosexuals, Catholics, Pagans like me, and anyone else that they see as not being in accord with their particular beliefs. Is this the message that you believe Jesus died to teach?

Even Jesus told the Pharisees that they were hypocrites and their Father was the Devil. When we Christians preaching against Homosexuality, Roman Catholicism and Paganism (I dont like to use that word) we meant to rock the boat to get your attention of falsehood. We are not attacking the individual rather we are attacking ideology or beliefs of that individual because we love them. We are trying to give your knowledge so that the truth may be known. There are preachers who say that "wicked evil people deserve Hell" and the truth is we all Christians deserve Hell.

ANother question, do you believe that other religions are false?  

Metanoeo

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm
Reformed Baptist
Even Jesus told the Pharisees that they were hypocrites and their Father was the Devil. When we Christians preaching against Homosexuality, Roman Catholicism and Paganism (I dont like to use that word) we meant to rock the boat to get your attention of falsehood. We are not attacking the individual rather we are attacking ideology or beliefs of that individual because we love them. We are trying to give your knowledge so that the truth may be known. There are preachers who say that "wicked evil people deserve Hell" and the truth is we all Christians deserve Hell.

ANother question, do you believe that other religions are false?

Hmm, well I can understand trying to teach someone that you believe they are in error according to your religion. But some Christians (and by no means all) seem to go beyond that point to attacking the person themselves. When a preacher tells his congregation "God hates fags" it verges on hate speech..and it becomes hate speech if one of the congregation acts on what he perceives that the preacher wants. And a local preacher where I live has advocted reinstating burning Witches at the stake. Doesn't sound like love to me, no matter what the preacher may think.

But in general I don't worry about what Christians think about me. What is important to me is that I am firm in my own faith that what I believe is true and good for me. What Christians believe and how they act is between them and their God.

Do I believe other religions are false? Not a bit. I believe that all religions are true to their believers. There is an old Japanese saying that there are many paths to the top of Mt. Fuji, but the view from the top is the same for all. We each have our vision of the Divine and if we are true to it and live our lives in accordance to the teachings of our faith, then I believe that all faiths will lead us to reunion with the Divine in whatever form we believe in it.

So I believe that Christianity is right for its followers and that a Christian who lives according to the tenets of his faith will eventually be reunited with his God in heaven.

And I believe that Wicca is also true and that if I live in accordance to Wiccan teachings I will be united with my Gods in the Summerland and eventually be reborn here on earth.

To my mind none of these have to be mutually exclusive.

A question for you. Why do you not like to use the term Pagan? We who are Pagans have no problem with claiming that title.

-Lark-  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:42 pm
TN_Lark

Do I believe other religions are false? Not a bit. I believe that all religions are true to their believers. There is an old Japanese saying that there are many paths to the top of Mt. Fuji, but the view from the top is the same for all. We each have our vision of the Divine and if we are true to it and live our lives in accordance to the teachings of our faith, then I believe that all faiths will lead us to reunion with the Divine in whatever form we believe in it.

Hi, I'm Brad. I'm a Christian, so naturally I disagree. I believe that Jesus is the only way to the divine. I just wanted to say that before I moved on.
Respectfully, I disagree with you concerning the logic behind the ideology.

Let's take a look at an example of truth. Gravity is a good example. If a person is standing on top of a skyscraper and says to themself "I don't believe in gravity," and then jumps off the edge, will they fall? The answer is obviously yes. As gravity has demonstrated, truth is set in stone. It is unaffected by perception or opinion. Therefore, the thought that all religions and philosophies lead to the divine, when they have so many contradictory aspects is completely illogical. It would, however, be more logical to claim that all faiths lead to the divine, but you said "in whatever form we believe in it."

Could you explain your thoughts on this?  

brad175

lordstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:02 pm
brad175
TN_Lark

Hi, I'm Brad. I'm a Christian, so naturally I disagree. I believe that Jesus is the only way to the divine. I just wanted to say that before I moved on.

Let's take a look at an example of truth. Gravity is a good example. If a person is standing on top of a skyscraper and says to themself "I don't believe in gravity," and then jumps off the edge, will they fall? The answer is obviously yes. As gravity has demonstrated, truth is set in stone. It is unaffected by perception or opinion. Therefore, the thought that all religions and philosophies lead to the divine, when they have so many contradictory aspects is completely illogical. It would, however, be more logical to claim that all faiths lead to the divine, but you said "in whatever form we believe in it."

pardon me as i step into your convo

Brad, there is a theory on separate realities where each person is the center of their own world. Each world is designed by their own creator and each is interwoven into all others
Now for gravity
You believe said person did fall (and for comic relief “go splat”)
Said person not believing in gravity would believe he/she did not
And because of a conflict in the common reality both worlds would split
Thus life moves along
You with your now dead person
And who you believe to be dead walking from apartment top to apartment top

Just a thought  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:06 pm
brad175
TN_Lark

Hi Brad,

Sorry to be so long in responding but I've been gone on vacation.

You are assuming that there is only one truth. I do not ascribe to that. While gravity can be proven the beliefs of the many world religions cannot be..that's why they are based on faith and not proof, but they ARE true for their believers otherwise there is no point in following them. I think that there is truth in all religions if you look for it. I also believe that that the Divine manifests in many forms. And I believe that if you live your life in an exemplary fashion and follow the tenets of your faith you will eventually be joined with the Divine as your religion defines it.

I believe that for Christians the requirement to follow Jesus as your Savior and to obey the 10 commandments is true. And I applaud any Christian who adheres to the teachings of their faith. Anyone who follows the teachings of Christianity should be able to join with their God when they die..since that is what your Book promises.

But for those of us who are not Christian the teachings of Jesus and the laws of the Old and New Testament do not apply. We are bound only by the teachings of our own faiths and the demands of our own Gods. And that is where our "truths" divide. You hold as true that Jesus is in fact the Savior..but you cannot prove it like you would prove gravity. You can only have faith that it is true.

The same is true for a Buddhist, a Hindu, or a Wiccan. We have had different experiences of Divinity and we believe that they are true based on our personal gnosis and we have faith that we are correct.

That's the whole problem with religion...none of them can be proven to be true or false.

-Lark-  

TN_Lark

200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100

brad175

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:09 pm
To respond to lordstar, I have heard of the theory in which you speak, though I believe it to be merely speculation of an idle mind, one that all chance upon at one point in their life. "The center of your own universe." To entertain this thought was fun at a time, as sort of a "Truman Show" affair, but I now turn to falsifiable philosophies and such.

Allow me to explain myself further concerning my initial response. I was using gravity as an example that proves the rule that there is only one truth. No matter what I do or think, gravity exists in the same way. Gravity is a known truth. The fact that any particular religion cannot be proven is irrelevant. Gravity still proves that reality does not conform to beliefs. You typed "but they ARE true for their believers." Am I to assume that you believe reality is shaped, or rather formed by one's desires? If so, this sounds a lot like lordstar's response.  
Debate and Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff