Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Karaiya

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 7:34 pm
Ok, so I just found these interesting links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion-Eating_Poet_in_the_Stone_Den
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo.

Which make the linguist in me go squee. So... what do you guys think of a language composed of a very small number of words and their tones. Say five words, although if you want to go crazy you could try it with one... sweatdrop Is this possible? Am I insane? If you read the poem in the first link, you know it makes sense grammatically. Just something to think about. biggrin

HAY LOOK KARAIYA'S FIRST TOPIC IN THE MAIN GUILD FORUM. TEH WOOTS.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:08 pm
ACK! Ack ack ackack ack ACK ACK ack ACK!! (The alien language from Mars Attacks!)

On a similar note, one of my favorite linguistic quotes is "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." (--Naom Chomsky)

There's also Toki Pona if you want an extremely simplistic but still mostly practical conlang.

I love this kinda stuff. XD  

Xeigrich
Vice Captain

Eccentric Iconoclast
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:35 pm
I've known about all of those for quite some time.

I was considering changing my signature to say "BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO," but I decided against it.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:32 pm
I've heard the Chinese one. It was very well said, in my opinion. surprised

I'll stop there with the bad jokes. I just thank god Chinese has a strong written language. If all it had was hanyu pinyin and tones, we'd be screwed.  

Jazztast!c

Serali88

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:35 pm
I agree! For some reason seeing Romanised Chinese is "bad". Glad it has it's own unique writing system even though it's a bit crazy. And I like stuff like this too. Wonder what other languages do this?

I wasn't able to open the file so I wasn't able to hear what it sounded like. But I bet it was cool.  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:37 pm
I've heard something like the Buffalo one but with "badger"...  

DavidGemmell

Pistil

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:44 pm
I don't get that buffalo one.

I mean, it MOSTLY makes sense, but it just seems like a seriously uncomfortable sentence to me (don't know how else to explain it)  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:54 pm
That "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously" one is brilliant. I'm going to ask my english teacher about it, actually.

Good Day Sunshine

Serali88

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:32 pm
Yes please do because I don't get it. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:35 am
Erm... I don't get it, either. XD sweatdrop  

Homurakitsune

Sparkly Gekko

Red August

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:54 am
What's there not to get about the buffalo one?

::edit:: Let's simplify if by replacing each "buffalo" with a new word that will make more sense:
Cincinnati people [that] Cincinnati people bully, [also] bully Cincinnati people.

or the weird example Wikipedia gives:
"Buffalo people [that] Buffalo people intimidate [also happen to] intimidate Buffalo people."

Hope that clears something up...

and I'm like a year late with this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:54 am
Red August Sun
What's there not to get about the buffalo one?

::edit:: Let's simplify if by replacing each "buffalo" with a new word that will make more sense:
Cincinnati people [that] Cincinnati people bully, [also] bully Cincinnati people.

or the weird example Wikipedia gives:
"Buffalo people [that] Buffalo people intimidate [also happen to] intimidate Buffalo people."

Hope that clears something up...

and I'm like a year late with this post.

More like 11 days. And that makes muuuch more sense.  

Forgedawn
Vice Captain

Serali88

150 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:59 pm
What Forgedawn said. Red August Sun: What's the writing in your sig? I can't read it because some of the letter don't appear to be English ones.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:28 pm
Serali88
What Forgedawn said. Red August Sun: What's the writing in your sig? I can't read it because some of the letter don't appear to be English ones.
It says:
Red August
and
Igne natura renovatur integra.

Red August

The Constructed Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items